Cadets 2016

Tobias

Agreed. As much as I enjoyed the Bluecoats show in Houston, all I remember is the visual. The fact that they won that show is an indicator to me. I didn't track how much playing there was but with the uniform change, the dancing hornlines and all the sliding tells me the visual is getting more rewarded than the music. Not saying they don't play well, it just isn't the focus.

I guess the way I would describe the trend is that shows are being pushed more toward the general public's recognition of the show, and not just technical achievement. Corps have always cared about how the audience is impacted by their show, but now the scores are reflecting how effectively and overtly the performance delivers wow moments.

The challenge is to maintain the importance of technical achievement. But there is a reason the olympics gymnastics floor routines are far more widely watched than the compulsory routines.

Yes but it is referring to the current uniform isn't it? The one that they've been wearing all season long? Honest question, not trying to challenge.

Exactly the black uniforms through this season

Edited by George Dixon

I guess the way I would describe the trend is that shows are being pushed more toward the general public's recognition of the show, and not just technical achievement. Corps have always cared about how the audience is impacted by their show, but now the scores are reflecting how effectively and overtly the performance delivers wow moments.

The challenge is to maintain the importance of technical achievement. But there is a reason the olympics gymnastics floor routines are far more widely watched than the compulsory routines.

And BD hasn't always been known as audience-accessible or general audience-friendly.

And BD hasn't always been known as audience-accessible or general audience-friendly.

Maybe the more accurate way of summarizing the change is that the guard is now considered to be equal in scoring relevance to the players. This is clearly pushing corps to create show concepts that are greatly enhanced by elegant, challenging guard books. It also pretty much appears to be requiring show concepts that are more drama driven (story line) rather than a series of marching and playing routines.

I sure don't want DCI to become the equivalent of Olympic jazz dancing, though.

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of us in the same wavelength. But certainly don't want to imply Coats aren't deserving of their scores, they have put a wonderful show on the field and an awesome brass, drum and guard

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

Interesting discussion. I'm a bit of the opposite. I find Bluecoats' visual to be very meh and super forgettable. A lot of the time is spent just running around props. Their music, on the other hand, has great musicality and some really memorable and hummable moments

• Like 1

At the end of the day, I think four corps of last year's top 12 (Cadets, SCV, Madison and Regiment) are playing for the fans, and everyone else is playing to the sheets. I am a HUGE Crown homer, and I don't care for their show this year. I didn't care for their show at this time last year, and it is now one of my all time favorites, so I am hoping that will turn around by seasons end.

As much as I'm not a fan of a large portion of the Cadet visual show this year, there is some serious demand there. Simultaneous demand. To me, playing WHILE moving at fast speeds is more demanding and more content oriented than doing non-stop body movements/prancing/dancing while playing instead of playing and marching simultaneously, yet it seems is the latter that gets rewarded (both musically and visually).

I don't know crap about percussion, but I do think the Cadets should be battling for the lead in the music captions. To me their musical ensemble has more simultaneous demands than anyone else.

If it weren't for the Cadets, Regiment, SCV and Madison (and potentially Crown) I would kiss DCI bye-bye!

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

no, I didn't miss it.

I don't have any further info from my own experience and have been more concerned with two vets I sponsor who want to leave tour and come home now for various reasons. Evidently not all are happy but I think some of it may have to do with the dastardly Southern heat and humidity (Texas and MS), some with the changes and how they being instructed/implemented, some with the lack of competitive success and some with issues not having to do with the drum corps or its personnel. Wish me the best that I can convince each to stay the two weeks.

Dang, that's pretty unfortunate and sad to hear. I hope that you are able to convince them to stick it out. They've put in all of that hard work up until now and there are only a little over 2 weeks left. The southern heat sucks, I live in it so I know exactly what they're going through. After this week, if I'm not mistaken, they start to move north towards TN, PA, NY and IN where the summer is a lot more tolerable so hopefully they can see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as blazing hot days. Best of luck bro, let us know what happens if you care to share.

At the end of the day, I think four corps of last year's top 12 (Cadets, SCV, Madison and Regiment) are playing for the fans, and everyone else is playing to the sheets. I am a HUGE Crown homer, and I don't care for their show this year. I didn't care for their show at this time last year, and it is now one of my all time favorites, so I am hoping that will turn around by seasons end.

Boy you must be seeing things differently than I am. The 3 corps getting the biggest and loudest ovations and cheers are Bluecoats, Crown, and SCV. I don't even think it's questionable. Crown and Bloo and SCV are not just playing to the sheets, they are clearly fan darlings in a BIG BIG BIG way. Open your eyes and ears.

• Like 2