Cadets 2016

Tobias

Come on, man that's not fair. I love most Cadets shows, including last year. It just pains me to see what used to be the corps that pushed become the corps that's being pulled along.

I feel your pain, but I also feel that a lot of what they have done over the past decade HAS directed the activity... They just weren't always successful in debuting it.

Look, there's no denying that BD is the standard bearer for the activity right now. But the activity has grown to be more complex than it was in the 80s when the Cadets were pushing envelopes. Drill, staging, arrangements, design.... all these things have started to come to a head over the past few years and the champion is just the one who does them all the best.

Let's face it.... DCI corps are taking more cues from WGI than vice versa nowadays. The innovation isn't really being generated in this activity any longer. It's just being incorporated.

Well... seeing this on multicam is significantly different from the views I've gotten from Hop... A little in shock

All I can say is that this is THE most bizarre drum corps show I have ever seen, and that's saying something considering some of the stuff BD's put out. Wow.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 5

Drill, staging, arrangements, design.... all these things have started to come to a head over the past few years and the champion is just the one who does them all the best.

I mostly agree with this. The champions are the corps with the best design in most years, meaning that the title is won in January. I feel like the Cadets guys are in, like, January 2010.

I don't really think much needs to change. Nothing major that is... But I've seen it many times now, including live a few times.

This show is light years ahead of the last few years, in person it is crazy impressive. Can't wait till you get to hear it live and what you think then

I also agree with you (wrong thread, but...) that the Cavaliers are really going to be strong this year. Very excited about that!

I'll be taking my nephew with me to see it live in Clifton. Can't wait to see it live.

Well... seeing this on multicam is significantly different from the views I've gotten from Hop... A little in shock

All I can say is that this is THE most bizarre drum corps show I have ever seen, and that's saying something considering some of the stuff BD's put out. Wow.

I need to figure out how to put up that Cappybara Meme I like so much.

• Like 1

Agreed. I think superficially its statues coming to life and then retreating but deeper I think the statues represent us and our fears and limitations and how we retreat to our comfort zones. Not sure but there are some character things going on with the Adonis, the soloist, the two podiums, safety zones etc. There's a bit more than meets the eye.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Just an early season observation, that's all.

Come on, man that's not fair. I love most Cadets shows, including last year. It just pains me to see what used to be the corps that pushed become the corps that's being pulled along.

But you've been using that line when critiquing them for some time. I saw a very great and modernized Cadet corps and frankly a BD show that's really a formula they've been using for years now so not sure who's really innovating in your view? Maybe Bloo but hand t seen them.

I mostly agree with this. The champions are the corps with the best design in most years, meaning that the title is won in January. I feel like the Cadets guys are in, like, January 2010.

Interesting considering the visual staff is new..
  • Like 1

But you've been using that line when critiquing them for some time. I saw a very great and modernized Cadet corps and frankly a BD show that's really a formula they've been using for years now so not sure who's really innovating in your view? Maybe Bloo but hand t seen them.

I'm Innovating.

I don't really know who is innovating, but it is jarring to see the Cadets not. BD's formula is getting stale for sure, but its still the state of the art.

Interesting considering the visual staff is new..

Yes, the instructional staff is new.

I actually think they are doing a nice fusion between some more traditional( some unmistakable great drill)and newer drum corps. For that fact this show was enjoyable to watch, it could actually be a bit more out there, but it is not. Waiting to be sold on the black uniforms, despite being appropriate for the theme.

Edited by Forevergreen
  • Like 1