Cadets 2016

Tobias

91/92/93/94 were interesting years - you had the "Field visual" judges sometimes taking very old school approaches to their scoring - almost tick like, while the GE Visual and Ensemble visual judges were much more modern in their approach - rewarding design and/or difficulty. Even the names of the judges assigned in some of those captions are still judging today. George O for example was a visual judge for Star 91.

Star 91 had some drill that "never quite got there" but it was also remarkably organic and difficult. Fluid flex drill... Very Zingali. Musically the corps was a stunner. I personally thought the scores were most correct at Quarterfinals - the last two nights the panel was putting Regiment & Scouts ahead in captions and subcaptions and the anti-Star boo crowd was going bonkers over Cavaliers and their 2000 flags (that year) - it ending up closer than what was on the field IMO

Exactly, there were such discrepancy's between the field and ensemble visual marks those years. Crazy.

I agree with you. Star should have won by more, and even with the forms that "never quite got there" I do not understand how Regiment beat them in visual overall. Star had hands down the best and most difficult drill that season. And, it wasn't difficult for the sake of difficulty. The visual program was so well coordinated with the music. That coupled with the best and most difficult musical book that season. When you listen to the recording, they were always marching at the speed they were playing. It really was remarkable.

The boobirds always upset me. I get that '91 and '93 Star weren't for everyone, but they were so incredible. '90 turned me into a Star homer, and I'm still over the moon about their '90 - '93 shows.

Those were great years. It was fun seeing Cadets show evolve over the course of the season - very difficult show too. 1992 was fun watching the Cadets majorly surge in the final week of the season. Honestly, if Star or Cadets had won in '92, you wouldn't see me crying foul. Such a great year at the top. Then 1993 was even better. I wish that had been DCI's first tie. I was heartbroken that Star lost and happy that the Cadets won all in the same. Definitely the far and above best shows that season.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

WONDERFUL ASIDE:

https://www.collegemarching.com/content/dci-at-the-olympics-yep

Representing really well. WOW! moment: at the very end ... when this year's Bluecoats' "ramps" are rolled out on the field. Prescient.

• Like 3

Exactly, there were such discrepancy's between the field and ensemble visual marks those years. Crazy.

I agree with you. Star should have won by more, and even with the forms that "never quite got there" I do not understand how Regiment beat them in visual overall. Star had hands down the best and most difficult drill that season. And, it wasn't difficult for the sake of difficulty. The visual program was so well coordinated with the music. That coupled with the best and most difficult musical book that season. When you listen to the recording, they were always marching at the speed they were playing. It really was remarkable.

The boobirds always upset me. I get that '91 and '93 Star weren't for everyone, but they were so incredible. '90 turned me into a Star homer, and I'm still over the moon about their '90 - '93 shows.

Those were great years. It was fun seeing Cadets show evolve over the course of the season - very difficult show too. 1992 was fun watching the Cadets majorly surge in the final week of the season. Honestly, if Star or Cadets had won in '92, you wouldn't see me crying foul. Such a great year at the top. Then 1993 was even better. I wish that had been DCI's first tie. I was heartbroken that Star lost and happy that the Cadets won all in the same. Definitely the far and above best shows that season.

100%

I "LOVED" Cadets 92. And Star/Cadets 93. And Star 1990 was fantastic. Just a great stretch of great corps.

• Like 1

WONDERFUL ASIDE:

https://www.collegemarching.com/content/dci-at-the-olympics-yep

Representing really well. WOW! moment: at the very end ... when this year's Bluecoats' "ramps" are rolled out on the field. Prescient.

Thanks man. A great moment in Cadets lore and so appropriate tonight with the Opening Ceremonies happening

I'll never forget them marching that with NO yard lines. And learning all the extra material etc. And the travel time involved up and down from ATL with DCI East etc going on. Then back to finals. May have cost them #11 - but so so so worth it

100%

I "LOVED" Cadets 92. And Star/Cadets 93. And Star 1990 was fantastic. Just a great stretch of great corps.

Ditto, ditto AND ditto.

• Like 1

100%

That's why I love the Cadets so much last year, because they reminded me of these great shows. It's equally impressive as Star '91 that the Cadets won brass last year marching that insane drill. Too bad they weren't, as a whole, IMO, rewarded for that.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

Does that mean I have to agree with your assessments? I personally don't think so. I acknowledge you have more experience than I do (not sure why you need an explicit recognition of that but here you go), but I can choose to stick to my opinions. That doesn't mean disrespect.

Btw my "okay" was more of a "agree to disagree," sorry if it came off as anything else.

okay.

:tounge2:

• Like 1

I watched streams of Allentown tonight. One thing that stood out to me was pacing.

Even though a ton of people have praised the quality of their music program, I think it is far behind BD and Bluecoats, as two examples, in terms of constantly serving up interesting, varied, intense, beautiful and beautiful moments. Lots of moments are there with Cadets, but not all are effective and there are long stretches between them.

• Like 2

I watched streams of Allentown tonight. One thing that stood out to me was pacing.

Even though a ton of people have praised the quality of their music program, I think it is far behind BD and Bluecoats, as two examples, in terms of constantly serving up interesting, varied, intense, beautiful and beautiful moments. Lots of moments are there with Cadets, but not all are effective and there are long stretches between them.

Same thing goes for the vis, too.

I still stand by the fact that I think the colorguard staging is disjointed for a second year in a row, and that it is affecting their GE score again. I enjoy the music, but the "parts" of the show just do not add up to make a cohesive "whole". Again, no amount of cleaning will make up for that.