Phantom Regiment 2016

Will Pitts and design team have chosen quite the meaty source music of varied tempos and complexities to engage the audience, judges, and phans for 2016.

David Warren returns for his fourth season as a Conductor, this year being his age-out.

Like Moses with Joshua and Aaron holding his tired arms up, this season it's Josh and Carl Huang sharing the podium.

Now to see what the Themers and viz staff build on this musical feast. :-)

As Madison Scouts gave us the show title, and The Cadets gave us a hint of an opener, Regiment may be setting the World Class pace by citing the source music first.

You must be on something really good. Edited by phd-student-TTU
  • Like 1

Phantom just released what appears to be their 2016 musical selections on Twitter.

"Prelude for Piano Op. 34 No. 14" by Dmitri Shostakovich

"The Chairman Dances" by John Adams

"Ave Verum Corpus" by Colin Mawby

"Toccata Op. 11" by Sergei Prokofiev

"Hymne des Fraternises: I'm Dreaming of Home" by Phillippe Rombi

"Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" by Benjamin Britten

How many more years, in a row, are we going to have to hear "The Chairman Dances?" Good grief.

• Like 2

.I'm really looking forward to thier show this coming year.

Edited by jchavez

I need to listen to the pieces tonight. Don't know a #### thing about Will's arranging ability. Can't tell what the theme will be either.

Lots to prove this year.

Here is his website: http://www.williampittsmusic.com/ A number of his original compositions can be found on YouTube. There is also a listing of the groups he has worked with.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

I need to listen to the pieces tonight. Don't know a #### thing about Will's arranging ability. Can't tell what the theme will be either.

Lots to prove this year.

Like Don Hill he has an incredible background in the high school world, Hebron this year at nationals absolutely destroyed Music and Music GE captions across all three rounds. Like Don Hill, I love his stuff he has done in the past. What I'm hoping is that he is a better fit, because while I love Don Hills other stuff, it just didn't fit well. Either that or maybe he wasn't allowed to/given much wiggle room to do what he could truly do. I dunno. We'll see. I'm hopeful but not getting my hopes up TOO far. I'll wait til I see his work in June to make a judgement there. Sure wasn't given much to work with at Spirit this last year despite there being some very nice moments in that show. I'll put it this way. If he's given good stuff to work with, not constrained by the power above, and is a good fit. It could be really good. We shall see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfU8e9Dj7s

Phantom just released what appears to be their 2016 musical selections on Twitter.

"Prelude for Piano Op. 34 No. 14" by Dmitri Shostakovich

"The Chairman Dances" by John Adams

"Ave Verum Corpus" by Colin Mawby

"Toccata Op. 11" by Sergei Prokofiev

"Hymne des Fraternises: I'm Dreaming of Home" by Phillippe Rombi

"Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" by Benjamin Britten

And as far as this stuff goes. Need to listen to a lot of it. The Adams and Britten are nice pieces. Once again it seems like there's a bunch of composers that in theory should be a PERFECT fit for Phantom, just depends on the package they're delivered in. I'm just freakin thankful there's no more rehashed material in there again that will never live up to their original takes on them. We shall see. Not making the mistake of forming any opinions until I've seen it on the field.

Edited by DrumManTx