Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

Ok, so Bloo has maximized ideas done by Madison's Pirates, Cadets' 2006 and 2012, still Bloo is most au courant with the slides and gymnastics.

With the minor criticisms about the underside of the slides needing to be painted to match the front when they are lifted to turn, here's another idea to copy:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/glass-slide-1-000-feet-145317874.html

Ok, so Bloo has maximized ideas done by Madison's Pirates, Cadets' 2006 and 2012, still Bloo is most au courant with the slides and gymnastics.

With the minor criticisms about the underside of the slides needing to be painted to match the front when they are lifted to turn, here's another idea to copy:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/glass-slide-1-000-feet-145317874.html

The underside of the slides is distracting, but I doubt that painting them to match the front would improve the situation due to all the support bars and such. Since marchers are using the supports as ladders throughout the show, boxing them in won't work either. Don't know how you "fix" this, as I agree it is distracting in an otherwise (intentionally) visually seamless show design.

As an aside, sort of, I noticed how many times performers are playing directly in front of the slides. For anyone who has seen the show live, is this increasing the volume of the music? Seems pretty ingenious if so.

• Like 1

As an aside, sort of, I noticed how many times performers are playing directly in front of the slides. For anyone who has seen the show live, is this increasing the volume of the music? Seems pretty ingenious if so.

Sound battens/walls are often used in concert halls for that exact effect. Star of Indiana/Brass Theater used them on the field back in the '80's when they did the concert French horn encore feature.

Good catch, Rapp star.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

The underside of the slides is distracting, but I doubt that painting them to match the front would improve the situation due to all the support bars and such. Since marchers are using the supports as ladders throughout the show, boxing them in won't work either. Don't know how you "fix" this, as I agree it is distracting in an otherwise (intentionally) visually seamless show design.

Yes ... They help project the music exactly the way you would think.

I keep watching the BCoats show.... I've seen alot of drum corps in the past 35 years or so, but honestly, this is really one of the most, if not the most, completely interesting and so well designed shows I've ever seen. The music is awesome, the colors (!) and the entire concepts. All of the sliding, and walking/running up and down those ramps, Brazillian/South American Mod!

I'm predicting Gold for Bloo 2016. And it's only June. I can only imagine what else they can clean and add. Can't wait to see Bloo live!

• Like 1

Yes ... They help project the music exactly the way you would think.

I am sure this isn't the first time a corps has done this, but on top of everything else Bluecoats' design team pulled off, that is a scary brilliant design move. Just having the snares on top of the big ramp, with that massive slope projecting the sound...wow. Given how spread out the members often are, that's a pretty darned ingenious move.

I keep watching the BCoats show.... I've seen alot of drum corps in the past 35 years or so, but honestly, this is really one of the most, if not the most, completely interesting and so well designed shows I've ever seen. The music is awesome, the colors (!) and the entire concepts. All of the sliding, and walking/running up and down those ramps, Brazillian/South American Mod!

I'm predicting Gold for Bloo 2016. And it's only June. I can only imagine what else they can clean and add. Can't wait to see Bloo live!

The only scary thing about the state of this show is how good they can make it with ongoing tweaks. It's a three ring circus, both audially (sp) and visually. I've gone back and watched the premiere several times, and it blows my mind how hard they must have worked to get that much of a show onto the field in that advanced of a form.

I'm glad I am in Nashville and can see what will likely be the nearly final version, just before they head to Atlanta.

• Like 1

I absolutely love this show, just hope they do smart changes and maintain what makes it standout. That is probably my own potential concern. Starting out so strong is great, I just get flashbacks to Cadets last year.

Blue Devils are really good already with only a bare skeleton of a show that is sure to be fleshed out into something incredibly strong. I still think the Cadets reactions are too much, I think they will change and evolve that beast into a contender for sure. Carolina Crown is

more complete than the last two, but it's obvious they will probably do a 2015-esque full season flesh out. And Santa Clara Vanguard is a few tweaks and additions away from medal contention as well.

One thing is for sure, they picked the right season to be completely on top of their game, cause I think everyone else is going to really grow and make this a nail biter at the end.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1