MADISON SCOUTS 2016

You're entitled to you opinion. Of the 4, I like BK's show the best, hands down. I don't know how anyone could watch Regiment and say they have more content than the other three, with two ballads and a lot of park and blow. To me, Madison's drill is more compelling than both Regiment's and BK's. BK relies heavily on body movement, at the complete expense of interesting drill. That being said, I love their show (especially the music) so much.

As far as choppy arrangements, who doesn't have them this year? Maybe Regiment and SCV. That's it. That's the new norm in DCI and I hate it, but Madison certainly has a more melodic show than BK and BS.

I disagree wholeheartedly about guard integration. Cavies guard is the most well integrated IMO, and Madison's is more well integrated than BK and BS. Phantom has a tremendously effective guard this year.

What show has buildup this year, save SCV?

I think your observations speak to the general state of DCI today, and you point out several problems that I agree with you are problems and diminish the activity.

I think your observations speak to the general state of DCI today, and you point out several problems that I agree with you are problems and diminish the activity.

I 100% agree with this. I was stunned last night watching SCV. I feel every single corps tries so hard to be artsy and it's just so forced. SCV's show is just simple (not in terms of demand), elegant, refined and beautiful. It's the most artistic and best designed show, IMO, because it's not trying to hard.

Honestly, I'm at my whits end with DCI these days. At the end of the day, I only love one show (SCV) this year. It's so frustrating that hornlines seem to be playing less and less, and there's no sustained melody, or build up. It's like a horn concerto with the percussion serving as the orchestra.

I subscribed to the live video on dci.org before the start of the season. Next year, I'm going to wait.

• Like 1

And, I don't have an issue with people saying they like BK, BS or Regiment better than the Scouts. I have an issue with people saying they aren't on the same level as those three, or don't have the content of those three. They are and they do. Those three and Madison, are simply not on the same level as the Top 6 this year. Not even close.

I will end by saying BK's show is my favorite of the four, BS's show is my least favorite of the four.

I 100% agree with this. I was stunned last night watching SCV. I feel every single corps tries so hard to be artsy and it's just so forced. SCV's show is just simple (not in terms of demand), elegant, refined and beautiful. It's the most artistic and best designed show, IMO, because it's not trying to hard.

Honestly, I'm at my whits end with DCI these days. At the end of the day, I only love one show (SCV) this year. It's so frustrating that hornlines seem to be playing less and less, and there's no sustained melody, or build up. It's like a horn concerto with the percussion serving as the orchestra.

I subscribed to the live video on dci.org before the start of the season. Next year, I'm going to wait.

SCV has always had that class and elegance. They know who they are. I can watch their four cymbals the entire show and be hella entertained. They are just so bad azz and have been year after year. So many of the other corps seem to be trying to catch up to the leader (BD) so they try to do what BD does. This includes chopping up the arrangements. Kudos to the corps who refuse to get on this merry go round. There aren't many of them. Cadets, Crown and SCV in my opinion anyway. Madison should not shy away from their historical identity. SCV shows us you can be true to yourself and still be competitive. Edited by HockeyDad

But do you think that Madison's historical identity is too "in your face" for today's type of drum corps activity?

But do you think that Madison's historical identity is too "in your face" for today's type of drum corps activity?

Every corps has an identity; it's what they choose to do with that identity. They can either stay firmly entrenched in something long past or choose to evolve.

No, not at all. I wish it was more melodic though. I wish it was required that hornlines play for at least 9:30 of every show. I wish corps would play 3-4 pieces during shows and actually have sustainable melody and a piece that builds...not so chop and bop, and I think Madison is kinda chop and bop this year.

• Like 1

Every corps has an identity; it's what they choose to do with that identity. They can either stay firmly entrenched in something long past or choose to evolve.

Yes, but the evolution we saw in the 80s greatly enhanced the activity. the evolution we are seeing today is damaging it IMO. I'm not talking about trombones and narration and electronics. I think those are actually great components of evolution. I'm talking about the lack of melody and the lack of entertainment. I feel both are being more and more diminished with each passing year.

I do enjoy Madison's show this year. I find it quite entertaining. This may be because I am familiar with both the musical and movie versions of Jesus Christ Superstar.

• Like 1

I really don't know what this means, ( although I've heard such an observation expressed before ). NO Corps that is currently in existence has " stayed firmly entrenched in something long past ". Every current DCI Corps is nothing like they were even just a decade or so go. None of them look the same, nor sound the same. They have all changed and" evolved " to one degree or another. Some good, some not so good. All the dozens of Corps,... and their fanbases, alums, etc... that "stayed firmly in place" however, have all returned to dust for all intents and purposes.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1