Show Meanings

Who are you?

Here are the principles on which all of my "trolling" posts are based.

1) Show concepts must arise germanely from the music, it's history and related social constructs. The theme should match the music.

2) Judge's scoring guidelines are secret because designers don't want audiences and corps questioning them.

3) Judges' post-show critiques should be public.

4) Designers should include participants in their design process. Otherwise marchers are nothing more than following orders.

5) Designers should be held accountable for their design decisions with complete explanations for each sub-concept.

6) Designers should be held accountable for changes they make including explanations to the participants.

7) Message board participants here avoid discussion about show concept because they're largely uneducated in matters of show design and concept development. They're afraid to question designers.

8) Designers often create weak show designs and weak concepts, but blame it on the corps' execution.

9) Message board participants here are hypnotized into believing that execution is the reason for rankings when it is really the show design that is the deciding differential in similarly ranked corps.

10) Marchers and fans are conditioned to ignore show elements that they don't understand. The designers are secretive and show little transparency.

11) Show concepts that are based on free-association and wordplay, or that ignore the original context of the composition, carry little meaning and lose accordingly.

you certainly have a sense of entitlement , don't you..lol

• Like 2

So... the Cadets 2015 theme was essentially selected by the Cadets as a tribute to Stalin's 20 million Russian deaths ?.... and Shostakovich's music was the vehicle for this tribute ?

Methinks somebody needs a minimum of a 10 minute time out here. Thousands of Corps, Bands, Symphonies, Orchestra's, H. S./ College Musical Ensembles etc over the years have played Shosh's 10th, and nobody has come up with this cockamamie reason for its playing of it either. Get a grip, Man. You've completely gone off the rails with this, and its just silly to think Cadets set about doing what you claim they are doing.

This isn't a concert. That's my point. This is a performance art with staging-- a different medium. For example, if you stage Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 in any performance context other than its original intention, you're exposing yourself to authenticity issues. When you stage a musical work with dance, you're must consider the music's intent and social context. Staging is a visual medium which includes all kinds of new elements-- color, form shape, character, story, dramatic interpretation and an obligation to perform it with authenticity, especially if it's a work with tragedy associated with it like Shostakovich's Tenth.

Edited by Channel3

So... the Cadets 2015 theme was essentially selected by the Cadets as a tribute to Stalin's 20 million Russian deaths ?.... and Shostakovich's music was the vehicle for this tribute ?

Methinks somebody needs a minimum of a 10 minute time out here. Thousands of Corps, Bands, Symphonies, Orchestra's, H. S./ College Musical Ensembles etc over the years have played Shosh's 10th, and nobody has come up with this cockamamie reason for its playing of it either. Get a grip, Man. You've completely gone off the rails with this, and its just silly to think Cadets set about doing what you claim they are doing.

Thousands of marching bands have not played Shostakovich's 10th. No.

Hell, MY high school is playing Shostakovich's 10th.
  • Like 1

Ayn Rand must be so proud.

I swear that reading channel3 posts is a lot like reading Ayn Rand! To quote xkcd, "I find myself enthusiastically agreeing with the first half of every sentence and then getting lost at "therefore, be a huge ######## to everyone""

It's about the only Shostakovich that gets played in Texas. I've seen whole shows based off it, and many closers that are it. Back in the day I played it.

Over in the Cadets thread, it was discussed whether they needed to add more meaning to their show.

In order for a show to be successful, does it have to have a lot of meaning and context, with an oerall teme and story/message? Or can a show that isn't very deep or meaningful thrive based on the performance of the corps alone?

The only discussion was from Channel 3 trolling the thread constantly looking for victims of his trolling behavior. He still does and we ask every one to not feed the troll so he will look else where for victims.

you certainly have a sense of entitlement , don't you..lol

PLEASE DO NOT FEED !!!!

• Like 1