Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

to me the Cadets show just falls very flat in the middle. It has a great beginning..powerful ending and the middle just drags on which seems for ever. It was very obvious just watching and listening to the crowd last night at the stadium.

• Like 2

Is it just me or are there at lot of places in the Cadets show that call for the hornline to be a lot louder for it to be effective? It never seemed apparent in the recordings, but the volume never approaches Crown's or even Bluecoats'.

OK, my intention is not to come off as a bitter Cadets fan, just a disgusted one. The results from last night were so predictable. All of us Cadets fans saw this coming for the past several weeks. And it seems as though the Cadets could practice 24 hours a day, and last nights results were inevitable. But, the Cadets are the Cadets, they will stay focused and do another amazing performance tonight (with the clear understanding that they will finish in 4th). On the off season, DCI needs to take a hard look at their organization. This is DRUM AND BUGLE corps, and when a corps wins DRUMS and BRASS and comes in 4th (by a sizable margin) something is out of whack with the evaluation process. The sad thing is, the Cadets have been busting their collective ##### for months, attempting to perfect a monster of a show with insane playing and marching demand. And the clear answer to their frustrations was obvious all along. They need to add a huge banner (it would have to be huge because the Cadets actually use the entire field) with 10 on it and pull it over the corps in the beginning and end of the show! This simple move would improve the Cadets score by at leas 2 points and they would be sitting in first right now. However, the Cadets would not do this simple addition, they never take the easy way. Additionally, the Cadets need to stop playing and marching so much, it's not fashionable with the judges anymore! Rant over; go Cadets, you freaking rock!

I agree. BUT....the scoring system as it exists today, having been changed to increase the emphasis on the visual and GE, was established by the corps directors themselves. This includes GH, who, if I recall correctly, was one of the major proponents of the change. Ironically (to me anyway) this was the result of the war for the direction of the activity waged mostly between GH and Scott Stewart. Well, GH won that battle and Scott Stewart is gone from Scouts. But by winning the battle maybe he has lost the war. Here we sit with BD having a shot for a 6th title in 9 years! Is this good for the activity? Change the scoring system. But don't forget who got it where it is today.

• Like 1

Can this not be equated to a football team that has put more points on the scoreboard but because they ran the ball for the touchdowns and didn't complete a single flashy overhead pass--they lose the competition to the leaping and dancing receivers?

Cadets were getting lower visual scores than BD and Crown before the uniform change.

Because there are some very exposed dirty moments....the double arc before the frenetic end drill come to mind right off...absolutely awful by anyone's standards, let alone Cadets'.

Technique is fine....but you have to nail the forms.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 2

Can this not be equated to a football team that has put more points on the scoreboard but because they ran the ball for the touchdowns and didn't complete a single flashy overhead pass--they lose the competition to the leaping and dancing receivers?

I'm guessing you don't watch much football 😉

I normally just skip past these kind of posts, but this one is just horse****. In the first 3.5 minutes of Crowns show, they scatter into their opening set, with about 20 brass stopping and playing little clips, then they prance and dance while playing their brass impact, (is this playing on the move to you?). Then they scatter again and sit as the enter banner is unfurled, then they finally do some "marching" during the drum break when they don't play a note. So, if you equate moving and playing with GE and difficulty, a corps who doesn't do that for the first 4th of their show probably should not be Championship worthy in your mind. As far as DCI re evaluating scoring systems, perhaps when a corps doesn't have the highest visual scores, or the highest brass score, or the highest guard score, and barely a top 5 drum line, and they still come in 1st, maybe that is worth re evaluating?

Let me ask you this, did you think BDs show is the more difficult program? Is BDs show more difficult that any of the too 5?

So, what would you guys do if Cadets and Bloo tied tomorrow? What if BD and Crown tied tomorrow?

I like Bloo but I would have Cadets over them by a small margin,

to me the Cadets show just falls very flat in the middle. It has a great beginning..powerful ending and the middle just drags on which seems for ever. It was very obvious just watching and listening to the crowd last night at the stadium.

With the exception of Crown, one could say that about everyone in the top 5.

With the exception of Crown, one could say that about everyone in the top 5.

By contrary, SCV and Crown are the only corps in the top 5 that seem to drag on and on for me.