Cadets 2016

Tobias

Boy you must be seeing things differently than I am. The 3 corps getting the biggest and loudest ovations and cheers are Bluecoats, Crown, and SCV. I don't even think it's questionable. Crown and Bloo and SCV are not just playing to the sheets, they are clearly fan darlings in a BIG BIG BIG way. Open your eyes and ears.

I think he was discussing last year

Agreed. As much as I enjoyed the Bluecoats show in Houston, all I remember is the visual. The fact that they won that show is an indicator to me. I didn't track how much playing there was but with the uniform change, the dancing hornlines and all the sliding tells me the visual is getting more rewarded than the music. Not saying they don't play well, it just isn't the focus.

Bluecoats have one of the MOST EXCITING brass and percussion books this season. A real Madison Scouts-style 1990s Spanish style book with fabulous melodies and killer solos. Perhaps you need another read.

• Like 1

And BD hasn't always been known as audience-accessible or general audience-friendly.

Bloo is solid across the board including music. Whether someone can whistle their music or not, doesn't mean a thing. They're having an amazing season, enjoy it! These seasons don't come every year. Judging community embracing a show is not a given even with a strong corps. Ask Cadets 2016.
  • Like 1

Anyway...

Is Cadets' new closer going in tonight?

I don't have any further info from my own experience and have been more concerned with two vets I sponsor who want to leave tour and come home now for various reasons. Evidently not all are happy but I think some of it may have to do with the dastardly Southern heat and humidity (Texas and MS), some with the changes and how they being instructed/implemented, some with the lack of competitive success and some with issues not having to do with the drum corps or its personnel. Wish me the best that I can convince each to stay the two weeks.

I wish you the best of luck! Even though I lack the experience of ever having participated, I can't help but think that even if they don't see it now, they will someday be glad if they stayed and regret if they left.

• Like 1

Hmmmm...hoping Hop's latest FB post is a misdirect.

they've been planning to add them toward the end zones - if it isn't positive to the judges they could vanish just as quickly hahahahaha

personally I'm not a fan of it

• Like 3

skevinp - Please try to encourage the members to stay. Falling to 5th in SA isn't the end of the world. Just think of the corps behind them who would like to be in their place. It is sad to see the comments being posted about some corps (i.e. Cadets, Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment). I know it can be difficult in dealing with the changes. Tell them there will be a bright side to this. This definitely will make them stronger individuals and build character.

• Like 1

skevinp - Please try to encourage the members to stay. Falling to 5th in SA isn't the end of the world. Just think of the corps behind them who would like to be in their place. It is sad to see the comments being posted about some corps (i.e. Cadets, Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment). I know it can be difficult in dealing with the changes. Tell them there will be a bright side to this. This definitely will make them stronger individuals and build character.

I imagine their parents are probably handling this. But we can all think good thoughts.