Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

I understand what they were trying to do. I think a stationary prop, that had some lighting effects that changed with the moods of the show woulda worked PERFECTLY for what they wanted. The prop just came off kinda amateurish, and the big reveal when it opens is a big let down.

I loved PC in 2012 and 2013. These past two shows though have kinda let me down. I REALLY want to love them! Really nice ballad though all that said. Thankfully, no prop malfunctions this show.

I agree! I think 2012 was the best PC show ("The Spectrum") to date. In 2013 the corps sounded great. However, the heart prop and the whole meaning of the "Transfixed" theme just didn't get presented well. It has been down hill ever since then. Already looking forward to next year to see what Pacific Crest does.

• Like 1

OC's visual package this year is great. Everything ties to the theme in subtle ways. Note the vines on the horns!

• Like 2

My first year paying for this so I was unaware that you didnt get to see all of the corps today. Seems with all of the glitches they might consider letting it air. Charge 10.00 more for the option. A theater full of screaming band kids is not the way I want to watch lol. Although the energy cant be beat!

I doubt anyone here disagrees with you, but we're not DCI, and no, the seeded-top-15 on Thursday have been theater-only for years. There are people in the US, to say nothing of worldwide, who do not live near a cinema showing Big Loud & Live--still no deal for them and everyone else. DCI's contract with Fathom Events (which distributes Big Loud & Live) probably says the theaters get it exclusively tonight. You can try tuning in on DCI Live later. Somebody posted there was a glitch one year, and it went out over the web to subscribers anyway, and there has been confusion about what would be offered this year, because many people buying the package say they saw no disclaimer that Thursday was only partly-covered before paying. But it will be a surprise.

• Like 1

Boo's blog says Mandarins have 100 horns for a section of the show. Is that a DCI record?

I doubt it, but possibly so.

Bluecoats had 24 horns the guard played, I think in 1988. So probably 72 brass plus the 24 (I think), so maybe 98, more or less.

My first year paying for this so I was unaware that you didnt get to see all of the corps today. Seems with all of the glitches they might consider letting it air. Charge 10.00 more for the option. A theater full of screaming band kids is not the way I want to watch lol. Although the energy cant be beat!

I'm fortunate that the theater I go (White Plains, NY) is usually very tame with mostly older folks that probably marched in the 70's, 80's and 90's...not crowded at all...I'm surprised the theater hasn't decided not to host the event there.

That was a nice brass run by OC...cool

• Like 1

I doubt it, but possibly so.

Bluecoats had 24 horns the guard played, I think in 1988. So probably 72 brass plus the 24 (I think), so maybe 98, more or less.

I'm not sure corps had 72 brass in the 80's. Max membership was 128, so I think most corps maxed our brass at 64.

I doubt anyone here disagrees with you, but we're not DCI, and no, the seeded-top-15 on Thursday have been theater-only for years. There are people in the US, to say nothing of worldwide, who do not live near a cinema showing Big Loud & Live--still no deal for them and everyone else. DCI's contract with Fathom Events (which distributes Big Loud & Live) probably says the theaters get it exclusively tonight. You can try tuning in on DCI Live later. Somebody posted there was a glitch one year, and it went out over the web to subscribers anyway, and there has been confusion about what would be offered this year, because many people buying the package say they saw no disclaimer that Thursday was only partly-covered before paying. But it will be a surprise.

Ill stay logged in just in case :). It is a shame especially for the parent of the performers. West coast would have to get out of work early to see it if available in their area. Kind of the whole point of paying right, to see the best of the best!

• Like 1