Phantom Regiment 2016

Why they have to play big runs on top of all the lush brassy goodness.

Because that's modern-day drum corps arranging, like it or not (I don't).

For me where the Regiment let themselves down with regards to show design, is they seem less equipped to pre-empt what the judges are looking for in the season ahead. As a result they start the season playing catch-up.

Can't be helped by constantly replacing their staff... why do the board of Directors keep doing this?

I'm a fan of his years book. YPG is a fantastic piece of music, it has Regiment written all over it.

On the first sentence I have to disagree. A lot of people are assuming things due to their first read on music. A big mistake. Once things are filled in (transitions, effects), and once the drill and visual ideas are in place then I think we will get a better idea. I personally enjoyed the music and feel it has growth. Also, your comment in the first line about "what the judges are looking for..." is misleading and assumes judges have a set criteria for show design and performance in their head. They don't. Judges DO NOT enter the season expecting corps to do certain things, to be like others, to design like others. They only judge what is given to them, then react to it.

As for the 2nd line, remember that some of Phantom's staff left to work for SCV. The board didn't get rid of them, the staff simply left for so called "greener" pastures. Other times staff are let go, and in those cases it's not always because of quality of work, but perhaps quality of teaching, quality of teamwork, and in some cases unfair treatment to the marching members.

I agree with line 3. I really like their music. YPG was likely conducted too fast at the concert. It needs to be pulled down a few clicks, and we'll see how they transition into it. That tune always feels more like an opener to me than a closer, more the way SCV did it in 1981 and The Cadets did in 2001. So using it as a closer is perhaps my only concern for this show from a musical standpoint. But let's see what they got planned for us. :)

• Like 1

It doesn't make sense though. Why not just have a better arranged show from the beginning of the season? Why would you have really bad awkward transitions in the first place? Why would you have big sections that you cut out and redo completely? Everyone layers. That's not new.

The description you just gave makes it sound like they intentionally come out with a weaker initial product and wait to make it better. Why not make it better in the first place? I can't think of a good reason for that.

Drumman, this approach hasn't changed since I was in...not how I would do things especially looking at the corps who consistently win...is it right or wrong...I think that you're first set of scores determine positioning for the rest of the season for the most part. Not in all cases but most. Maybe that's why BD wins the most. Just a thought.

Coming out squeeky clean and powerful works for BD and it can work for others as well. Keep in mind BD doesn't create shows that are easy,,,Why are they able to consistently do it while few others can duplicate.

Maybe the standards are higher earlier. (I don't know the answer to that)

Remember when Myron Rosander came aboard...a Different standard was introduced albeit a brief change. Who will carry the torch...

Edited by Phantombari1

Drumman, this approach hasn't changed since I was in...not how I would do things especially looking at the corps who consistently win...is it right or wrong...I think that you're first set of scores determine positioning for the rest of the season for the most part. Not in all cases but most. Maybe that's why BD wins the most. Just a thought.

Coming out squeeky clean and powerful works for BD and it can work for others as well. Keep in mind BD doesn't create shows that are easy,,,Why are they able to consistently do it while few others can duplicate.

Maybe the standards are higher earlier. (I don't know the answer to that)

Remember when Myron Rosander came aboard...a Different standard was introduced albeit a brief change. Who will carry the torch...

If that was true, the Cadets would have won the championship the past few years. Remember that Phantom regiment was scoring extremely well in the beginning of the 2009 season. Was that a case of slotting? Yes. But like all slotting, the judges figure things out by the end of the season and Phantom ended up in 9th. It's very very misguided to say that the corps that come out with the cleanest show in the beginning of the season are the ones who win it all. And is a disservice to the judges out there who are doing their best to make sure competition is fair. It just so happens that certain corps are consistently excellent, and BD is one of them.

Again referring to the norm...The corps that start the strongest usually end up placing very high...They don't run soft shows for earlier high scores. The execute the difficult shows plain and simple.

And a Regiment show that demonstrates your point is 2012. They were clean early and often (relatively minor changes, as I recall), and they stayed ahead of a Cadets group that made changes all season long to appease judges.

• Like 3

So, no one has noticed (or mentioned) that the battery has on different unis than the rest of the MMs....
all black with red "sash" and some sort of "chevron" symbol/seal/badge on the left chest - that rest do not have...

maybe the white jackets will be removed to reveal a matching black top, red sash at some point....

Edited by ashevillemurphy

So, no one has noticed (or mentioned) that the battery has on different unis than the rest of the MMs....

all black with red "sash" and some sort of "chevron" symbol/seal/badge on the left chest - that rest do not have...

maybe the white jackets will be removed to reveal a matching black top, red sash at some point....

Several folks have mentioned that the front ensemble is wearing different unis than the rest. And that many of us like them.

• Like 1

I commented on that. I like it. The pit has on different unis than the brass. Bands used to do that back in the 70's and early to mid 80's.

I've listened to the concert a few times.

Individually I like the pieces but agree with those posters who say that musical transitions will probably be given more attention, even with applause time and visual/guard/choreography developments.

To me it seems that the horn selections were arranged individually and completely distinct from the other pieces; there are no leit-motifs of melody or mood which tie the show. YPG does seem to point to a typical PR big finish rowsing finale (the artistic Into the Light being a worthy exception.)

Tempo was definitely up for a concert venue but may work out fine in LOS with the drill charging the stands from backfield/midfield drives to get the audience on their feet for the conclusion.

I found myself hungering for most of the pieces to be further developed, e.g. how short was the Shostakovitch, Ave Corpus, etc. Then it hit me: how much time is the hornline actually playing (?) as I was left with the residue feeling that the battery was playing several drum "features." Brasslines playing 8 to 9 minutes as a maximum seem to be the norm of late.

Perhaps those of you with stop watches, etc. might actually time the amount given to the drum breaks, subtract from the total number of ensemble performance minutes (starting "gun" to "finish" gun to use old terms), and come up with the actual minutes that the hornline is playing. Several corps have been diminishing the amount of brass time over the years, BD probably being most notable. The increase of percussion time is different from let's say back with Star of Indiana and a few of the California corps in the '90's and '00's; Star, later Cadets, later BD was known to be tacit for whole pieces.

How long a section actually plays in a show may be a design question not so much of musical taste but of going with the strength of sections in any given year.

I have not queried my sponsorees here giving them the space to develop their program before I see them live at the end of the month.

Have others had similar impressions?

Edited by xandandl