Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

But no way, no how their show is even remotely close to the difficulty level as the other top five.

I'm not sure if the words "difficult" or "difficulty" even appear in the judging sheets.

• Like 1

look... GE is the most important caption, and the score in this caption is almost 100% on the designers, NOT the members. The members can do very little to impact GE.

That's the way it has been for awhile now.

The members, when it comes down to it, have minimal control over where their show ends up. The activity is mostly adults judging adults.

This is certainly my assessment as well. All 4 Corps had adults make changes in the closers. The adult judges evaluated those adult created changes to separate the 4. All 4 Corps MM's probably worked equally hard the last critical 2 weeks.

if a Corps that finishes 1st in both Percussion and Brass finds themselves in 4th place, well it seems pretty clear to me they missed the boat on what drives the scores and placements. That inability to understand the current dynamic of where the points are to be found on the score sheets is not somehow the fault of those that finish above them that did. Crown, after their brass opener, go well over a minute without the brass playing. But it does not matter. They have the best visual, guard show closer of the top 4, and so thats primarily why they will become DCI Champions for 2015 tonite.

• Like 1

Let me ask you this, did you think BDs show is the more difficult program? Is BDs show more difficult that any of the too 5?

You would have to define your version of difficult. IMO yes, Is it a different difficult then some of the others? Yes, Just remember if something looks very easy it took alot of work to make it look that way.

• Like 1

Not so sure that it was BD's panel at semi's. The drum judges for finals are the same as for Atlanta, Prosperie and Rothe. Prosperie had BD over Crowne by .9 and Rothe had BD over Crowne by .4 .

At semi's, Kristensen had BD over Crown by .5 and Dunn had BD over Crown by .5 . If the overall drum spread goes from .5 in semi's to .65 (like it was in atlanta), the .15 increase means BD TIES overall, compared with the .15 overall win by Crown in semi's. Don't forget, Caleb Rothe runs the So. Cal indoor drumline circuit. At least 5 or more of BD's current drumline marched in that circuit last winter. Could that have an influence? Maybe, maybe not.

For Visual Analysis, the last time Tim Ochran judged both was Buffalo, he had BD up by .6 , the same spread as Torchia in semi's. So that looks like a wash. So, along with the drum judge changes, it's still a tie.

The other biggest spread was GE music. Nola Jones had Crown up by .6 . All the other GE judges had a .1 or .2 spread. Last time i find Ken Turner judging GE Music for both is San Antonio. He had BD over Crown by .1 , so if Turner takes Nola Jones' spot, BD goes from losing that GE music spot by .6 to winning by .1 ,then BD wins overall by about .7 . So based on this, the finals panel does favor BD. If this is true, I will win the lottery next week and move to the French Riviera the week after that.

I was looking at the same and mostly agree, although I don't believe Turner will have BD winning GE Music tonight. But I don't see him with a .6 gap like Jones had last night. But, Jay Kennedy is judging MA, and has had BD 4th or 5th in past shows. Of course, ultimately it's about the show put on the field tonight. I think we're in for a very, very, very close finish. I predict Gold and Silver will be within .1 of each other. I'm a BD fan, and hope it goes one way, but Crown really won me over this week. They would be a very deserving champion.

As for all of the "BD scatter drills, parks and barks" commentary .... it really gets old. Sure, BD doesn't march frenetically and play as much as the Cadets, but they do MOVE a lot, achieve amazingly difficult feats given how spread out they can be on the field, and take on extremely exposed brass/percussion elements. "Demand/difficulty" is about far more than constant whiplash drill. Like it or not, that is the difference between what is considered state of the art in the 80s and today. Anyways -- I'm blown away by the top five this year. What an amazing year for DCI!

Edited by bgg80
  • Like 2

Let me ask you this, did you think BDs show is the more difficult program? Is BDs show more difficult that any of the too 5?

I would honestly put them as a mix of Crown and Cadets when it comes to difficulty. Percussion book is phenomenal again and Brass book has some insane stuff written in it like the Cadets but also has some of the sheer environmental demand like Crown. I can't judge guard but that section with one guard member on the elevated chairs and other on the field is unreal. They make it look so easy.

In other news, BD ballad hit at the end is UNBELIEVABLE when they nail it like last night. Literally everyone around me gasped when they did that. Right up there (maybe ahead actually) with Crown's ballad for me.

• Like 1

I would honestly put them as a mix of Crown and Cadets when it comes to difficulty. Percussion book is phenomenal again and Brass book has some insane stuff written in it like the Cadets but also has some of the sheer environmental demand like Crown. I can't judge guard but that section with one guard member on the elevated chairs and other on the field is unreal. They make it look so easy.

In other news, BD ballad hit at the end is UNBELIEVABLE when they nail it like last night. Literally everyone around me gasped when they did that. Right up there (maybe ahead actually) with Crown's ballad for me.

They did nail that hit in the ballad for sure.