Phantom Regiment 2016

To me it really isn't odd now a days, there are many many many guard people who are music majors believe it or not

I'll take your word for this. That said, would you agree that as a percentage, there is a far higher number of brass players in ( say ) the elite Corps that are music majors, than in their guards that are music majors ?

Edited by BRASSO

I'll take your word for this. That said, would you agree that as a percentage, there is a far higher number of brass players in ( say ) the elite Corps that are Music Majors, than in their Guards that are Music Majors ?

Of course you're going to have more, since guards only have 40 or below members marching compared to brass which is doubled that. I don't disagree that visual is rising scoring wise over music, but we do get our visuals from music so it does come full circle. Scoring is always going to be butting heads to try and get things right from music to visuals to percussion to guard to brass etc... I don't think we will have a system that works all around but trying to get there is all we can do. Like I said everything comes full circle and yes it ultimately does come back to music.

Of course you're going to have more, since guards only have 40 or below members marching compared to brass which is doubled that. .

You misread my question. I asked above... " as a percentage ". The numbers disparity then is irrelevant to the question.

My point is that I believe that.... as a percentage.... there is a higher percentage of brass players that are music majors than the percentage in the guards that are music majors. Would you agree ?

Edited by BRASSO

You misread my question. I asked above... " as a percentage ". The numbers disparity then is irrelevant to the question.

My point is that I believe that.... as a percentage.... there is a higher percentage of brass players that are Music Majors than the percentage in the Guards that are Music Majors.

I understood what you were saying. Yes of course your going to have a higher percentage, anyone can see that, as being a brass player or percussionist you will have more of them as music major than guard members.

Like I said I'm not disagree with you, just saying guard members are not just limited to guard there are music majors just not as many as brass and percussion

Was 2012 ancient history.. or " modern " day to you ? The reason I ask is that Phantom Regiment medaled as recently as 2012 . Would you say that SCV then is far worse than Phantom Regiment with not knowing" how to program for modern drum corps ", in your view ? , Afterall, SCV has not medaled since 2004.

It's interesting how quickly some folks respond to design criticism with placement. "They finished just outside the top six, they're fine." "They were third just a few years ago."

I know we all have different opinions about what is important. For me, placement is important only in the sense that it helps to recruit students and keep fans (donors) interested. So I don't equate "smart show design" to "placement." I want to have a good feeling about a show, regardless of the placement. Had a great feeling about 2010. Had a bad feeling about 2013. I thought one had depth in musical and thematic design with some great drill. I thought one had a naive approach and a witch puppet. They both finished in the same spot.

An example of a show that easily could've fit within Regiment's commitment to classical music: 2015 SCV. A modern drum corps show that could've been programmed to fit Phantom Regiment (e.g., with a different ballad). It placed in fifth, but it was leagues ahead of Regiment in terms of design depth, in my opinion. Modern, to me, doesn't equate to higher placement - it equates to a smart depth of design (thematic, music, visual) that is in line with aspirational peers. And it would seem that what Cadets and Blue Stars are programming this year could easily have been "Phantom Regiment shows."

I look forward to seeing the 2016 production on the field. But what I've seen so far would suggest that musical design is not on par with the direction others are taking.

• Like 4

I understood what you were saying. Yes of course your going to have a higher percentage, anyone can see that, as being a brass player or percussionist you will have more of them as music major than guard members.

Like I said I'm not disagree with you, just saying guard members are not just limited to guard there are music majors just not as many as brass and percussion

ok.

To me it really isn't odd now a days, there are many many many guard people who are music majors believe it or not and have been in the past. Music majors aren't just limited to music anymore they have branched out to other things in the activity. Personally being well rounded like myself in music and guard is a slight advantage specially within the GE and Visual aspects as we get most of our ideas visually from music. We all learn from one another musically and visually.

Very true and actually how I started myself as well as many successful guard people I know.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

My enjoyment levels for Corps shows are rarely predicated on placements. There are " modern designed " shows, that are quite original, quite creative, imo... but the sum of its parts does not equal the whole. Mine is unapologetically primarily an emotional reaction, even if the show oozes with I might acknowledge was exquisite " Intelligent Design " with the show. I don't like pandering shows, and shows that have to utilize narration have an uphill battle to woo me over. I want the music, the visuals to communicate to me, not the spoken voice. Clean as a whistle to me, can be appeciated for its performer brilliance with execution, but a sterile clean show with no emotional connection at the end, is mostly a failure for me. I tend to enjoy Phantom Regiments show as such then, far more than what I perceive is the majority of the few fans here on DCP. Are fans here representative of the national audiences ? Perhaps on some topics. But I do not believe so here on the recent shows from Phantom Regiment, irrespective of its placements. I contend that Phantom Regiment's shows the last few years, on the whole, have been very well received by national audiences. I base this on the reaction from crowds we hear at the completion of their shows... their number of views on Youtube, and the like. This is verifiable data in my opinion. Phantom Regiment placed where they did last season however, primarily because their brass line was 7th, and their percussion line was 8th. Its hard to place higher, when the judges think you have issues with the quality of your percussion and brass line playing qualities, compared with your pecking order peer groups. That has essentially been the problem with the lower placements of late with Phantom. Keep in mind that Phantom Regiment won a DCI Title in 2008 with a rehash theme they themselves did twice before ( " Spartacus "). They won in 2008 primarily because their brass line and percussion line playing had far better quality than today... as both these sections finished high at Finals. Plus, they had a show that connected emotionally very well with the audience and the judges. The 2008 DCI winning show was understandable to just about everyone. Put this altogether, and the lack of " modernity " was virtually no barrier at all for Phantom's winning of that DCI Title for themselves. THATS the " secret " elixer that Phantom Regiment needs to find again, imo. Phantom Regiment is not now, and will never be, the Blue Devils. That fact is neither a blessing nor a curse. It has never been the case. And it has never stopped them before from medaling or winning it all either.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Brasso, I agree with you however Sparticus was a rehashed show in name only (IMO) The difference IMO (Having marched the Original) was different is like looking at snap shots of the show in the Raw vs. looking at a fully developed video.

While being revolutionary or ground breaking at the time, when comparing it to the 2008 production, is like night and day. Even if they had not won, or each group executed to the level they did that year, it was again a newer version that was ground breaking to a level we may never see again....Hopefully we do.

Brasso, I agree with you however Sparticus was a rehashed show in name only (IMO) The difference IMO (Having marched the Original) was different is like looking at snap shots of the show in the Raw vs. looking at a fully developed video.

While being revolutionary or ground breaking at the time, when comparing it to the 2008 production, is like night and day. Even if they had not won, or each group executed to the level they did that year, it was again a newer version that was ground breaking to a level we may never see again....Hopefully we do.

You make a valid counterpoint, phantombari1. The 2008 Phantom Regiment "Spartacus", although a theme done twice before by Phantom, was quite different both musically and visually from its predecessors by Phantom.