If you won the lottery...

I'm not a synth player. (I actually just realized that people can interpret my name to be a reference to synth sounds. Never heard that described as "goo" before). Yes the cadets horn playing was meaningless. Experience doesn't equate to being unable to understand concepts and when you boil it down, the cadets show was about nothing of substance. They played incredibly well, but I had no reason to think during their show (aside from mental math for 30 seconds in the ballad). If you're gonna be a dick and judge the quality of what somebody has to say by their experience then god you really need to get a clue.

<snip>

I just realized this doesn't have anything to do with winning the lottery, unless you intend to use your winnings to send GH and his designers into forced retirement.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

If you're gonna be a dick and judge the quality of what somebody has to say by their experience then god you really need to get a clue.

Oh, and I beg to differ: a HUGE amount of the "...quality of what somebody has to say..." is based on their experience. There are a lot of book-worms, scientists, politicians, arm-chair quarterbacks, and feux-corps directors who speak lofty platitudes of knowledge based on watching what others do, but have no actual practice doing what they say needs to be done.

Every battle plan is completely outdated the moment the war starts, every investment plan looks good in pretty charts on paper but rarely succeeds in actual practice - there's nothing about "experience" that is bad; the more you have of it the better.

So, yeah, I do judge the "quality" of what someone says by their experience actually doing it. And it was with God's help and my own hard work that has gotten me to that wisdom. God doesn't need a clue.

/rant

• Like 1

I'm not a synth player. (I actually just realized that people can interpret my name to be a reference to synth sounds. Never heard that described as "goo" before). Yes the cadets horn playing was meaningless.

You've never heard of synths being called "goo" before? So, this is one of those "experience" things. Maybe you're young and never been to a show outdoors. Maybe you've never been to an indoor drum corps show, lucky you!, you've never experienced the effect of the dome. Or maybe you're just new to DCP, where we've been calling it "goo" continuously since 2010.

So, yea, you might share some perspective of your experience that gives you your opinion about Cadets. I kinda liked their choice of music. The rest of the design, well....

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I'd try my hand at funding the music departments of poor school districts, because nothing grosses me out more than watching students at a rich school have a better and more fulfilling high school music education simply because they happen to live in an area that goes to a wealthy school, and other kids having to be content with being the "leftover" kids simply because they lived in a place.

From here, I'd ensure that DCI's next crop of kids to march is larger, and more experienced, thereby making the activity stronger.

I actually just realized that people can interpret my name to be a reference to synth sounds. Never heard that described as "goo" before.

The term "thunderous goo" was coined on DCP early in 2010, the second year that electronics were allowed in DCI, to describe the horrible use of bass synthesizer which every corps seemed to be doing, and doing excessively, to make themselves sound louder. It was so prevalent that some people here wondered whether corps would soon drop their tuba sections. (There's a good post from around that time by Bruckner8 on the science of acoustics and the number of tubas that a corps needs for proper balance.) Personally, I find it hard to listen to quite a few DCI recordings from 2009-2012, because the great brass chords kept being overrun by that awful noise.

No reason you should know that, of course. Corps have since become more judicious in their electronic use, so the term has been used less frequently in these parts of late.

• Like 1

I would donate 25 million directly to DCI with the following conditions:

1. That they distribute the funds properly with the intent of lowering tuition for marching members.

2. That they permanently eliminate all electronics.

3. Color guard must do equipment work for at least 10 minutes of each show.

4. Certain body movement will result in penalties:

a. One tenth of a point for each "bug squash"

b. Half a point every time they do the "twisty waist, swivel the knees" move

c. One full point for each time a member falls to the ground, rolls around, and reaches to the sky as if reborn.

Here's my question: would DCI take your money and accept your conditions?

$25 million is more than two years' worth of operating budget for DCI, I believe.

But since you mandate that they have to, basically, offset the additional income by requiring corps to reduce member fees, DCI would have to consider: how much money would corps lose by permanently abandoning electronics?

DCI is not going backwards. MM are not going to accept less than the experience they are currently getting. Electronics are here to stay. Full corps dance and movement is here to stay. Thematic shows are here to stay. All the money in the world is not going to stop the momentum that already exists. The drum corps experience is what the kids make of it, and we need to stop standing in the way for our own selfish interests.

Here's my question: would DCI take your money and accept your conditions?

$25 million is more than two years' worth of operating budget for DCI, I believe.

But since you mandate that they have to, basically, offset the additional income by requiring corps to reduce member fees, DCI would have to consider: how much money would corps lose by permanently abandoning electronics?

I would donate 25 million directly to DCI with the following conditions:

1. That they distribute the funds properly with the intent of lowering tuition for marching members.

2. That they permanently eliminate all electronics.

3. Color guard must do equipment work for at least 10 minutes of each show.

4. Certain body movement will result in penalties:

a. One tenth of a point for each "bug squash"

b. Half a point every time they do the "twisty waist, swivel the knees" move

c. One full point for each time a member falls to the ground, rolls around, and reaches to the sky as if reborn.

Start my own circuit. First phone call to Mr. Scott Stewart to be the executive director of the circuit. We will fund (fully) as many corps (new or existing) as care to join. We will be unplugged. The scoring criteria will reward music above visual.

• Like 1

If I hit a big lottery....

I would start an all-age corps here in the Baltimore area, and spend so much money as to crush all competition. :lol: