DCI Suggestion Box

Serious question, not an attack: I'd like to know your motivation for seeing this change.

You know how some panels tend to "favor" certain corps? Well, that can lead to skewed finals scores. If you add more judges who are skewed in a different way or not at all, it makes the scores more realistic and not based on bias or bad judging.
  • Like 1

1.Incorporate some mechanism into the scoring system that recognizes "degree of difficulty".

Figure skating, diving and gymnastics all have it so there's no reason Drum Corps couldn't.

2.This will never happen, but don't let the GE Judges for Finals watch say the top 6 corps during the season.

That would assure that they get the true GE effect at Finals, and judging GE strictly on what they saw at Finals only.

There already is a degree of difficulty rating in the content scores.

Question: Why would I want the judge to judge the show on his first read if I've already seen the show 4 times this season? Wouldn't I want him to judge it the way I do on finals night - after seeing it 4 or 5 times over the season?

Your suggestion makes me think that DCI should judge to the level or taste of the casual drum corps attendee. I think it should be judged as most more-than-casual fans would see it if that's the kind of "fanatic", as opposed to casual, fan that DCI is trying to attract. I don't think many of the casual fans care about the minutia of how the score is derived.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

This was my favorite Blue Devils show since 1998. The melodic playing, the well-woven storyline, and the degree of difficulty were great. I was still pulling for Crown, but was 100% happy with the result regardless.

I think this was tried at some TOC shows a few years back. The audience was given a text number and could text in their vote. But, through the magic of social media, a certain corps' fans were notified of the voting procedure and that corps won with many of the voters not even at the show.

Not saying this is a bad idea. Just the ballot security needs to be worked out.

This is probably why they haven't done it. They're not trying to drop the loot to make sure the voting is secure and legit. If they did do it they would just have to accept that it's going to lead to skewed results, which would be fine. Just make it a fun thing. If some fanbase wants to figure out how to stuff the ballot box so be it.

Uh both Into The Woods and Sweeney Todd are highly praised musicals scores both written by Sondheim, and they blended together perfectly, my opinion of course.

Sweeney Todd is definitely a "darker" musical and the opening hit is when the witch came out for snow white, they weren't exactly trying to have a "happy" moment there.

Into The Woods is a sendup of fairy tales, so the BD show was a mashup of a sendup. A bunch of bananas and a concrete block will blend perfectly if the mixer is tough enough, but the result is useful to exactly no one.

I found BD to be exceptionally entertaining this year. Judging by comments here on the forums so did a LOT of other people.

The entire DCI field this year was phenomenal.

But the booing at finals.

This was BD's most melodic and cohesive show in a very long time. Probably more cohesive than Felliniesque. If you didn't like this show, not sure which one you will

BD's show was as melodic as it could be but, for me, it wasn't "cohesive" until the little girl clarified whose dreams we were watching.

I simply loved its beautiful design. It wasn't highbrow, it was story-telling. Maybe that's what most object to.

• Like 2

What one person finds entertaining another might not. If you mean taking the crowd into account, than just say you want the crowd favorite to win. Poor BD will not win for years, because people are just sick of them winning and loudly cheer for any corps that has a shot to take them down.

Last year the crowds i saw were enthusiastic for BD and did not boo when they won last year like this year.

I don't like rock-and-roll.

I like most kinds of non-screetchy jazz.

I love classical.

I don't like most sports. I don't like most operas.

I prefer TCM.

How do you put a number on entertainment?

DCI tried to take crowd reaction into account with the most recent judge sheets correct? So far it seems to be an "in name only" change and no tangible changes have been made.

You know how some panels tend to "favor" certain corps? Well, that can lead to skewed finals scores. If you add more judges who are skewed in a different way or not at all, it makes the scores more realistic and not based on bias or bad judging.

More judges would just lead to more problems. Someone is always going to claim foul play.

Ironically, BD won last night despite what many thought was a pro-Crown/Cadets panel. Go figure.