Phantom Regiment 2016

An example of a show that easily could've fit within Regiment's commitment to classical music: 2015 SCV. A modern drum corps show that could've been programmed to fit Phantom Regiment (e.g., with a different ballad). It placed in fifth, but it was leagues ahead of Regiment in terms of design depth, in my opinion. Modern, to me, doesn't equate to higher placement - it equates to a smart depth of design (thematic, music, visual) that is in line with aspirational peers.

Absolutely! I've said before that I think Crown has stolen a bit of Phantom's DNA - E=mc2's distilling of the "essence" of Philip Glass is something Phantom should have done as soon as electronics were legalized. Crown is now the ones I look to for "modern" DCI classical.

What drives me nuts as a Phan is just that at some point the corps muckity mucks seemed to say "Naah, we're good with how we do things," and it hasn't moved much since. Phantom in 2015 didn't look or sound appreciably different than Phantom in 2005. It's not a binary choice either - it's absolutely possible to push the edge outward while still keeping it classy and listenable. Heck, even the Blue Devils seem to have figured it out the last couple of years.

I *want* Phantom to blow everyone away - I want them to be in the discussion with Crown and BD and Bluecoats - but it feels like their programming keeps aiming for the next tier below.

Mike

• Like 3

Absolutely! I've said before that I think Crown has stolen a bit of Phantom's DNA - E=mc2's distilling of the "essence" of Philip Glass is something Phantom should have done as soon as electronics were legalized. Crown is now the ones I look to for "modern" DCI classical.

What drives me nuts as a Phan is just that at some point the corps muckity mucks seemed to say "Naah, we're good with how we do things," and it hasn't moved much since. Phantom in 2015 didn't look or sound appreciably different than Phantom in 2005. It's not a binary choice either - it's absolutely possible to push the edge outward while still keeping it classy and listenable. Heck, even the Blue Devils seem to have figured it out the last couple of years.

I *want* Phantom to blow everyone away - I want them to be in the discussion with Crown and BD and Bluecoats - but it feels like their programming keeps aiming for the next tier below.

Mike

Agreed that Crown has out-Regimented the Regiment for the better part of the last decade. I would use Finis, but Regiment won the title that year (thus opening the door for an argument that I'm not trying to make - placement). In fact, I chose SCV 2015 specifically because it placed fifth and not a title (like Crown 2013) to show that placement isn't my argument!

Again for me its about pride from musical interpretation all the way down to the drill. Some of the designers and writers I believe put their own pride above the corp. Their musical interpretations or designs must be heard or seen in their own vision with no real desire to change for better scores.

I remember one season when a particular section completely over played their instruments at the cost of scores and was never corrected then entire season. You can hear it on the DVD's.

Call it attention to detail or laziness, either way all of the things should be addressed as soon as it happens. It's no secret where the issues are in any show. Address it, fix it, and move on.

Mike

This a 100x's over.

But they can't keep a team together long enough to have consistency. Hell, the whole guard staff bolted to Madison and the brass staff (full of long time vets) jumped to the Cavaliers!

Edited by phd-student-TTU

Again for me its about pride from musical interpretation all the way down to the drill. Some of the designers and writers I believe put their own pride above the corp. Their musical interpretations or designs must be heard or seen in their own vision with no real desire to change for better scores.

I remember one season when a particular section completely over played their instruments at the cost of scores and was never corrected then entire season. You can hear it on the DVD's.

Call it attention to detail or laziness, either way all of the things should be addressed as soon as it happens. It's no secret where the issues are in any show. Address it, fix it, and move on.

If you were referring to 2013, I'm pretty sure that was done as a big FU to the powers that be.

If you were referring to 2013, I'm pretty sure that was done as a big FU to the powers that be.

So this has happened more than once...that's the reason I didn't date that incident. Based on your comment it sounds to me like there are bigger issues than just attention to detail.

Edited by Phantombari1

Really enjoyed the park video. I think I'll be liking this year's show. Look forward to seeing it on the field.

• Like 2

I really loved last year's show from a musical standpoint. My issue with the designers is just the overwhelming amount of cheese they put in shows. It borders on embarrassing. 2014's uniform change was done with seemingly little thought - hiding members behind glad trash bags. Last year, the pearls, the hats, the can-can, the sinatra, the shopping - it was just all so cheesy. Not to mention how poorly designed the drill was. Nothing like the mid-2000s when they were perhaps at their best ever. 2007 was remarkable. That is my favorite Regiment show - no silly gimmicks - just great marching, playing and guard work. I didn't think 2008 was cheesy or gimmicky at all. It was obvi a great show, I just prefer 2006 and 2007.

Edited by henry7184