MADISON SCOUTS 2016

So, what I hear you saying is that in order for Madison to once again become a top 6 corps, they need to separate themselves from their core values...Do I have that about right?

Not core values just the design of shows that have been coming out and adapting to the age we are now. So you can have your tradition or you can be top 6.

Madison can easily be a top corps next year.

This year's content was a mismatch - - dark adaptation of an upbeat Jesus rock opera using only the original music. That no worky for a number of reasons:

-The adapted show content doesn't match the original music in timbre, style or story.

-The ending number is exuberant, but the adapted story is not.

-The material is grim including a suicide, a death by crucifixion, a whipping and lots of depressing religious subject matter. Yay!

-The dark tone, selected lead character, and subject matter doesn't match a jubilant drum corps medium. When do we give a standing ovation, when Jesus dies, when Judas commits suicide, or when Judas scoffs at Jesus on the cross, or at the buoyant ending that has nothing to do with Judas?

-The original already strains the boundaries of adaptation-- a buoyant anachronistic broadway musical theater rock opera about the Bible. When you further adapt the focus, story, style and timbre, and put it on a drum corps field, it starts to break apart as if in space re-entry.

The MM's talent level is still superb and primed for next year.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

So crowns show of a man shooting his father and the son revenge shooting is ok? PR Spartacus show, but Madison can't have a dark show about a man who is torn between love and hate and turns his bask on a friend for money then regrets his decision and can't live with what he's done and ends his life?

Seen the show a few times live this season. Take it for what it's worth (alums will hate this), but the best thing the Scouts could do, moving forward, is to stop trying to be "the Madison Scouts."

No more retro programming, no more attempts to go back and play old charts or recapture what worked 15 or 30 years ago. The corps hasn't really been innovative in programming since the Carmen show which was...what - 10 years ago? And that was a one and done attempt.

The activity has moved to a new address, but it feels like Madison is just trying to update their 1970s ranch house. It's done, folks. Whip out a blank piece of paper, write "150 performers" at the top, and then go from there. Everything else should be open for 'new', since new, as noted in an early episode of Mad Men, is the most exciting word in the English language.

My two cents.

Personally would have loved the Bluecoats' show to be Madison's show this year. It feels very Madison, props aside - it feels like what Madison in 2016 could (should?) be. Old flavor, new tricks.

I too agree that much of Bluecoats "Down Side Up" is a show that could be a Madison Scouts show...and even some of the 'Coats design team have said the music arrangements (especially the brass book) were written in a style that will cause some to think of "classic Madison and BD," but at the same time be TOTALLY modern.

I haven't had the chance to see Madison live this year, but I'm certainly looking forward to them coming to Massillon. 'Coats and Scouts have long been my favorite two corps!

So crowns show of a man shooting his father and the son revenge shooting is ok? PR Spartacus show, but Madison can't have a dark show about a man who is torn between love and hate and turns his bask on a friend for money then regrets his decision and can't live with what he's done and ends his life?

The original music doesn't match the new adapted story. I can't make it any more plain.

• Like 1

The original music doesn't match the new adapted story. I can't make it any more plain.

This is why I've stated that I believe the 2016 rendition has become in many ways a caricature of the 99' show...The 99' show did a fabulous job of interpreting the music/visuals to the story line.

• Like 1

Serious question not to anger or start a war. Madison scout alums would you rather be top 6 or keep Madison Scouts tradition? To can only pick one and none of that I want the traditionalast show to win.

I guess I still don't understand the idea that you have to be one or the other. SCV comes to mind. They still look and sound like the SCV I know, but have modern, cutting-edge shows. I feel Scouts can still be "The Scouts" in look and feel with cutting-edge shows while not selling its soul for the sake of a number. Early views of this show had me thinking it was cutting edge and different.

Reading the FB post regarding finances makes one realize how much of a thing that is. That's a difficult hurdle to overcome.

While this year's show is a re-make, other recent shows like New York Morning and last year's production show the Scouts can be themselves while also putting a product on the field that fits into what today's competitive system requires.

• Like 1