Cadets 2016

Tobias

I will be there the evening of June 4, leaving the morning of June 5 (need to pick up my son to bring him back for high school final exams). He was not at the wine tasting - I think that group was mainly a bunch of MM who went to Allentown for a week to do fund-raising and other admin. work before tour (and get paid for it).

I know he's in HS and obviously the MMs at the event were not drinking but was wondering if he was among the group. Very intelligent respectful wonderful kids they were.

I'm a complete percussive noob....

What's the purpose of not hitting the drum.

It's the alternating pattern drum to drum. You'll see some are not hitting the head while others in the line are hitting the head. The stroke is heard in the stands (and by the field judge) but the visual is misleading - only the field judge knows what's happening...

The point is that you can't tell the difference. Even with all those "ghosted" strokes the musicality never falters - the drum parts make perfect sense re: the horn book. It's flash in the most intimate way.

And the timing...to the execution judge it's nearly impossible to hear the difference but you can SEE the ghosted strokes even as you're hearing the perfect phrasing of the musicality.

Honest to God, it's one of the most difficult things to do well, but this line does it like it's no big deal. A clear sign of amazing maturity, clarity, and musicality of the line.

If Jeff Prosperie is judging this year, I guarantee that he'll spot what's going on and award the much-deserved points to execution scores.

Incredible talent in this line...

• Like 3

I played bass 1 for 3 years and bass 2 for 3 years, I'd play 2 any day. It is SO much fun and harder from a timing standpoint. You either get good at subdivision and counting or you will be miserable.

Also spent a year on snare and I kinda hated it and wanted to go back to bass the whole time. Was good for my hands, but bass was my baby.

I've always been amazed at how well bass drummers subdivide.

• Like 3

I know I keep harping about how talented this percussion line is - and they ARE! _ but not enough credit can be given to Colin McNut and his AMAZING writing of this book.

I swear - and I don't know him at all - but I swear he had to be on some amazing drugs to write this book and believe he was writing over their heads, only to find out that they mashed it up like it was a practice session.

I think this line has challenged Colin like he's never been challenged before. I imagine the line saying "Bring it on, Dude, we'll crush whatever you write for us!"

And they do.

Stunning.

• Like 2

It's the alternating pattern drum to drum. You'll see some are not hitting the head while others in the line are hitting the head. The stroke is heard in the stands (and by the field judge) but the visual is misleading - only the field judge knows what's happening...

The point is that you can't tell the difference. Even with all those "ghosted" strokes the musicality never falters - the drum parts make perfect sense re: the horn book. It's flash in the most intimate way.

And the timing...to the execution judge it's nearly impossible to hear the difference but you can SEE the ghosted strokes even as you're hearing the perfect phrasing of the musicality.

Honest to God, it's one of the most difficult things to do well, but this line does it like it's no big deal. A clear sign of amazing maturity, clarity, and musicality of the line.

If Jeff Prosperie is judging this year, I guarantee that he'll spot what's going on and award the much-deserved points to execution scores.

Incredible talent in this line...

Well he didn't last season 😏

I know I keep harping about how talented this percussion line is - and they ARE! _ but not enough credit can be given to Colin McNut and his AMAZING writing of this book.

I swear - and I don't know him at all - but I swear he had to be on some amazing drugs to write this book and believe he was writing over their heads, only to find out that they mashed it up like it was a practice session.

I think this line has challenged Colin like he's never been challenged before. I imagine the line saying "Bring it on, Dude, we'll crush whatever you write for us!"

And they do.

Stunning.

Colin actually has a degree in Latin or something odd. George Dixon knows. Very cool guy. (Colin). And George too I'm sure.

Their finals night run was relatively loose to what they had done the previous two IMO.

I guess JP agreed..

I guess JP agreed..

Like I've stated on here many times before, if there are anyone's numbers I trust they are his. If he thought they were 3rd on the field, they were probably 3rd on the field. In that top 4 any minor slip or loose roll can drop you a place.

Edited by DrumManTx

"Senior Corps". Boy, are you old!

Hey... I resemble that remark. LOL

Heck... the "senior corps" where I marched, BITD, was referred to as "kids and girls" by some of our competitors. We did have our share of late teens (myself included) and early 20-somethings blending in with the older vets.

We kids and girls did just fine. Being announced in first place on DCA championship night a few times was quite a thrill for us youngsters, up past our bedtimes. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1