Carolina Crown 2016

That is, by far, the ugliest "stage coach" I've ever seen. Very creepy, for sure.

That's a really dark picture. Brighter in person.

My guess is this is an attempt to show a saloon in the wild wild west - man falls in love with girl, girl is already taken by another cowboy, fight ensues, all hell breaks loose.

Ok, that works for me. Again one viewing is hard to pick up on things

The stagecoach... there is a husband and wife team based on the West Coast who operate a wonderful traveling stagecoach which travels all over the country to county and state fairs and other events. I have seen them a few times, and the little shows they put on are really cool. Can't remember the name of them though.

The stagecoach... there is a husband and wife team based on the West Coast who operate a wonderful traveling stagecoach which travels all over the country to county and state fairs and other events. I have seen them a few times, and the little shows they put on are really cool. Can't remember the name of them though.

How are these props loaded and unloaded? 😳

Well, I've watched it 4t imes now:

Preshow's cool, something very different than what they've been doing the last 6 years (with 2012 being the exception). Nice to see them change it up. Opening hit was a bit underwhelming. I've been blown away since as long as I can remember by their opening hits (since 2007?) but this was didn't seem as full. I'm thinking they'll probably fiddle around with it through the season.

The part before the drum break in the first half of the show and right after the drum break is still unintelligible to me after 4 reads. There's no melody to latch onto and it makes it much harder to appreciate everything they're doing so well technically.

The tango section was easily the coolest and best part of the show! Wow that trombonist is AMAZING and the whole feel of the section is awesome. I love it. I wish the the first 5 minutes of the show were nearly as engaging.

Very interesting hybrid ballad. I personally like it and the transition from Hallelujah into whatever Spanish song they went into was really cool! I was left a little disappointed with the lack of a big hit in Hallelujah though.. Crossmen 2011 definitely did it better.

I won't comment too much on the closer since it's clearly a placeholder for a much improved closer later in the summer (Crown is very good at improving their closers). I will, however, say that I'm very happy that they kept the whole "hey guys, let's play practice warm ups on the field!" to a minimum (theyve been doing that the past few years).

All in all the members are very talented and are playing the helll out of this show considering it's June and the color guard is already amazing. Don't have a read of drum line because I know nothing about drums. I'm not sure where this show is going thematically but I'm sure Crown will end up adding story elements through the season so that it makes sense. It's a good vehicle and definitely a championship contender, but I think placement will be determined by how well they can develop the show to match their theme.

Edited by Cappybara

The only part that left me a little a flag was the Tango, but after getting a second read on it with a much higher quality recording, I can't get it out of my head. Theyre going to be jamming.

If youre having second thoughts about this show at all definitely watch this much higher quality video/audio: https://youtube.com/watch?v=f0C71ECjOaA

It's so catchy.. especially El Tango de Roxanne. Found myself humming it to myself in the shower this morning. TMI? Lol..

From a percussionist's perspective, how did the drums sound in comparison to last year at preview?