Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

I'd say they're following their formula, but they've taken the formula to a whole new level. I consistently enjoy their use of props and the way the incorporate them into their shows. This show feels really fresh to me. I'm excited to see where it goes.

• Like 2

Yea, except they don't get judged compared to their past shows. Cadets have been marching +200 for decades. Again, innovative?

I did like how they set up the opener; the hand claps from the battery were a nice and (wait for it) INNOVATIVE touch.

I didn't say that marching over 200 was innovative.

get with the times and start wearing costumes rather than uniforms!

Well said, BorisK.

Ok, now that is just absurd. That is by FAR the hardest show they've ever done musically and visually, their tempos were pushing well over 200 for a large portion of that show for the first point. Some of the listening environments they created and put themselves in were absolutely ridiculous, and they pulled it off at an incredibly high level, their field coverage at times was ridiculous with what they were doing, thinking about the opener here and the way the front ensemble is set up. They were hauling ###, and if they weren't moving they were doing some kind of body or other stuff. Their simultaneous demand was incredibly high. Their horn book was incredibly dense as well. We might disagree on the show, but not much demand? Really?

And to borrow a line from The Cadets thread. It's June, if you think that's the ending, haha.

Are my opinions more or less absurd than your Mom's? Or do they just not agree with yours? (That's OK, I know the answer; you should ALWAYS do what your Mom says!)

"Listening environments"? Three props to hide behind is challenging? Did you see BD's show last year?

Spreading the field? Really? Maybe compared to THEIR past shows, but Cadets spread "10" from the ten to the ten last year. Innovative?

I'm not saying they won't medal or even contend for the title. What I'm saying is that I see as many cracks in their shell as I see in other June performances, and it's as futile to proclaim them dominating all the others in June as it is to say that Cadets or Crown are toast. Especially when we haven't even seen several dominating corps yet!

I understand and appreciate your excitement (and your lengthy review of last night!). I said the same thing about Cadets last year in June (until I saw BD in July).

• Like 1

As much as I've grown to despise the term (thanks to my studies), but paradigm shift perfectly describes this show.

Absolutely stunning design and execution. This is the future.

I'm curious: what paradigm, specifically, was shifted and how? Leotards? Props? Clapping? (I'll give you clapping - that was cool and much better than "drum speak").

Please share more of your perception of a paradigm shift.

• Like 1

No DCI judge will evaluate the 2016 Bluecoats in competition more than 4-5 times however ... at most .The majority of the DCI judges as a matter of fact won't evaluate the Bluecoats even once this summer.. The Bluecoats only have to establish their wonderful " cool factor " a very short time.. 8 weeks.., and with just a handful of judges on the nite of Sat. Aug.13th to make this" very transient, very short lived, cool effect" work for them as programmed this summer. Plus, like all Corps, I would imagine the Bluecoats will add some wonderful additional things to their fabulous show that will keep it fresh come Finals too.

Brasso again you step in the proverbial.

Judges can see easily see the same corps 10 or 11 times. Not to mention they "see" the show far more often than they judge it.

(go ahead -- ask for the judges and corps -- im ready :-)

It's a Doug Thrower show (maybe his best) Of course there is a tuba feature! They're featured a few times. And they blew the roof off LOS near the end of Great Gig. You're gonna smile...a lot!

Almost forgot...get your tickets for Massillon TODAY. They'll cost you more tomorrow. On sale at DCI.org

Too late ... you have to buy them at the gate now. Box office opens at 3:00.

Pit setup is innovative. Never been done that I'm aware.

The spread of the pit was definitely ridiculous. Not sure if it has been done before or not, though Cavies did take it one step further in 2014 and put the marimbas on the field itself!