Cadets 2016

Tobias

I dig the Maroon and Gold as much as anyone, but let's be real.... In today's age of drum corps where so much of the design is reflected (and even portrayed) by what the corps proper is wearing, the traditional Cadets uniform is extremely limiting.

I don't share your assessment at all that most of the Corps uniforms ( not the Guard ) is reflective of " so much of the show design " and its theme selected for that year. As a matter of fact, my assessment would be that the overwhelming vast majority of the Percussionists and Brass players uniforms in DCI Drum Corps have little to nothing at all to do with the Theme and / or the Show Design these Corps selected for themselves that season... and that if anything, most of these DCI Corps uniforms proper they have currently chosen are completely incongruous with the Themes these Corps have selected. So to this extent then, I do not see how the Cadets uniform selection would have any less incongruity than any other Drum Corps that has ever competed in DCI, in any DCI season, for that matter.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't share your assessment at all that most of the Corps uniforms ( not the Guard ) is reflective of " so much of the show design " and its theme selected for that year. As a matter of fact, my assessment would be that the overwhelming vast majority of the Percussionists and Brass players uniforms in DCI Drum Corps have little to nothing at all with the Show Design... and that if anything, most of the uniforms proper are completely incongruous with the theme these Corps have selected that season. So to this extent, I do not see how the Cadets colors selected with their Cadet style uniform would have any less incongruity than any other Drum Corps that has ever competed in DCI, in any DCI season.

I don't disagree with the basic of that, but IMO it is starting to change, in baby -steps, as corps get away from the more old style military looking unis, a la Crown and BD. Cadets are keeping the Eisenhower jacket, but being black with a stone-printed cross sash will be another of those baby-steps along to way to true costuming that I think will continue, instead of only costuming the guard to highlight the show.

• Like 1

John Mackey when sharing the Wine-Dark Sea video yesterday:

Forgive me, but... holy ####, The Cadets. I LOL'd at the awesomeness of this - and they're just getting started.
  • Like 1

I don't share your assessment at all that most of the Corps uniforms ( not the Guard ) is reflective of " so much of the show design " and its theme selected for that year. As a matter of fact, my assessment would be that the overwhelming vast majority of the Percussionists and Brass players uniforms in DCI Drum Corps have little to nothing at all with the Show Design... and that if anything, most of the uniforms proper are completely incongruous with the theme these Corps have selected that season. So to this extent, I do not see how the Cadets colors selected with their Cadet style uniform would have any less incongruity than any other Drum Corps that has ever competed in DCI, in any DCI season.

Please forgive my poor assessment then. Obviously it's a design choice for each corps. BD has been tweaking their uniform to fit their theme for the past couple of years. Crown has been doing it almost religiously for going on a decade now. So barely even a fraction of corps do this. My apologies.

Cadets should definitely always stick with Maroon and Gold and never be allowed to change.

I don't disagree with the basic of that, but IMO it is starting to change, in baby -steps, as corps get away from the more old style military looking unis, a la Crown and BD. Cadets are keeping the Eisenhower jacket, but being black with a stone-printed cross sash will be another of those baby-steps along to way to true costuming that I think will continue, instead of only costuming the guard to highlight the show.

Perhaps... but If Corps want their costumes to reflect the show themes, then it will require completely new costume changes for each season, each Corps... and NOT just for the Guard. Economically, this does not seem possible for these Corps however, lets face it. So the Cadets style uniform that it has had for over 80 yrears is no less incongruous than all the other uniforms in my opinion. You mentioned BD here..., nobody at " Club Voltaire " wore the same costuming, nor did they do ANYTHING there with collective discipline, precision, execution, marching, performing, etc... so it wasn't just the duds that BD chose that made it all work. It was our poetic license and our broad imaginations that we had to utilize to have it make any sense, as BD's uniforms and headgear that the Corps proper all wore that season for their Theme made no more literal sense than if they wore a Cadet Style uniform and headgear or a Pioneer, Crown's or Bluecoats, etc uniform and headgear for it.

Edited by BRASSO

Perhaps... but If Corps want their costumes to reflect the show themes, then it will require completely new costume changes for each season, each Corps. Economically, this does not seem possible for these Corps. So the Cadets style uniform tgat it has had for over 80 yrears is no less incongruous than all the other uniforms in my opinion. You mentioned BD here..., nobody at " Club Voltaire " wore the same costuming, nor did they do ANYTHING there with collective discipline, precision, execution, marching, performing, etc... so it wasn't just the duds that BD chose that made it all work. It was the poetic justice and imagination we had to utilize to have it make sense, as BD's uniforms that they all wore that season made no no more literal sense than if they wore a Cadet Style uniform for it.

Does imagery have to be literal to enhance context?

Perhaps... but If Corps want their costumes to reflect the show themes, then it will require completely new costume changes for each season, each Corps. Economically, this does not seem possible for these Corps. So the Cadets style uniform tgat it has had for over 80 yrears is no less incongruous than all the other uniforms in my opinion. You mentioned BD here..., nobody at " Club Voltaire " wore the same costuming, nor did they do ANYTHING there with collective discipline, precision, execution, marching, performing, etc... so it wasn't just the duds that BD chose that made it all work. It was the poetic justice and imagination we had to utilize to have it make sense, as BD's uniforms that they all wore that season made no no more literal sense than if they wore a Cadet Style uniform for it.

Yes, it would mean new costumes every year, which would have to be far less expensive to produce than the 'regular' uniforms of today, for sure. More along the lines of guard costumes in construction.

As to the BD comment...yes...it is baby steps...getting away from the military-look is one small change along the way. Felliniesque had their drums finished to look like film reels, and their visual design incorporated a lot of non-marching performance-style demands on the performers. Again...baby-steps along the way, IMO.

George actually mentioned it yesterday, as a matter of fact. He said the staff has seen the changes in the visual designs that are successful, and they know they need to make some changes in how they create their shows to keep up, all while staying true to their own visions.

Does imagery have to be literal to enhance context?

Its depends upon one's opinion, I would think.

When Crown did " Rach Star ", was their " modern " costuming that year, in synch with the Theme ? I suppose it depends upon how much broad imagination we are able bring to this assessment. I believe we need LOTS of imagination to believe that the vast majority of the Corps uniforms currently in DCI " reflect the theme " chosen that season. The fact that most Corps uniforms... whatever its style... are out of sync ( imo ) with most Corps themes has never been much of a problem in DCI since DCI began. I think perhaps some small numbers of people are looking for a problem with a particular style of Corps uniform, that frankly does not exist, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

So to this extent then, I do not see how the Cadets uniform selection would have any less incongruity than any other Drum Corps that has ever competed in DCI, in any DCI season, for that matter.

Other than Star in the early 90's.