Cadets 2016

Tobias

Yeah... I'd like to see a modern interpretation of Rocky Point. Along with a narrative that tracks the glory of the amusement park, its violent demise, and ultimate resurrection as a tranquil wooded park by the sea (true story, btw). There's nothing creepier than an abandoned amusement park - it's like evil clowns! But in my heart I know it's not the right thing to move the group forward and continue to be competitively relevant.

No, no, no! Not another dark show. Cadets need something innovative, uplifting without Hopkin's liberal politics, something as energetic as Bluecoats these past years as was Cadets' velocity drill, but not a treatise on the woes of life where Hopkins and Sully fight the emotional battles they should be bringing to a therapist's couch. Crowds come to be entertained (2000, 2005, 2009, 2011) not preached to nor moved to suicidal depression.

If one does Rocky Point, do the Holiday perspective of Nelson as he remembers his childhood. Do all the clamcakes, fritters, fries, and shakes still sold in Warwick today as tribute to the happiness people found there. Rhode Island has enough problems with its politicians and struggles not to pile on with imitation Circus Schmirkus or somesuch. Leave that to the Devils.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

The 3 point gap from the top just confirms the judges feel the Cadets show design wise is not in that top tier. I agree Cadets have the ability to do very well in the music caption, continue to close some of the gaps in Visual and GE but the best case scenerio is a strong 4th place perhaps 1.3-1.5 down from bronze. Great momentum for next year considering where they started this year. Hoping that's what we see but regardless, Cadets 2016 have earned a lot of respect from many as to overcoming the odds that they have had over this difficult season. Congrats to the kids, shame on GH for allowing himself and the design team to take the entire winter off apparently. Hoping Jeff Saktig returns and Sully stays on.

Agreed.

We're all accustomed to seeing a different show in Indy from what started in Spring Training, but this year's transformation is immense. Mucho kudos to the members for rolling with the punches and still performing the snot out of an ever-evolving show.

... And Sully, please stay.

• Like 3

Agreed.

We're all accustomed to seeing a different show in Indy from what started in Spring Training, but this year's transformation is immense. Mucho kudos to the members for rolling with the punches and still performing the snot out of an ever-evolving show.

... And Sully, please stay.

Yup

And we will know tomorrow what kind of gap they see

Under 1.75 and they may have an outside shot but I'm expecting about 2.5 right near SCV one way or other

No, no, no! Not another dark show. Cadets need something innovative, uplifting without Hopkin's liberal politics, something as energetic as Bluecoats these past years as was Cadets' velocity drill, but not a treatise on the woes of life where Hopkins and Sully fight the emotional battles they should be bringing to a therapist's couch. Crowds come to be entertained (2000, 2005, 2009, 2011) not preached to nor moved to suicidal depression.

If one does Rocky Point, do the Holiday perspective of Nelson as he remembers his childhood. Do all the clamcakes, fritters, fries, and shakes still sold in Warwick today as tribute to the happiness people found there. Rhode Island has enough problems with its politicians and struggles not to pile on with imitation Circus Schmirkus or somesuch. Leave that to the Devils.

Agreed!!! A big bright uplifting Cadets with movement, intrigue musical passages, glorious cream straight legged flowing into and out of one another with an effect based guard (aka 2016) and a design with a loosely intertwined story that's not political. Oh my I just wet myself.😳
  • Like 1

The 3 point gap from the top just confirms the judges feel the Cadets show design wise is not in that top tier. I agree Cadets have the ability to do very well in the music caption, continue to close some of the gaps in Visual and GE but the best case scenerio is a strong 4th place perhaps 1.3-1.5 down from bronze. Great momentum for next year considering where they started this year. Hoping that's what we see but regardless, Cadets 2016 have earned a lot of respect from many as to overcoming the odds that they have had over this difficult season. Congrats to the kids, shame on GH for allowing himself and the design team to take the entire winter off apparently. Hoping Jeff Saktig returns and Sully stays on.

They took the winter off?

You know something, I just gotta call ########. That three other corps show designs are scoring better than Cadets 2016 does not equate to the design team taking the winter off. And the funniest part is so many people last year kept saying they wanted Cadets to take a different direction for 2016 as well as make changes to their visual staff since so many people saw that as their downfall last year. Now that they've taken that different direction and they're not scoring where everyone is accustomed to seeing them, it's seen as the design team as being lazy over the winter? Absolutely ridiculous implication.

Edited by JohnZ
Filter circumvention
  • Like 7

Agreed!!! A big bright uplifting Cadets with movement, intrigue musical passages, glorious cream straight legged flowing into and out of one another with an effect based guard (aka 2016) and a design with a loosely intertwined story that's not political. Oh my I just wet myself.😳

YES, PLEASE!!!

They took the winter off?

You know something, I just gotta call ########. That three other corps show designs are scoring better than Cadets 2016 does not equate to the design team taking the winter off. And the funniest part is so many people last year kept saying they wanted Cadets to take a different direction for 2016 as well as make changes to their visual staff since so many people saw that as their downfall last year. Now that they've taken that different direction and they're not scoring where everyone is accustomed to seeing them, it's seen as the design team as being lazy over the winter? Absolutely ridiculous implication.

Yea, I completely agree with you, 2k.

Given the staff and design changes, I think a few people (alumni and fans) probably had unrealistic expectations going into the season. Major changes in design direction take *years* to gel...and the fact that Cadets are where they are is a testament to the members and technical staff.

I like to look at 2016 as Year One of a rebuild...a rebuild that the Cadets are able to conduct on the fly.

I don't think for one second that the design team "was asleep all winter". If anything, the design team's vision and Hopkins' vision weren't aligned, and that's why they've been making the changes they've made (for good or ill).

Should the current design team be in place next year (who knows if they will or not), they should be able to craft a show that will propel the corps forward.

• Like 2

for one second that the design team "was asleep all winter". If anything, the design team's vision and Hopkins' vision weren't aligned, and that's why they've been making the changes they've made (for good or ill).....

Probably the case. My point was the kids and technical staff have been the stars this season. The group that put together the visual program that 50% had to be scrapped (twice), needs to work smarter next off season. Crown, Bloo and BD have made small tweaks all season and cleaned. How can we stack up against those odds? Thank God Cadets work like they do. Kudos for that and yes, their turn around has been miraculous. I don't recall seeing a WC corps rewrite what they rewrote at end of July (music, drill and guard work) and be this great two weeks later

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Agreed!!! A big bright uplifting Cadets with movement, intrigue musical passages, glorious cream straight legged flowing into and out of one another with an effect based guard (aka 2016) and a design with a loosely intertwined story that's not political. Oh my I just wet myself.

Here is the perfect vehicle (given the desire for 'big and bright' program, a vibe that is classic Cadets, plus tipping their hat to the recent uniform concerns):

Michael Torke - Color Music

(esp "Bright Blue Music", and "Purple", and "Green")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Nze-fVa3E

... and no story. Just concept. And great music!

Edited by hughesmr
  • Like 1