Phantom Regiment 2016

I've been pessimistic because of their visual stuff but hearing Will Pitt's arrangement of Shost. op 34 is going to be worth the price of admission, I know it.

It's going to be classic phantom regiment, which is what has been missing. I've wanted them to play this for a long time. I recommend listening to an orchestral transcription ( or even wind ensemble) to get a feel of what this can sound like with brass.

I hope it's their opener. https://youtu.be/8BsDNSR2h50

Nice music choices, except for the Cogen, which sounds like a bad Methodist church Sunday morning choir anthem. If they end up using it I hope it is seriously rewritten.

Perhaps Regiment will be the first corps to field a bagpiper!

Nice music choices, except for the Cogen, which sounds like a bad Methodist church Sunday morning choir anthem. If they end up using it I hope it is seriously rewritten.

It was written by Phillippe Rombi. COGEN is the acronym of the orchestra that performed it in one version out on YouTube that was originally posted here. I do admit that that performance isn't very good.

Here is the original version that is from the soundtrack to Joyeux Noël, a French film about the Christmas Eve Truce of 1914.

(Now that I think of it, it sounds kind of like something out of a Christmas movie...)

• Like 2

Perhaps Regiment will be the first corps to field a bagpiper!

I believe ( could be wrong ) that the 27th Lancers were the first DCI Corps to do so.. back in the 70's ( or maybe it was in the 60's,.. pre DCI ? ). I wonder also if the Kilties may have done so at one time... pre DCI too.

Edited by BRASSO

It was written by Phillippe Rombi. COGEN is the acronym of the orchestra that performed it in one version out on YouTube that was originally posted here. I do admit that that performance isn't very good.

Here is the original version that is from the soundtrack to Joyeux Noël, a French film about the Christmas Eve Truce of 1914.

(Now that I think of it, it sounds kind of like something out of a Christmas movie...)

So much of DCI and DCP discussion about show theme, depth of show, the show beyond the notes of the musical score has brought the discussion of meaning. appropriateness, accessibility, multi-layering, understanding of the challenge to each performer, etc., etc.

Even if this piece is too schmaltzy (good Yiddish word,) for some it may be most appropriate for the World situation of this summer and the various perspectives so many have about our times. Knowing Will Pitts, a most genuine person, he never leaves things just at surface level.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1