Cadets 2016

Tobias

Incidentally, what do college marching bands have to do with anything?

Well, for one thing, most marchers in College Marching Bands.. I believe... would not be in favor of changing their traditional school colors, if it was put to a vote there among the marchers. Ironically, those marchers who would not be in favor of changing their school's traditional colors ( that in many cases have been the school's colors for 80 or more years ) would probably be in favor of The Cadets changing THEIR traditional Colors if these marchers march in a School's Marching Band, and also march in DCI. So I do think it is relevant... especially when DCI does have so many marchers that come from the Scholastic Marching Band realm.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, for one thing, most marchers in College Marching Bands.. I believe... would not be in favor of changing their traditional school colors, if it was put to a vote there. Ironically, those who would not be in favor of changing their school colors ( that in many cases have been the school colors for 80 or more years ) would probably be in favor of The Cadets changing their Colors if they March in a School's Marching Band, and also march in DCI. So I do think it is relevant... especially when DCI does have so many marchers that come from the Scholastic Marching Band realm.

Most college marching band performances are representing that school in some way, shape or form. Their field show is less a competitive venture, and more of a means of school spirit. Their show themes and concepts are often times a hodge-podge of sorts, not really needing or requiring a cohesive visual idea. Furthermore, the school colors of a university apply to more than just the marching band, so.... yes, even though many current drum corps MMs participate in the college activity, I find the comparison between the two odd.

• Like 1

Most college marching band performances are representing that school in some way, shape or form. Their field show is less a competitive venture, and more of a means of school spirit.

The University( and High School ) Marching Bands that compete in their circuits on a football field with similar School Maarching Bands are no less supportive of retaining their traditional school colors than that school's Jazz Band musician participants that are not competing at all either. Moreover, It is odd to think that a Marching Band in judged competition on a football field with other similar competing Marching Bands is not thinking of " the competitive venture " of their exercise any less differently than any other group's competition you could think of.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't share your assessment at all that most of the Corps uniforms ( not the Guard ) is reflective of " so much of the show design " and its theme selected for that year. As a matter of fact, my assessment would be that the overwhelming vast majority of the Percussionists and Brass players uniforms in DCI Drum Corps have little to nothing at all to do with the Theme and / or the Show Design these Corps selected for themselves that season... and that if anything, most of these DCI Corps uniforms proper they have currently chosen are completely incongruous with the Themes these Corps have selected. So to this extent then, I do not see how the Cadets uniform selection would have any less incongruity than any other Drum Corps that has ever competed in DCI, in any DCI season, for that matter.

It's not the traditional uni but more a color issue. They feel the black is a powerful backdrop for guard uni and doesn't compete with the other things they'll be doing whereas: maroon, gold, cream, along with greys for statues may start to get busy

"Well, for one thing, most marchers in College Marching Bands.. I believe... would not be in favor of changing their traditional school colors, if it was put to a vote there among the marchers. Ironically, those marchers who would not be in favor of changing their school's traditional colors ( that in many cases have been the school's colors for 80 or more years ) would probably be in favor of The Cadets changing THEIR traditional Colors if these marchers march in a School's Marching Band, and also march in DCI. So I do think it is relevant... especially when DCI does have so many marchers that come from the Scholastic Marching Band realm."

Supposition, unless there is a study of which I'm unaware.

"Well, for one thing, most marchers in College Marching Bands.. I believe... would not be in favor of changing their traditional school colors, if it was put to a vote there among the marchers. Ironically, those marchers who would not be in favor of changing their school's traditional colors ( that in many cases have been the school's colors for 80 or more years ) would probably be in favor of The Cadets changing THEIR traditional Colors if these marchers march in a School's Marching Band, and also march in DCI. So I do think it is relevant... especially when DCI does have so many marchers that come from the Scholastic Marching Band realm."

The Cadets did vote for the the change. GH-1.

Done.

• Like 2

As the corps activity evolves in the next 5 or so years, this uni thing will be a fun topic to look back upon. Until then, it will only get uglier. I predict that we will have more units with costume dress (think WGI) than traditional unis in 5 or 6 years.

I also predict that this will be a hot topic outside of just the Cadet thread before the end of 2016.

As the corps activity evolves in the next 5 or so years, this uni thing will be a fun topic to look back upon. Until then, it will only get uglier. I predict that we will have more units with costume dress (think WGI) than traditional unis in 5 or 6 years.

I also predict that this will be a hot topic outside of just the Cadet thread before the end of 2016.

It's been happening for awhile. Cadets 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2015. Each other theses years slight to pretty dramatic uniform changes for Cadets. Crown changed from the cream color 13-15 each year. BD has tweaked their uni. Not sure why it's such a hot topic

Well, I did state ..." I believe "..... here in my remarks.. and even isolated it for emphasis( as you can readily see ). I did not state " it is a fact". So yes, it is merely my asssessment opinion of what would occur.

So what is your opinion on this ? For example If we polled the Virginia Tech Marching Band marchers today, do you believe the majority in this Marching Band would support a proposal before them to change the school colors ? For that matter, can you think of any University Marching Band in the Country that competes on a football field with others, that if the MM's could vote, would support a proposal to change their school colors ? I don't think a proposal to change the colors of the uniforms of the Marching Band would have much approval anywhere in the Country. And yes, I do think that some that would be opposed to changing the colors of their School's Marching Band, that march in DCI, would, in a bit of irony, probably be supportive of the Cadets change of Colors... thats not so much a supposition, as it is my assessment observation. Heck. I 'll go one step further though. I'll bet if we allowed the current campers that tried out for The Cadets this off season to vote by secret ballot for whether or not to keep The Cadets 80+ years of The Cadets Corps colors, or change the colors to something else, that the vote would be to keep their 80+ years of the traditional Cadets Corps colors. And yes, thats also my best guess on what the vote would be by secret ballot of even The Cadets MM's themselves on this.

Edited by BRASSO