DCI Suggestion Box

I didn't understand the connection between Sweeney Todd and Snow White. Do you?

I think you're missing the point that Sweney Todd and Snow White can be dreams of a little girl. It wasn't written to what you can connect, it was written from her perspective.

• Like 1

BD's show was as melodic as it could be but, for me, it wasn't "cohesive" until the little girl clarified whose dreams we were watching.

I simply loved its beautiful design. It wasn't highbrow, it was story-telling. Maybe that's what most object to.

So we agree?

Ironic because the 2010 program was probably the most "out there" of any of their programs as of late.

I would suggest their Dada show was more "out there."

You know how some panels tend to "favor" certain corps? Well, that can lead to skewed finals scores. If you add more judges who are skewed in a different way or not at all, it makes the scores more realistic and not based on bias or bad judging.

Well, no, I'm not aware of any evidence of favoritism among judges for "certain" corps. I read a lot of posts here that claim to have evidence, but it's usually in fact not causation.

So, your solution is the double the cost of the judging pool to DCI? I'm pretty sure that the corps directors would find little value in it.

EDIT: I think DCI gets a better bang for the buck by simply introducing new judges into the gene pool. Which, ironically, did exactly what you'd hope we'd see - a more varied opinion and tighter compression of scores that washed out any "favoritism" and kept the competition hot and tight for nearly 8 weeks.

Mission accomplished, IMO.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I would suggest their Dada show was more "out there."

To this day I have no clue what that 2010 show was about (although it is one of my favorites) yet understand 2012 pretty well. I think 2010 is quite a bit more abstract.

• Like 1

DCI tried to take crowd reaction into account with the most recent judge sheets correct? So far it seems to be an "in name only" change and no tangible changes have been made.

DCI did two things: They encouraged the corps to design for crowd appeal to a higher extent while, at the same time, encouraged judges to reward such designs.

DCI did not reduce all of the other necessary captions to make this change. Great crowd appeal doesn't trump execution just because it's given a label on the sheet.

I think you're missing the point that Sweney Todd and Snow White can be dreams of a little girl. It wasn't written to what you can connect, it was written from her perspective.

Although the little girl who dreams happily of Sweeney Todd might have some psychological issues to watch out for...

• Like 3

1.Incorporate some mechanism into the scoring system that recognizes "degree of difficulty".

Figure skating, diving and gymnastics all have it so there's no reason Drum Corps couldn't.

On the face of it, interesting idea. But I would ask this one simple question: what do you do when a Corps Design Team comes up with something that has never before been seen and/or done? On that night...at that specific event...what "degree of difficulty" standard would you attach to it? Even though, to the best of my knowledge, no skater has ever successfully accomplished a quintuple axel, I would be willing to bet that the World Figure Skating Association has already put in a "degree of difficulty" number in the event that it should (eventually, I'm sure) come along.

Edited by HornTeacher