Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

Tempo feel a bit faster for Fly to Paradise? It felt 'more right' than previous reads to me.

Ouch. As much as I want Troopers in finals, I don't want it to be a gimme because of a penalty. Especially for the kids in Xmen that might have earned the spot otherwise. Cmon judges, just give em a tie.

Up the tempo to 226. That'll get it in on time...right?

Colts & Troop both absolutely laid it down. Colts show just POPS, visually and musically. They were on fire. it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but no one can deny that it's incredibly well-designed and nuanced and detailed from top to bottom and in every aspect. God those performers sold the show today. Everything just works and it's so engaging for the whole show.

Troop absolutely has a corps that executes at a finalist level. That was made incredibly apparent just now. I think they've made this show as special and unique as it can be, but I don't think the design team created a finalist show this year. It's nice. And they've evolved it into way more than I thought it could be, and there are so many moments that absolutely sparkle, but most of the SPECTACULAR moments just now came from the stunning execution in the corps proper, not the design itself. And, of course, that's the most important part, but one of these years I want to see Troop's insanely musical and rich brass line have their cake and eat it, too. Colts performing before them really showcased a package that was brilliantly conceived AND executed, and I want to see that same design spark from Troop to match that powerful brass playing.

Academy, Colts, and Troopers gave stunning performances. Not a dull moment in any of the three. Truly great ensembles.

• Like 4

I'm hearing a lot of synth...more than I've heard all season....well maybe I'm just hearing things...

Some quick thoughts: 'Scades ended their season very well, and there's just buckets of future potential there, from design choices to their uniform mastery of basic world class skills, etc. Legends & Genesis are set up incredibly well for their futures, but in the performance order today, it was obvious that neither corps has incorporated world class design elements yet. Both had phenomenal seasons; let's see some more depth in each design and the skills asked of the performers next season, and I think that will put each one (esp. Genesis) in the BDB/SCVC range.

Crest & Mandarins both had phenomenal runs today, but I'll echo what every previous poster has stated about PC's design flaws, and also add in Mandarins to that issue. I think both executed at much higher levels than their designs allowed. Don't get me wrong, Mandarins were INCREDIBLY exciting, with a clean and aggressive battery, and spectacular visual moments, but that Key Poulan music book didn't do them any favors when all was said and done. Very little in the way of dynamics/shaping/lyrical playing was demonstrated, and let's be honest, does anyone even remember their 2013 or 2014 music books? I think this season will be similarly forgotten musically, although the show as a whole package will be very memorable. The brass, and especially that line & front ensemble combo, executed easily above the Spirit/OC level, and the visual was a treat to watch, but the music book was a Key Poulan work that was more inspired than previous years, but flat in the end. Aggressive and exciting are great accolades for it, but I can't think of much else. And while those two accolades are nice, we need to see other musical aspects demonstrated to compete with the corps above them. I truly thought they would place above BDB, though. That was a bit disapointing.

Spirit had a good final run, and they should hang onto Pitts as the music arranger. After reading so much about the guard struggling all season, I actually think the guard performed quite solidly, but the guard writing and drill placement left me scratching my head a lot. The silk scarf moment at the ballad impact didn't match the passion of the brass, and I just think that was an odd design choice, as was guard placement throughout the drill.

OC is just solid in every single area of execution, and I hope they beef up their design a bit next year as well. Would have been nice to see this execution matched with last year's "nevermore"! That drumline is out of this world for this tier of corps. "Midnight Garden" was a nice next step, and definitely saw cohesive elements throughout, but it just, plainly, isn't a top 12 show. Terrific 2015, OC, now upwards and onwards!

My hope is that all of these corps listed retain their members and build upon (and learn from!!!!) the ups & downs of this season. ALL have just fabulous potential and deep talent pools. So many great moments in these corps, and all were performances that anyone waiting until Saturday is truly missing out on. The main issues holding back all of the lower corps from the next tier are design flaws, in my opinion, and definitely not lack of execution, performance quality, or passion. I have high hopes for all of them!

Thank you Jake W for providing such a well-expressed review of this group of corps. You are absolutely spot on!

Edited by luv4corps