Shuffle Off To Buffalo (TOC 8/2)

Is the show in Buffalo still on? Rumors are that there's a lake-effect storm brewing and up to three feet of snow is in the forecast . That seems unusually early to me. Don't they generally get these first Erie snowstorms around Labor Day or so?

Just last week, I saw that some of Buffalo's snow piles from last season yet persist.

While they perform the most out their program, it has some design flaws. Or have they made it more clear that, for just one of multiple instances, the white boxes are books? I asked random people sitting around me in Dublin, ten rows down from the top in a stadium that's not too high, because I could only just make out that there was writing on them, and the only folks who knew those things were books were ones who had been told about the show in advance.

I keep wondering if they're gonna do anything about that. It was mid-July before I realized there was actually writing in the book props.

While they perform the most out their program, it has some design flaws. Or have they made it more clear that, for just one of multiple instances, the white boxes are books? I asked random people sitting around me in Dublin, ten rows down from the top in a stadium that's not too high, because I could only just make out that there was writing on them, and the only folks who knew those things were books were ones who had been told about the show in advance.

Well if that's the case i am no longer buying my daughter's excuses of not seeing certain things when she doesn't clean her room properly, cause i took her to her first drum corps ever at the Rose Bowl in June. She has zero knowledge of anything drum corps and we was sitting three rows from the top of the stadium and when BD's show started, she said Dad look the girls coming outta the books!!

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 3

wvu80, on 03 Aug 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:snapback.png

[*]Bluecoats - Good but not great in any category

I beg to differ

I apologize, and your point is well taken. I didn't mean to disparage or demean their show this year.

Apparently I was being too brief with my description. For their on-field performance and speaking as a fan, I agree with you more than I agree with me, Bluecoats this year are fantastic. Great horns, innovative show, and I love their drums. It wouldn't surprise me if their percussion won this year, they are that good.

They are only "good" and not great in the sense that the judges have adjudicated 3 other corps above them in virtually every caption. I don't know how else to get around that one sticking point in a competitive activity.

Edited by wvu80

Just last week, I saw that some of Buffalo's snow piles from last season yet persist.

unreal.

wvu80, on 03 Aug 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:snapback.png

I apologize, and your point is well taken. I didn't mean to disparage or demean their show this year.

Apparently I was being too brief with my description. For their on-field performance and speaking as a fan, I agree more with you than I agree with me, Bluecoats this year are fantastic. Great horns, innovative show, and I love their drums. It wouldn't surprise me if their percussion won this year, they are that good.

They are only "good" and not great in the sense that the judges have adjudicated 3 other corps above them in virtually every caption. I don't know how else to get around that one sticking point.

I think part of the problem is that sometimes we (royal we) get hung up in the fact that if our favorite show isn't winning, it means the rest of them above our favorite must suck. I know my favorite show this summer doesn't look like it will be in finals. I'm not hung up about it...just a little disappointed. I don't hate the corps that will keep them out...quite the contrary.

• Like 1

In a large part: figure skating, gymnastics, and diving. In a smaller part: ski jumping ("style points"). There are almost certainly others.

A few other highly subjective, judged sports :

Baton Twirling

Dressage

Dog Shows

Ice Yachting

Kite Flying

Cluster Ballooning

Women's Revenge

• Like 2

Disappointed that the gap decreased but glad to see Phantom's still on top. Another positive: apparently Phantom outplayed SCV in terms of brass tonight. Pretty nice milestone.

I thought they outplayed them 3 weeks ago. I don't have much good to say on phantoms show, but their brass is underrated

• Like 1

Of course. I guess there's no need to even worry about the scores. Just look at the panel and we'll already know.

Unfortunately that is mostly true!

Not crazy.

Every time I see Cadet's CG on DCI Live! their flag's flippity's are not together. Flippity is a color guard technical term in which the flags all start and stop together at the same time.

Flippity.

Cadets need to really improve on their movement for next summer - when comparing dance/movement from Cadets (unrefined and lacking precision) to the clarity of BD and Crown, sadly the scoring is about right

• Like 1