Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

I am going to finals tomorrow night and I think I'll skip the anticipationg and rehashing on DCP. Just want to enjoy the performances, which after all is what really matters, So this is my last post for a while or maybe ever. Peace it's been real

• Like 2

What can I say, we got held up by a sudden cloudburst, which scattered the sections and confused the instructors. Hornline then had to double-time to the field with Gail Royer (or was it Tim Salzman?) yelling "Go! Go! Go!"

What kind of penalty did they give you for being late?

I know most wouldn't agree but I would like to see Bloo and Cadets tie for 3rd on Saturday. They are both too good to end the season in 4th place.

• Like 2

An early late penalty.

The Troopers tonight are probably thinking: "A guard (a horse)! a guard! (a horse)! My kingdom for a guard (a horse)!"

So next year Troopers will do a Richard III show?

Hmm. Colts opened their 2014 show with narration adapted from that play.

What can I say, we got held up by a sudden cloudburst, which scattered the sections and confused the instructors. Hornline then had to double-time to the field with Gail Royer (or was it Tim Salzman?) yelling "Go! Go! Go!"

I remember your brass line huddling under a very large tree during warmups...

I don't remember a penalty, but they had to rush to the gate so fast it really fouled up their preparations, especially mentally.

We had no such problems, as I recall, even though -- looking at the recaps -- we went on right after SCV.

Funny...I didn't remember that there were 8 other corps in show order between us and Garfield for prelims.

After SCV and BD it went Suncoast, Spirit, 27th, Regiment, Madison, Cavies, Bridgemen, Xmen, then Garfield....weird order.

Edited by 84BDsop

This is the key sentence, imo ( not where they are from ).

DCI had a Marching Band with Marching Band instuments, ie clarinets, flutes, saxophones, et al compete in their Drum Corps Quarterfinals yesterday, and they were as equally judged in competition as were all the other DCI Corps ( or Marching Bands if others prefer this moniker ). This Marching Band finished 33rd, in the Quarterfinals yesterday, and topped a few of the DCI Open Class units they were in field competition with in the Quarters. I make no judgement assessment on this. I only mention it as what is allowed into DCI Field competition, and in a specific reply to a poster above that apparently was not aware that ( for example ) clarinets, woodwinds, et al ARE indeed found in DCI field competition now.

The rules state that an International Corps can compete in DCI Competition as an Open Class Corps ... IF they abide by the DCI Rule book. None of the three this year did. This only matters at Open Class Finals. When you look at those scores, the three International Corps were NOT scored as part of Open Class. At the creation of Prelims in 2011, it was stated that all corps would compete on the same sheets REGARDLESS of class. Typically that just means that Open Class are judged as World Class. However, this year, it was obvious that includes the International Class as well. All Corps judged on the same sheets whether World, Open or International. Makes sense to me ... even if just because that's the way the rules read. I am not sure I like the idea of those in the International Class that are not abiding by DCI regulations placing among Corps who do ... but still. Those instruments are only allowed in International Class ... not in World Class or Open Class.

Edited by KakkoiiOtaku

At this point if BD ends up passing crown I would be shocked. Yes BD moves well when they are not playing, and plays well when they are not moving. But no way, no how their show is even remotely close to the difficulty level as the other top 5. To me, it's seems the last 3 shows from BD are very similar. Great brass, great percussion as a musical entity but as a marching ensemble, sorry this show is really not on the same level. It seems BD has figured out the judges seem to love props painted bright white whether it's chairs, ladders, staging...etc. Just park and bark, then scatter drill to your next set around white props, then stop again and dazzle the judges with your groundbreaking brass book. Cadets move more in the first 4 minutes than BD does in the entire show. Crown has more GE in the first 3 minutes than BD does in the entire show, and Bloo has more ingenuity in the first minute than BD foes in there entire show. Yet after all this, BD is in a position to maybe pull this off. I hope creativity, crowd response and general effect end up king for the 2015 season. If BD wins, then DCI needs to re evaluate how champions are determined.

Edited by BlueByYou2000
  • Like 1

At this point if BD ends up passing crown I would be shocked. Yes BD moves well when they are not playing, and plays well when they are not moving. But no way, no how their show is even remotely close to the difficulty level as the other top 5. To me, it's seems the last 3 shows from BD are very similar. Great brass, great percussion as a musical entity but as a marching ensemble, sorry this show is really not on the same level. It seems BD has figured out the judges seem to love props painted bright white whether it's chairs, ladders, staging...etc. Just park and bark, then scatter drill to your next set around white props, then stop again and dazzle the judges with your groundbreaking brass book. Cadets move more in the first 4 minutes than BD does in the entire show. Crown has more GE in the first 3 minutes than BD does in the entire show, and Bloo has more ingenuity in the first minute than BD foes in there entire show. Yet after all this, BD is in a position to maybe pull this off. I hope creativity, crowd response and general effect end up king for the 2015 season. If BD wins, then DCI needs to re evaluate how champions are determined.

Oh look ma, another BD hater.

• Like 5