Attendance SHAZZAM!

Given that in the early 1970s there were 6 or 7 times more contests than there are today, that would be a difficult thing to accomplish.

There were many major shows that each drew in excess of 10,000 back then.

Agree some of the local DCA shows in my day had few thousand and that was just a 5 corps show.

Let's just be happy it's going up for what ever reason. Hopefully both circuits are feeling the growth and can figure out a way to build on it.

Given that in the early 1970s there were 6 or 7 times more contests than there are today, that would be a difficult thing to accomplish.

There were many major shows that each drew in excess of 10,000 back then.

Absolutely, Northern Thunder. I have a Drum Corps News article that the CYO Nationals show alone had 18,000 in attendance in 1975. This year the CYO Nationals ( up over the last few years ) had 6,000. The Dream Competition at Roosevelt Stadium in New Jersey a Drum Corps News Article from 1966 reported 22,000 in attendance. The Montreal DCI Finals in 1980 had over 35,000 in actual stadium attendance. ( Quarters & Semi's approx 10,000 additional ea.) The DCI Finals were live some years on national TV, later years, PBS on delayed broadcast. For certain, even the PBS delayed DCI Finals broadcasts that national audiences could watch on their TV sets in their household would easily quadruple the numbers of fans that will catch the 2015 Finals in the off site venue of their Computer hook ups, or in the selected, designated Cinemas.

So there is no real benefit to misrepresenting attendance figures here, ie " biggest attendance ever ", or " most watched ever ", and so forth. We should be happy to simply state that there appears to be increased attendance this year over recent years, and be satisfied with that accurate, optimistic, encouraging news, all by itself.

• Like 1

Right again, BRASSO!

Any increase in stadium ticket sales is VERY positive, particularly in this economy (no, economy is not good). With some other discretionary entertainment options, particularly auto racing, live gates are down significantly. Even my beloved college football is having a problem in certain places. Near me, Bethlehem's Musikfest announced yesterday it was discounting a third of the Mainstage acts by 50% off regular ticket prices. Also local, throughout the year I have seen several concerts cancelled. Yes, this could just be a regional thing, but if it is that here, the Allentown DCI event audience didn't get the message!

From our vantage point in Sec 240, I don't remember a time - ever- when every seat around us was filled with fans instead of MM's. It was packed by 4:00pm, and I saw more MM's come up, look around, see no seats, and walk away than I can ever remember seeing on Thursday night.

(Not my quote:) "Dan Acheson is changing his underwear twice a day with reports of record attendance."

From three weeks ago, but I bet he changed again last night after the dinner break. I was packed!

From our vantage point in Sec 240, I don't remember a time - ever- when every seat around us was filled with fans instead of MM's. It was packed by 4:00pm, and I saw more MM's come up, look around, see no seats, and walk away than I can ever remember seeing on Thursday night.

(Not my quote:) "Dan Acheson is changing his underwear twice a day with reports of record attendance."

From three weeks ago, but I bet he changed again last night after the dinner break. I was packed!

Hey, Garfield,,,,,,,we're spending the weekend in 239. Don't forget to wave!

I agree with your mention of all the factors involved, I think your observations are right on ! As someone that is old style from way back, I initially was skeptical about the drum corps alliance between band America and drum corps.

I have come full circle from the old opinion that I used to have. to be in Bentonville ,Ark, or Lafayette, La and see 40 yellow school busses with band kids rolling into the show, and then to hear them cheering the corps like they were sports hero's opened my eyes. Just an expansion of the activity spread by young people

In any case it is all nice to see..............