Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

"New ideas about how something can be done".

Considering that WHAT is being done is the same (entertaining and competing using musical performance on a football field), is that something being done using "new ideas"? Well, sure, but don't we get that every year in this activity?

CAN there be anything in this activity that is truly INNOVATIVE? Or is it simply "different" from what we've seen before?

Has anyone clapped the corps onto the field? No. That's new so would qualify as innovative.

Does spreading the pit qualify as innovative? I don't think so; lots of variations of pit placement have preceded 'Coats' version

Do the half-pipes qualify as innovative? I would say no; ironically, no because, primarily, because of their ramps from two years ago!

Is their spread across the field innovative. Definitely no.

Does their music book, or even their articulation of it, represent new or innovative? Definitely no.

Their drum book? No, it's not even close to what Cadets are playing.

How do I define "innovative"? Simple. have I seen it before or not?

Admittedly, that's a high bar if only because I've been watching drum corps for 40 years. But I listened and watched very closely last night in the theater (I admit I may feel differently watching the show live) and I saw some very cool stuff. But was it "innovative"? No by Webster's definition, and not by mine.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, garfield. I don't think I completely agree with you on what is or is not innovation or about Bluecoats show, but that's not important. I'm just thankful for the thoughtful discourse.

BTW, I haven't seen them live yet, either, so maybe I'll feel differently then as well.)

Thinking about it further, though, I will question this (for garfield or others): Is there a difference between "innovation" and "invention"? From a purely denotative sense, obviously there is. But the way some may define innovation (or more clearly, "non-innovation"), I'm given pause. Does something really have to be "never seen before" to be innovative? Or can a "sum is greater than its parts" kind of thing be considered as innovative? I think I lean toward the latter.

Oh, and if this is becoming a tiresome topic, feel free to let it die. I don't want to beat a dead horse tonight - just interested in exchanging ideas.

Anyone watch this show on acid? Please report back.

• Like 1

You're in a very long and distinguished line of fans doing the same!

I saw earlier that you've been watching drum corps for 40(+?) years. I totally respect your opinion, but I just love this show. I've been watching for 28 years.

The Bluecoats show this year reminds me a bit of how a lot of fans reacted to Star's Medea show.

• Like 1

Ok, now that is just absurd. That is by FAR the hardest show they've ever done musically and visually, their tempos were pushing well over 200 for a large portion of that show for the first point. Some of the listening environments they created and put themselves in were absolutely ridiculous, and they pulled it off at an incredibly high level, their field coverage at times was ridiculous with what they were doing, thinking about the opener here and the way the front ensemble is set up. They were hauling ###, and if they weren't moving they were doing some kind of body or other stuff. Their simultaneous demand was incredibly high. Their horn book was incredibly dense as well. We might disagree on the show, but not much demand? Really?

And to borrow a line from The Cadets thread. It's June, if you think that's the ending, haha.

Yes, the demand of having the pit so far spread out on the field yet still playing together is very high.

Wow, lots of naysayers. I find it very amusing. If the BD were innovative, then this is as well. This is a game changing design.

It's very entertaining too. They show such a variety of skills ( thanks BD for point that out) and simultaneous demand.

Just the right amount of everything, including drill.

I'm all in!

Yes, the demand of having the pit so far spread out on the field yet still playing together is very high.

Wow, lots of naysayers. I find it very amusing. If the BD were innovative, then this is as well. This is a game changing design.

It's very entertaining too. They show such a variety of skills ( thanks BD for point that out) and simultaneous demand.

Just the right amount of everything, including drill.

I'm all in!

Not really - they have earpieces in and are listening to eachother in real time like in Cirque.

• Like 1

Innovation = sliding down props.

I give you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NLBkOjpoW8&feature=youtu.be&t=8m30s

It's not the what as much as the how.... That's always what I say. Good catch though!