Phantom Regiment 2016

With all this talk, I had to go and watch 2010 again. It still brings a tear to my eye, which is why I love Phantom.

I said a long time ago that the powers that be at PR don't know how to program for modern drum corps. .

Was 2012 ancient history.. or " modern " day to you ? The reason I ask is that Phantom Regiment medaled as recently as 2012 . Would you say that SCV then is far worse than Phantom Regiment with not knowing" how to program for modern drum corps ", in your view ? , Afterall, SCV has not medaled since 2004.

Edited by BRASSO

I listen more than I watch shows so if you have good music I'm set. But I need to watch what I say on these boards so I don't offend people.

I'm right there with you. I don't ever watch shows after the season, I only listen to them so the visual side of things is not as important to me

I'm right there with you. I don't ever watch shows after the season, I only listen to them so the visual side of things is not as important to me

In all seriousness the only time we watch them at my house is when we start drinking 😅 but WGI has been more of thing recently because people don't have favorites and slotting doesn't really exist because there are new groups every year.

Was 2012 ancient history.. or " modern " day to you ? The reason I ask is that Phantom Regiment medaled as recently as 2012 . Would you say that SCV then is far worse than Phantom Regiment with not knowing" how to program for modern drum corps ", in your view ? , Afterall, SCV has not medaled since 2004.

Winning a medal four years ago with a show that had a lot of GE and was performed to the 10s doesn't mean it was modern. BD, Crown, and others have reshaped the discourse for modern drum corps. The complex layering and visual innovations drive the change. You can't be a music first corps anymore.

With all this talk, I had to go and watch 2010 again. It still brings a tear to my eye, which is why I love Phantom.

Same. That percussion book was sublime. I can listen to the percussion only standstill and just enjoy the entire story line through that as well.

I like watching the video if only for the facial expressions of each and every member. From the moment they took the field, they owned it. They knew going in they weren't going to medal, but that didn't matter, they knew they were making something beautiful.

Edit to add: There's two that get me EVERY time I watch. 1) The guy in the pit right after the DM salutes and removes his hat. He looks up to the DM with a look of complete serenity that this is a precious moment as the last time they get to do this show. 2) The soloists mid-show that release, remove the horn forward and give this absolutely heartbreaking look to the stands/box knowing they've done that release for the last time.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

Winning a medal four years ago with a show that had a lot of GE and was performed to the 10s doesn't mean it was modern.

I suppose thats just a matter of opinion then. I thought Phantom's recent 2012 medal winning show was sufficiently "modern" enough. The judges did too, unless you believe that the judges were rewarding shows in 2012 that lacked originality, modern creativity, etc in your view. How really " modern " by the way are these 3 Corps you mention that play songs like Jingle Bells, other Christmas Carols, or Dionne Warwick 60's pop tunes, and the like ? Also, these elite Corps you just mentioned will also be playing songs this year that have previously been played from between 4 and 12 Corps before. The fact that it will be a new brass arrangement from all the others, constitutes something fresh, new, and " modern " in brass playing , do you think ? Or might it just be that these perennially elite Corps simply have the MM talent to play just about any" old " ( non modern ) thing they want, as it'll work just fine for them.

Edited by BRASSO

. You can't be a music first corps anymore.

I agree.

Its ironic to me that with so many Music Majors in the activity marching, that the Guard marcher has more individual input on the new DCI scoring sheets than an individual brass player does. Yes, you can get a college degree in " Dance ", but as far as I know, there are no 4 year college degrees in " Guard ", nor any Masters, or Phd's in it. Yet Guard and Visuals primarily drive the" modern" day DCI scores, more so than Brass and Percussion do now.. It was not always this way. Music used to primarily drive a Corps scores in DCI. Guards were almost an afterthought. But that was before we had such high percentages of Music Majors enter the activity. But now that they are here in large numbers, DCI changes things up, and awards the Visual and the Guards the biggest slice of the apple to build up the scores for a Corps chances. kinda odd, imo. But go figure ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

I agree.

Its ironic to me that with so many Music Majors in the activity marching, that the Guard marcher has more individual input on the new DCI scoring sheets than an individual brass player does. Yes, you can get a college degree in " Dance ", but as far as I know, there are no 4 year college degrees in " Guard ", nor any Masters, or Phd's in it. Yet Guard and Visuals primarily drive the" modern" day DCI scores, more so than Brass and Percussion do now.. It was not always this way. Music used to primarily drive a Corps scores in DCI. Guards were almost an afterthought. But that was before we had such high percentages of Music Majors enter the activity. But now that they are here in large numbers, DCI changes things up, and awards the Visual and the Guards the biggest slice of the apple to build up the scores for a Corps chances. kinda odd, imo. But go figure ( haha!)

To me it really isn't odd now a days, there are many many many guard people who are music majors believe it or not and have been in the past. Music majors aren't just limited to music anymore they have branched out to other things in the activity. Personally being well rounded like myself in music and guard is a slight advantage specially within the GE and Visual aspects as we get most of our ideas visually from music. We all learn from one another musically and visually.

• Like 2