Cadets 2016

Tobias

Cadets, and some other corps as well, have to rethink their use and design of props. You can't just put cheap looking props on the field and try to work your visual program around that. That will no longer win you a title or put you in medal position (if that is your goal). The Bluecoats have spent lavishly to buy and design props that they not only use, but even when not used they look wonderful, colorful, professional, and they enhance the visual look and feel of the corps and the show.

Carolina Crown has a beautiful stage coach on the field. It's just lovely and decorated perfectly. It enhances their show, both with its' use and when just sitting there doing nothing.

I thought BD's open-book props last year were cool and well used.

I think about what SCV did in 1989 with those Phantom mask props that dotted the field. So gorgeous. Same with their Scheherazade back drop from 2014.

If the goal is to NOT do a traditional show of just marching, drumming, and playing, and you wish to dot the field with a look and feel to enhance your show, then we are way beyond cheap-looking boxes, ladders, and overbearing large platforms (like Cadets used in 2014) that clutter the front field. That thing should have been backfield, maybe around the 2nd hash back.

It's just time to move forward with props.

• Like 2

I'm looking for a major shift into gear by this time next week Cadets including design changes, cleaning and some scoring moves in the right direction.

• Like 1

Bottom line, the cake props look like something my high school would have used. I know Cadets can do much better.

There has to be a way to construct a fountain-like structure that looks modern/sleek, professional, and still gives the effect of a Romanesque fountain or pedestal. Boston has been able to give the impression of windmills without building traditional looking windmills. Perhaps go along that route?

Im excited to see what changes the staff will implement

• Like 2

Very frustrated Cadets fan right now. Seems like the design team is just throwing darts at a dart board recently. The props are an embarrassment to the reputation of this organization. I have seen more professional props at high school plays. The theme is so shallow and poorly conceived that it makes me scratch my head. How has this show gotten this far without the design team raising valid concerns? Another talented group of Cadets will struggle all season with another show that is beneath their once high standards. As other corps gain momentum and excitement, the Cadets have the dubious task of making a poorly conceived idea work.

• Like 1

As of current, The Cadets are no longer a tip top tier drum corps. They are in that 4th-5th area of being really talented; but don't have the show to be top 3. The days of "General George" being the voice and influence of the activity are gone. I'm not even buying the whole "G7" thing, anymore. Again, the corps sure has the talent...but not the show design to back it up.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a major shift into gear by this time next week Cadets including design changes, cleaning and some scoring moves in the right direction.

I am too. Hoping, praying and ready to cheer them on.

• Like 1