Staff changes 2016

I hate to burst your bubble but I dont think JD is coming back. As you dont know the whole story you need to stop the speculation. If he does I would fall over in my rocking chair, As for board bashing you dont know what happens in the meetings or what is discussed as it should be. As a member of the board for a number of years many times tough decisions were made. I have no current knowledge of what is happening but I know they will try to make the right decisions in the best interest of the corps. It may not be what you all are suggesting. Many factors go into choosing new staff as to how they fit, availabilty, money, philosophy and others. So we will have to wait and see.

What do you think the chances are of his return?

No idea. He seems to be busy right now, but I don't know what he wants to do now that there are different people in play.

Really could be a good thing for him to do as well as being a great thing for the Cavaliers.

My guess is that the Cavaliers board is trying to quickly and correctly address the vacancy, and would likely be talking to everyone they're interested in now or very soon. So you can bet that they're reaching out to Gaines.

Really, I think the organization needs him and his genius.

Edited by jjeffeory

Would anyone be willing to compile a list of who is leaving which corps, and who their replacements are when they are announced? I would do it, I just don't know the best way to get that info. Something like the 2015 program and playlist thread, but for 2016 staff changes

I hear you. However, if you're a corps like the Colts and you're approaching playing on Saturday night, you have to ask as an organization "do I put up with a little <attitude, or whatever it might be>, within reason, to make finals?" You look at success and say "should I try to make sure this person stays happy?" Perhaps the answer was "no" in this case.

But I don't know what I'm talking about, as I thought Sylvester leaving BK was going to be bad news for that corps...

And who says it has anything to do with personalities? Bear in mind that some of these people are not local to the corps they work with. Other career and family commitments make it difficult to work long-term with a faraway corps.

And who says it has anything to do with personalities? Bear in mind that some of these people are not local to the corps they work with. Other career and family commitments make it difficult to work long-term with a faraway corps.

Note the comment I was responding to, hinting that it could be the fault of the individuals. My point was to say, if it was true, sometimes you have to accommodate all kinds of behavior for the good of the team. (and we don't have to be talking about drum corps)

I can't comment on that specific corps - that's just a broad statement. It could also be that the organization needs some work.

Edited by kdaddy

Would anyone be willing to compile a list of who is leaving which corps, and who their replacements are when they are announced? I would do it, I just don't know the best way to get that info. Something like the 2015 program and playlist thread, but for 2016 staff changes

This is the kind of geeky list-thing that I would normally find appealing. But the lack of respect for our peers and friends, and the general lack of concern for they and their families well-being often expressed in this thread are often too much for me.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

This is the kind of geeky list-thing that I would normally find appealing. But the lack of respect for our peers and friends, and the general lack of concern for they and their families well-being often expressed in this thread are often too much for me.

I don't think anybody is making their living off being on drum corps staff, or really even close to it.

exception would be a few corps directors.

• Like 2

People may not be making a living off it completely, but for a lot of people, teaching drum corps or designing for a drum corps opens them up to many scholastic opportunities.

So that drill designer may not make a fortune designing for XYZ corps, but his name associated with them means he has a much higher number of high schools out there calling him to write their drill in the fall with a lot of money to spend.

• Like 2

I don't think anybody is making their living off being on drum corps staff, or really even close to it.

exception would be a few corps directors.

I'm not about to debate the relative value of what each person makes and what that money and opportunity means to them and their families. Pretty much in-line with my original thought.

I'm willing to make a topic that tracks all the staff changes but

1. People are going to have to point out the changes for me. School's starting soon, I'm not going to have time to do that myself

2. Whatever changes people do point out need to be OFFICIAL and not speculation.

• Like 5