DCI Suggestion Box

The Cavaliers do this at their finals housing site, seen the different bins for different types of unwanted items. I'm sure other corps do this as well.

This might be the best way to do it. Each corps can coordinate with an organization near their housing site and go from there.

have DCI discourage corps members and staff members from sitting in the premium seating areas at events. kicking people out of your seats is super annoying.

This happened A LOT around me at Finals.

the on field product is more entertaining top to bottom this year than at any time in probably the last 15/16 years. The transparency DCI has shown with the judging process as well as working in new faces in has helped increase that "you never know factor". Plus, by truly sticking to the judging philosophy of "judge your sheet only and the show of the day" has truly created some suspense when you have corps so evenly bunched.

So, what can they improve?

stop averaging caption award winners over the nights. you win the sheet at finals, that should be who wins.

and...customer service. While the Fan Network/DCI Live stuff happened for reasons beyond their control, their communications to fans about it, both back in the fall and when it launched for this season...well....sucked. I realize the non DVR feature option is beyond their control, but advance warning would have created a lot of good will. Thank goodness attendance was up, because I know they lost money on the DCI Live offering this year.

other than that....I truly feel for the first time in several years, DCI is getting it right. Not thrilled about 10 more years in Indy, but I get the logistics and costs aspects, and I wouldn't be going for a few years until the little one could sit still for more than 30 seconds.

• Like 2

Have a paid "fan experience." So if your favorite corps is Blue Devils, and you pay for a "fan experience" package (the money of which would go to the corps of your choice and DCI), you get a series of experiences, that could include but not limited to: 1) being in the Blue Devils corps "locker room" before they head out onto the field. 2). Watching the Blue Devils march out onto the field from the tunnel 3) have your name listed on the Blue Devils page in the program as the "ultimate fan" 4) Meet the Blue Devils drum major and a couple of players for 5 minutes 5). etc.

I would spend up to $200 for this for my favorite corps. But pricing would have to be higher so as to limit it to just 5 or 10 people.

Edited by chris7997

Last year the crowds i saw were enthusiastic for BD and did not boo when they won last year like this year.

while Tilt was probably the people's favorite in 14, it wasn't in contention for the title like Crown was this year...hence people's over reactions to the results.

I found BD to fun and enjoyable for the 2nd year in a row, and the little girl brought it all together.

with the philosophy of "judge the show of the day and judge your sheet", what you see in tne end result is this:

you have to be 1st or ###### close on every sheet to win. You can not have a caption that's in 5th, or have a bad run ( and some overhead shots I've seen illustrate why Crown was down so much in visual analysis).....you have to be 1/2/3 and really close on every sheet to pull it off. Crowns percussion, while improved, was what...5th? In a field loaded with spectacular lines. Crowns brass was godlike at times, yet Cadets and their flurry of notes won the Ott...yet guard held Cadets back as that bled over into other captions.

The problem is....emotions. Lack of understanding the sheets and the system. So when "their" team doesn't win they get ######.

take it from the guy whose corps won percussion and tied for GE and got a title that the second place corps still complains about 19 years later. Why did we win? We were close enough in everything else.

Move away from point scoring to ordinals; equally weigh music, visual and GE.

Yeah, I'm sure it sounds good to you until you realize that BD still would have won. Check it.

• Like 1

I have a question. So DCI involes corps from around the world (Hince International). do any of you think that a corps from another country will ever make it to finals or perhaps medal at the World Championships? I think it would be neat to start having some other challenges from other countries.

We've had corps from Canada (another country) make finals.

One thing that DCI *should* do is this:

Allow the corps to plug into the stadium power at Indy. Believe it or not, corps were still using their own generators to run their sound systems during DCI week. Now, I understand the need for bringing your own power if you're out in Iowa at a high school stadium at a show, or just practicing anywhere. BUT...Lucas Oil is an NFL quality stadium. They run TV broadcasts, huge concerts and events, and have more power in the building than a small city. Since it looks as if it's going to be 20 years at this facility, I strongly implore Dan Acheson and DCI's management to set it up to where corps simply plug into a high amperage, refined power source that virtually eliminates the possibility of power failure. Finals week only. It's just one less thing that groups will have to worry about. It's a shame that some groups had that problem, when it was completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

Well, no, I'm not aware of any evidence of favoritism among judges for "certain" corps. I read a lot of posts here that claim to have evidence, but it's usually in fact not causation.

So, your solution is the double the cost of the judging pool to DCI? I'm pretty sure that the corps directors would find little value in it.

EDIT: I think DCI gets a better bang for the buck by simply introducing new judges into the gene pool. Which, ironically, did exactly what you'd hope we'd see - a more varied opinion and tighter compression of scores that washed out any "favoritism" and kept the competition hot and tight for nearly 8 weeks.

Mission accomplished, IMO.

and more new blood coming