Staff changes 2016

A couple of quick thoughts:

• While it's a fun exercise to speculate on staff changes, particularly in the sense of a "fantasy league" where you could combine the different talents of composer/designers in tantalizing combinations, we are are discussing people's lives working in/for a youth activity here.
  • Quite a number of these people depend on design and instructional fees for a significant (if not total) portion of their incomes.
  • Also, somewhat like coaches, endorsement contracts with manufacturers are dependent on high-profile employment, in most cases.
  • Paradoxically, many design people double as administrative staff, etc. for various corps.
  • Then there are the people who actually donate their time and talents either totally or partially to the cause - yes, even some "name" folks!
  • Given the large number of people (with egos!) on 21st Century design teams, sometimes you can't judge person's skills directly from the product. (one Donald Hill immediately comes to mind - he has written beautifully for several world/national champions). Things are definitely done by committee in many cases . . .

I would suggest that, since these people aren't exactly in the professional sports class of remuneration/representation, we could be a bit more sensitive at times to the actual human dynamics involved.

• Like 5

So maybe Ferrell should go back to teaching horns and let someone with some creativity lead the corps and the design staff. It sure ain't happening under him

• Like 1

Say what you like, but take the name Ferrell out of the picture both board and staff wise, and I'd bet a lot of money that you would see major positive changes.

For someone who thinks they know what's best for the Regiment you could at least get the spelling of the guy's name right. Gosh.

• Like 1

You're right

Sorry bout that but it's my opinion and I've said all I have say on the subject

Edited by war eagle

I wonder how many of the people calling for his ouster actually marched under him? I did, and I only remember people respecting the hell out of him, myself included. He and Jim Wren WERE the identity and driving force behind the Regiment hornline. Granted, it's been over twenty years since I was involved with the corps but all of the recent demonization of him on DCP feels very foreign to me.

He is the program coordinator (the producer & the director), the one responsible for bringing all parts of the production together and responsible for its outcome.

I too marched under Dan and remember very well how meticulous he was as music director / brass lead. He and Jim Wren, along with Dan Richardson have a synergy that truly is Phantom Regiment.

I always refer back to the signature Regiment sound (Dark, Rich and Soulful) that Dan and Jim et. al. made famous in '89 after two strong seasons of rebuilding.

PR is very fraternal. They are the Chicago Symphony Orchestra of DCI. Everyone knows what they do best. They may not be as avante garde as some, but they are innovative in their own way and have proven that avante garde isn't necessary to win. Doing it a little "old school" does just fine!

Win the crowd! Win the show!

• Like 3

He is the program coordinator (the producer & the director), the one responsible for bringing all parts of the production together and responsible for its outcome.

I too marched under Dan and remember very well how meticulous he was as music director / brass lead. He and Jim Wren, along with Dan Richardson have a synergy that truly is Phantom Regiment.

I always refer back to the signature Regiment sound (Dark, Rich and Soulful) that Dan and Jim et. al. made famous in '89 after two strong seasons of rebuilding.

PR is very fraternal. They are the Chicago Symphony Orchestra of DCI. Everyone knows what they do best. They may not be as avante garde as some, but they are innovative in their own way and have proven that avante garde isn't necessary to win. Doing it a little "old school" does just fine!

Win the crowd! Win the show!

Extremely well put. Thank you.

Say what you like, but take the name Ferrell out of the picture both board and staff wise, and I'd bet a lot of money that you would see major positive changes.

You dont now what you are talking about and you are making assumptions without ever being there. Since you dont seem to believe what I have to say and I think you only listen maybe to hearsay or nathsayers. You all seem to forget we are a pretty successful corps over the years. I dont see you all bashing Madison or the Cavaliers due to their place ment in the last few years. I would really like to know what you have against Tim and Dan.

You dont now what you are talking about and you are making assumptions without ever being there. Since you dont seem to believe what I have to say and I think you only listen maybe to hearsay or nathsayers. You all seem to forget we are a pretty successful corps over the years. I dont see you all bashing Madison or the Cavaliers due to their place ment in the last few years. I would really like to know what you have against Tim and Dan.

Then you should probably open your eyes. Those two corps, particularly Madison, have been absolutely savaged by their alumni and fan-base. You only have to go as far as the Madison 2014 threat to see it, and man does it get *ugly*.

• Like 1

When has a uniform cost a Corps a Championship ? If you can't think of a time ( I certainly can't ), then why would ANY Corps Director want to assign a loss to a uniform ? Heck, we can just imagine the outcry if a Corps Director used the excuse and attributed his Corps loss to....... " our uniform choice".

I honestly believe that BD's decision to wear the gray uniforms in '88 had something to do with their loss that season.

Well, that, and the "random" performance order. Oh, and Madison freaking slamming Malagueña in the crowd's face...