Carolina Crown 2016

they just confirmed on Periscope that the Timpani player is returning this week!

to your first point I believe 3 of the top 4 are already locked in - BD, Crown & Cadets - I'd be shocked if either of those drops lower than 4th

Right now I'd say Crown & BD are ahead of Cadets - slightly. Cadets are very dirty and need to make some small and larger changes

to your second point - Crown's drums seem improved. I'd say they are either competitive with the top cluster (BD, Cadets, Coats & SCV) in the drum world, which would place them in the top five - and I'd say the gap from 1 to 5 will be smaller this year

I'd probably put BD/Cadets/SCV a notch above Coats/Crown but I'd say the gap is very small, less this year. I cluster Coats with Crown due to ageouts and just a vibe I get from the stuff I have heard

Anyway - I hope I answered your question. Crown will be highly competitive this year - percussion the top box group most likely, brass in the top box and guard in the top box. After that it comes down to rep and GE scores aka show design and arrangement

Locked in? Come on George, we haven't even seen SCV and Bloo.

Equilibrium - Lets be honest, this was to show off the brass. :)

Well the show is about getting justice, I kinda took this choice as getting revenge and returning to "equilibrium", quid pro quo.

I dunno, it seems pretty straight forward to me. This is my own personal take on it, maybe it'll help some of you out.

Morricone stuff needs no explanation.

Medea's dance of VENGEANCE - Their show this year is vengeance based, so why not pick a piece that has that thematic element woven into its original purpose? The tone of it is perfect for the feeling of loss and anger that the character experiences when someone gets shot in the beginning.

El Tango de Roxanne - I'm not going to go into a spiel about the scene from the original movie, but the emotional representation in that scene and lyrics are oozing with jealousy, rage, and just sexy excitement. Again, seems to fit in pretty well with their show theme. Also, the Spanish element SCREAMS southern saloon from the 1800s, it wasn't just a bunch of white dudes out in the west, the huge Spanish presence was there too, so a little Latin flavor makes perfect sense to me.

Hallelujah - Again, if you go and read the lyrics and some explanations of the song, some by Cohen himself, I think that some of the emotional connotations and meanings again lend itself to their theme of loss, loneliness, questioning what has happened, ect. I think the raw emotion of this is why they picked it, what they're trying to convey being so powerful.

Equilibrium - Lets be honest, this was to show off the brass. :)

Just because you're doing a western show doesn't mean you have to go all hokey straight up Magnificent Seven horses riding in with cowboys on there music. They're telling a story, the music they picked fits with those narrative lines, the emotions, and in the case of the Morricone stuff, the western element. They never said this is a straight up to a T Western show. There are DEFINITELY other elements in there, steampunk being one of them. I do think that they have a helluva lot of work to convey those things on the field and flesh out the Western part of it more, last years layering being very promising to that, but I can TOTALLY see why they picked what they did. Took a little digging maybe, 10 minutes just now, but it seems pretty straight forward to me.

Why did Cadets pick Pines of Rome for Statues? Why did Blue Devils pick Mishima for a show about the Tempest? Why did Cavaliers pick Lollapalooza for a show about Propaganda? They fit the moods and tones of those shows without being straight up literal.

Thank you, that helps. In its current form, that is not very obvious and they have a lot of work to do to convey that.

Edited by Cappybara

Locked in? Come on George, we haven't even seen SCV and Bloo.

In top 4 with a spot for coats or scv Edited by George Dixon

Wow, you know what, you are so right. Thank you kind sir for pointing this out. I'm going to hop in my car and drive up to Indiana tonight and let the design team know this. Without your guidance, I'm not quite sure what they would have done. It's so refreshing to know that we have people such as yourself point out these inconsistencies with the show design. I guess the only choice is to rewrite the entire show. Whoa is us...

Giggle... 😉

I don't troll. Why don't you tell me how Roxanne is in any way western. Because there's a bar fight during it? If they started line dancing instead, would that make it country?

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2