Shuffle Off To Buffalo (TOC 8/2)

Well that negates almost an entire season of scoring/ranking. It's like BD coming in 3rd in brass down 0.8 from top or Crown placing 5th in percussion down 1.5 from top. We understand Cadets have a 5th ranked guard this season but that gap was "aggressive".

Maybe, but look at it another way - if a corps had an outstanding guard/brass/percussion (which is not matched by the rest of the corps) - should that section be scored lower just because the other sections aren't that strong? Usually the stronger section does get pulled down - with the rare exception (Blue Stars guard at DCI finals coming 4th. It should be noted that at no other time during the season did they place that high including prelims or semis). So maybe Cadet's guard just doesn't match the rest of the corps but have had their score pulled up because of the strength of brass, percussion and marching? Then a judge has the courage to call it as they see it?

I could be talking rubbish but just a theory......

Edited by DCI-86

I've been reading this comment on here quite a bit, so I took special care last night to pay attention to what was going on with the props (books/ benches and ladders). Honestly, they were creatively used throughout the show. Some of the best use of props I saw last night. Why is there no complaining about SCV's Tesla coils that just sit on the perimeter for much of the show? I have no problem with them personally, and I think they're used effectively. However, they are not nearly as well-integrated as BD's props. As Alton Brown would say, they are mono-taskers, whereas BD's props are multi-taskers.

Also, about the penalty thing, what would they be assessed a penalty for? Do they leave a mess on the field after their show for another corps to deal with? I didn't see that. I'm assuming you mean that. Otherwise, your comment is quite silly.

I think both the book props and tall chairs were very creatively designed to have multiple uses. The "books" spin around to turn into risers for individuals and, during the K-pop section, everyone. There is a even a big "page" on them that the guard turns in a very exaggerated manner, so not sure why people can't tell what they are. Personally I would have designed the text with a big, fancy initial cap, as was often the case in storybooks and probably done the body copy a bit differently for better projection from a distance, but that is just minor detail stuff. What they have works well.

One thing I REALLY wish they would do is put a long black streamer on the tip of the giant pens, so it would swirl around like ink when they write on the field.

Why do they even bother with the TOC performance order? Every year, every TOC show just has bunk recaps because of the jumbled performance order.

Performance order in a seven corps show doesn't mean as much as people think. Numbers management isn't difficult at all with that number. Using performance order as an excuse is lame. Great performers are great regardless of show order, and who's doing the judging.

The show title ("Ink") is announced at the beginning of the performance. The white boxes have writing (or scribbling) on them as you noted. Who in the world couldn't figure out that these are probably books?

Lots of people. The writing on the books is very hard to see for anyone not in the first several rows. Next time BD has a show on DCI Live, try watching it on high camera to get a sense of what I mean. The look like plain white blocks from a distance. That's how I saw BD's show the first two times, and when I subsequently saw people on these forums referring to books, I was temporarily very confused about what they meant. Likewise, only at the last moment at Dublin did I realize that one of the characters was the "Pied Piper" that others have mentioned here. The show seems not to be designed visually with most of the live audience in mind, but almost for camera close-ups.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

If any other guard left a mess on the field like BD guard does, would they get penalized?

I've been reading this comment on here quite a bit, so I took special care last night to pay attention to what was going on with the props (books/ benches and ladders). Honestly, they were creatively used throughout the show. Some of the best use of props I saw last night. Why is there no complaining about SCV's Tesla coils that just sit on the perimeter for much of the show? I have no problem with them personally, and I think they're used effectively. However, they are not nearly as well-integrated as BD's props. As Alton Brown would say, they are mono-taskers, whereas BD's props are multi-taskers.

Also, about the penalty thing, what would they be assessed a penalty for? Do they leave a mess on the field after their show for another corps to deal with? I didn't see that. I'm assuming you mean that. Otherwise, your comment is quite silly.

I suspect "penalized" in that post meant not a penalty for a rule infraction (as for Boston Crusaders using a powder which arguably could leave a residue on the field), but a reduction in score based on what jw perceives as sloppiness in BD's visuals.

Earlier in the season, a big picture look at the field during BD's performances, especially in the second half of the show, definitely gave some viewers a sense that the space was "cluttered" with rather randomly placed props. Lots more props, and much less clearly organized, than Carolina Crown had last summer, when that complaint was thrown at Crown on multiple occasions.

However, that clutter isn't specifically a guard issue, in my mind, so maybe jw is referring to something else entirely.

With all due respect to the Cadets guard members, and their hard work.....it is really hard to watch after being in the corps during the guard's glory years under April.

Just weird to me that they have become the weakness.

Please hire new designers.

With all due respect to the Cadets guard members, and their hard work.....it is really hard to watch after being in the corps during the guard's glory years under April.

Just weird to me that they have become the weakness.

Please hire new designers.

Designers, choreographers, staff, or all of the above?