Carolina Crown 2016

I think they use synth because it would take A LOT of strings for Roxanne to have the same effect

exactly - really comparing apples to oranges - Cadets is just solos Crown would need a whole orchestra

I like the synth strings in the Roxanne treatment, adds a historic texture to it... really nice arrangement

• Like 1

No whiteboard today i guess. Crown is in Berea,KY and will be at Avon HS, Avon IN tomorrow and the next day.

Rain chased the guard into the sleeping area gym but no one sleeping!

hNkMTVN.jpg

My pick for Top Guard this year. Don't love rhe show (yet), but guard is mature and wonderful. Edited by Tobias

I don't troll. Why don't you tell me how Roxanne is in any way western. Because there's a bar fight during it? If they started line dancing instead, would that make it country?

I'm with you. I don't see the western part of their musical choices at all.

But I love Roxeanne anyways

• Like 1

I dunno, it seems pretty straight forward to me. This is my own personal take on it, maybe it'll help some of you out.

Morricone stuff needs no explanation.

Medea's dance of VENGEANCE - Their show this year is vengeance based, so why not pick a piece that has that thematic element woven into its original purpose? The tone of it is perfect for the feeling of loss and anger that the character experiences when someone gets shot in the beginning.

El Tango de Roxanne - I'm not going to go into a spiel about the scene from the original movie, but the emotional representation in that scene and lyrics are oozing with jealousy, rage, and just sexy excitement. Again, seems to fit in pretty well with their show theme. Also, the Spanish element SCREAMS southern saloon from the 1800s, it wasn't just a bunch of white dudes out in the west, the huge Spanish presence was there too, so a little Latin flavor makes perfect sense to me.

Hallelujah - Again, if you go and read the lyrics and some explanations of the song, some by Cohen himself, I think that some of the emotional connotations and meanings again lend itself to their theme of loss, loneliness, questioning what has happened, ect. I think the raw emotion of this is why they picked it, what they're trying to convey being so powerful.

Equilibrium - Lets be honest, this was to show off the brass. :)

Just because you're doing a western show doesn't mean you have to go all hokey straight up Magnificent Seven horses riding in with cowboys on there music. They're telling a story, the music they picked fits with those narrative lines, the emotions, and in the case of the Morricone stuff, the western element. They never said this is a straight up to a T Western show. There are DEFINITELY other elements in there, steampunk being one of them. I do think that they have a helluva lot of work to convey those things on the field and flesh out the Western part of it more, last years layering being very promising to that, but I can TOTALLY see why they picked what they did. Took a little digging maybe, 10 minutes just now, but it seems pretty straight forward to me.

Why did Cadets pick Pines of Rome for Statues? Why did Blue Devils pick Mishima for a show about the Tempest? Why did Cavaliers pick Lollapalooza for a show about Propaganda? They fit the moods and tones of those shows without being straight up literal.

• Like 1

I just watched Crown's show again and I really think it has potential to win the title. Obviously, its only June and my prediction assumes that they will continue to layer it and build it like they did successfully last year. I think the top 3 (not sure who #3 will be but I predict Bloo or Cadets or SCV) will be very close.

I'm not a drum person, but would like someone who is to critique their performance as I thought it was #### good. Specifically, I would like to know if the content would be considered top 3? I realize the execution is not there yet as its early, but they seem light years ahead of last year.

Same here, it makes no sense to me.

the visual show is a western - the music show is a mixture of great tunes all fitting into the theme of the story line "relentless" that will subtly play out on the field this season...

think about those popular movies of late (such as 1998 Romeo & Juliet - with original dialogue but set to hip hop music) - it's a very successful method of story telling and artistic design (TV's Galavant is another successful example)

I personally think it's cool - you pick the music for the emotion - not weather it relates or not to the Western locale - same as these other examples

• Like 1

I dunno, it seems pretty straight forward to me. This is my own personal take on it, maybe it'll help some of you out.

Morricone stuff needs no explanation.

Medea's dance of VENGEANCE - Their show this year is vengeance based, so why not pick a piece that has that thematic element woven into its original purpose? The tone of it is perfect for the feeling of loss and anger that the character experiences when someone gets shot in the beginning.

El Tango de Roxanne - I'm not going to go into a spiel about the scene from the original movie, but the emotional representation in that scene and lyrics are oozing with jealousy, rage, and just sexy excitement. Again, seems to fit in pretty well with their show theme. Also, the Spanish element SCREAMS southern saloon from the 1800s, it wasn't just a bunch of white dudes out in the west, the huge Spanish presence was there too, so a little Latin flavor makes perfect sense to me.

Hallelujah - Again, if you go and read the lyrics and some explanations of the song, some by Cohen himself, I think that some of the emotional connotations and meanings again lend itself to their theme of loss, loneliness, questioning what has happened, ect. I think the raw emotion of this is why they picked it, what they're trying to convey being so powerful.

Equilibrium - Lets be honest, this was to show off the brass. :)

Just because you're doing a western show doesn't mean you have to go all hokey straight up Magnificent Seven horses riding in with cowboys on there music. They're telling a story, the music they picked fits with those narrative lines, the emotions, and in the case of the Morricone stuff, the western element. They never said this is a straight up to a T Western show. There are DEFINITELY other elements in there, steampunk being one of them. I do think that they have a helluva lot of work to convey those things on the field and flesh out the Western part of it more, last years layering being very promising to that, but I can TOTALLY see why they picked what they did. Took a little digging maybe, 10 minutes just now, but it seems pretty straight forward to me.

Why did Cadets pick Pines of Rome for Statues? Why did Blue Devils pick Mishima for a show about the Tempest? Why did Cavaliers pick Lollapalooza for a show about Propaganda? They fit the moods and tones of those shows without being straight up literal.

boom_roasted.jpg

I just watched Crown's show again and I really think it has potential to win the title. Obviously, its only June and my prediction assumes that they will

I'm not a drum person, but would like someone who is to critique their performance as I thought it was #### good. Specifically, I would like to know if the content would be considered top 3? I realize the execution is not there yet as its early, but they seem light years ahead of last year.

to your first point I believe 3 of the top 4 are already locked in - BD, Crown & Cadets - I'd be shocked if either of those drops lower than 4th

Right now I'd say Crown & BD are ahead of Cadets - slightly. Cadets are very dirty and need to make some small and larger changes

to your second point - Crown's drums seem improved. I'd say they are either competitive with the top cluster (BD, Cadets, Coats & SCV) in the drum world, which would place them in the top five - and I'd say the gap from 1 to 5 will be smaller this year

I'd probably put BD/Cadets/SCV a notch above Coats/Crown but I'd say the gap is very small, less this year. I cluster Coats with Crown due to ageouts and just a vibe I get from the stuff I have heard

Anyway - I hope I answered your question. Crown will be highly competitive this year - percussion the top box group most likely, brass in the top box and guard in the top box. After that it comes down to rep and GE scores aka show design and arrangement

• Like 1