Shuffle Off To Buffalo (TOC 8/2)

Unfortunately Cadets strength (music), judges keep the gaps tight, Cadets weakness (guard), the gaps are huge. So Cadets are in a race for bronze. Sigh...

I did not know that the Cadets are out of the top 2 spots today, and are now " in a race for the bronze". Something must have happened overnight that I missed. So this morning, who are the other Corps that the Cadets are competing with that are also out of the top 2, and whom the Cadets will presumably now have their race with for the bronze ?

Edited by BRASSO

Unfortunately Cadets strength (music), judges keep the gaps tight, Cadets weakness (guard), the gaps are huge. So Cadets are in a race for bronze. Sigh...I hope Cadets re evaluate their guard program. It's been unimpressive for many years with an occasional exception. Need a new caption head and techs. Poor design and sloppy.

Sadly it's really not a mystery. Just talk to any of the amazing guard foks who've been on that team and have all eventually left. It's a very, very long list.

• Like 1

I think the guard scores last night were about right and truth be told, Cadet's guard is closer in scoring range to Cavies and Blue Stars than they are to Devils and Crown. They never really get a chance to shine and just spin relentlessly with an uninspiring book and sloppy dance technique. Sorry to say but this is what will stop them winning and possibly see them in 4th this coming weekend.

They need some creative writers on the guard team next year.

I wonder if people in Buffalo have heard of periscope yet.

Just focused on enjoying the shows we paid to see, rather than playing cameraman for DCP and eating up my data. =) (Not that I don't appreciate those who do decide to periscope shows. It just wasn't my top priority last night.)

As for scores, I agree with placements, and don't have much of a comment on spreads. With me being a brass player, and Crown's and Cadet's weaknesses being percussion and guard, respectively, I can really just say that I enjoyed the hell out of all of the shows. Crown's "abandon all hope" percussion feature at the start of the show is a bit out of place, but they've done a good job of cleaning it to my ears. Not spotless, and not exactly thrilling, but cleaner. Was really heartbroken for BLOO. Glad I got a chance to see their run-through at rehearsal, and even more glad that the drum corps newbies I brought with me did.

Overall, just a fantastic night of drum corps.

Sadly it's really not a mystery. Just talk to any of the amazing guard foks who've been on that team and have all eventually left. It's a very, very long list.

Why do they leave? They can maintain such consistency at least in the top-tier brass, percussion, and I think marching instructors -- why not in the guard program, when they were at the top of the heap much of the 90s?

I have an honest question for an honest answer.. If any other guard left a mess on the field like BD guard does would they get penalized??

While they perform the most out their program, it has some design flaws. Or have they made it more clear that, for just one of multiple instances, the white boxes are books? I asked random people sitting around me in Dublin, ten rows down from the top in a stadium that's not too high, because I could only just make out that there was writing on them, and the only folks who knew those things were books were ones who had been told about the show in advance.

The show title ("Ink") is announced at the beginning of the performance. The white boxes have writing (or scribbling) on them as you noted. Who in the world couldn't figure out that these are probably books?

• Like 1

I think the guard scores last night were about right and truth be told, Cadet's guard is closer in scoring range to Cavies and Blue Stars than they are to Devils and Crown. They never really get a chance to shine and just spin relentlessly with an uninspiring book and sloppy dance technique. Sorry to say but this is what will stop them winning and possibly see them in 4th this coming weekend.

They need some creative writers on the guard team next year.

Well that negates almost an entire season of scoring/ranking. It's like BD coming in 3rd in brass down 0.8 from top or Crown placing 5th in percussion down 1.5 from top. We understand Cadets have a 5th ranked guard this season but that gap was "aggressive". Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

The show title ("Ink") is announced at the beginning of the performance. The white boxes have writing (or scribbling) on them as you noted. Who in the world couldn't figure out that these are probably books?

And high up they don't resemble books but rather white boxes.
  • Like 2

I have an honest question for an honest answer.. If any other guard left a mess on the field like BD guard does would they get penalized??

I've been reading this comment on here quite a bit, so I took special care last night to pay attention to what was going on with the props (books/ benches and ladders). Honestly, they were creatively used throughout the show. Some of the best use of props I saw last night. Why is there no complaining about SCV's Tesla coils that just sit on the perimeter for much of the show? I have no problem with them personally, and I think they're used effectively. However, they are not nearly as well-integrated as BD's props. As Alton Brown would say, they are mono-taskers, whereas BD's props are multi-taskers.

Also, about the penalty thing, what would they be assessed a penalty for? Do they leave a mess on the field after their show for another corps to deal with? I didn't see that. I'm assuming you mean that. Otherwise, your comment is quite silly.

Edited by zachariaswmb
  • Like 2