The Cavaliers' Recent Fall in the Standings

BD's on field success was never tied.... " to Bingo ". Bingo was never tied Drum Corps either. Bingo was a method by which the Blue Devils Drum Corps successfully raised money for their Organization... no more. no less.

And yet you said "Fundraising success for example, is directly tied to winning."

That implies that more winning = more people giving money, and thaty IS often the case. That was NOT, however, the case with BD's bingo operations, especially when they were THE ONLY BINGO GAME IN THE COUNTY. Did you miss that part?? When you're the only game in town and run games 7 days a week, and are efficient in running said games, you're going to have more income...period.

You DIO remember that I'm a BD alum, yes?? I lived out of the attic in the hall for 3 months...I saw who came in and played every night...the percentage of BD people playing was very very small...the VAST majority were simply people who loved bingo and had no clue or interest in what the org did.

Fund raising success allows you to do a lot with the money....but BD's competitive successes are not why they made so much bingo money.

And yet you said "Fundraising success for example, is directly tied to winning."

That implies that more winning = more people giving money, and thaty IS often the case. That was NOT, however, the case with BD's bingo operations, especially when they were THE ONLY BINGO GAME IN THE COUNTY. Did you miss that part??

No. I did not " miss that part ", ie that BD made lots of money to run their operations off of "bingo". Nor that they pulled in a lot of dough via bingo.. nor that you marched BD around 30 years ago.

My guess, you apparently still believe however that my remarks regarding BD winning so many titles was, by comparison, inconsequential to "bingo" in BD's ability to organizationally a) attract and retain lots of quality sponsors B) attract and retain lots of top staff c) attract the best mm talent in the country, each and every year d) enhance by light years the Blue Devils brand name ( that has capital value ) e) develop secondary and tertiary levels of income producing revenues beyond " bingo " f) develop System Blue revenue streams G) enhance significantly their merchandise revenue streams h) develop income streams from worldwide performances I) develop income producing streams from strategic multi level partnerships, seminars with schools & universities.... and on and on..

It appears you likewise have unfortunately convinced yourself that in the early 70's, at the time DCI was founded, that BD was significantly more capitalized than were Corps like the Cavaliers, Blue Stars ( co sponsored via banking interests at the time ), Santa Clara Vanguard, Troopers and all others. That fact is however ( as pointed out above ) none of these Corps were at a severe disadvantaged fund raising position compared to BD back then. BD today however is far stronger organizationally and better capitalized than all the other DCI Corps ( including the subject of this thread.. the modern day Cavaliers ). And winning repetitively each and every year has positioned BD to be so... and FAR more than their " bingo " operation provided them to do so since their " bingo " was their #1 go to source of fundraising as far back as the formation days of DCI itself in 1972, and BD's entry into DCI in 1973.

Edited by BRASSO

That implies that more winning = more people giving money, and thaty IS often the case. That was NOT, however, the case with BD's bingo operations, especially when they were THE ONLY BINGO GAME IN THE COUNTY. Did you miss that part?? When you're the only game in town and run games 7 days a week, and are efficient in running said games, you're going to have more income...period.

You DIO remember that I'm a BD alum, yes?? I lived out of the attic in the hall for 3 months...I saw who came in and played every night...the percentage of BD people playing was very very small...the VAST majority were simply people who loved bingo and had no clue or interest in what the org did.

Fund raising success allows you to do a lot with the money....but BD's competitive successes are not why they made so much bingo money.

I distinctly remember as far back as 78 or 79 on tour with another corps and watching how well BD was , eating, traveling, resting, etc etc and the budget from what we could see. They certainly at very least appeared to have more going for them from a finance situation than most of us at the time. I remember hearing some real creative fundraisers they had even back then to do what they were able to do.

As I said , BD has won much more than DCI championships over the years. One can only say BRAVO to BD for looking at the big picture, the future, longevity, many years ago to sustain and become what they have today as an organization .

There are a few other corps out there who get this also and have changed things to become who they are from an organization standpoint exploring what they need to do to survive. Cadets are 1 for sure who at the brink of extinction turned it completely around. Creativity is not just whats on the field but off as well.

HMMMM are we still in the Cavies thread?..lol or talking about their funds?..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I like the Cavies but the top 4-5 corps are just so freaking solid. They will once in a while stumble and maybe you'll see another corps move up but tough to break into now more so than everX

I aged out with the Cavaliers last year. The brass staff were consistently telling us that we were miles better than previous years. I can't understand how that horn line got 10th place with such a difficult brass book in an extremely physical show. I thought we played it very well considering its difficulty and the recordings agree with me.

Obviously I'm biased, but it just doesn't make sense to me. In Chester, PA, the night before Allentown, we beat Phantom with 20 holes. Then the following night in Allentown with the full corps on the field and with what many of us (and our staff) considered our best show to date, our brass score dropped .8(!!) and Phantom beat us by 2 points. That's a crazy variation. And after that huge drop, our scores never recovered.

I understand that our show design was a major issue. It was difficulty without effectiveness. But our brass book blew Phantom's and Madison's away. And BK's for that matter. I don't understand how their "content" scores could possibly have been higher than ours.

I still have high hopes for 2016. Koter is gone, McGrath is VERY good (and Michael Gaines writes for his high school hint hint), Saucedo and others from the "glory days" are returning...it looks very promising.

And when did this thread become a BD thread?

Edited by Baquan

when did this thread become a BD thread?

Well, so far, over 10 Corps have been mentioned on this thread in one degree or another, but if you are looking for a specific date and time re. BD's more in depth comparison mention on here, it would be Oct.16th, 3:38 pm.. But why are you interested in this BD question however ? Especially, since you have seemingly correctly brought the discussion back to the Cavaliers ( until your final question in your remarks for us. )

Edited by BRASSO

Well, so far, over 10 Corps have been mentioned on this thread in one degree or another, but if you are looking for a specific date and time re. BD's more in depth comparison mention on here, it would be Oct.16th, 3:38 pm.. But why are you interested in this BD question however ? Especially, since you have seemingly correctly brought the discussion back to the Cavaliers ( until your final question in your remarks for us. )

I finished reading through the thread after posting and it seemed more people were talking about BD than the Cavaliers in this thread about the Cavaliers. Oh well. Back on topic, eh?

I still have high hopes for 2016. Koter is gone, McGrath is VERY good (and Michael Gaines writes for his high school hint hint), Saucedo and others from the "glory days" are returning...it looks very promising.

Those "glory days" had an advantage over other corps...original composition. I believe it helped to be more creative and inventive in both the music and the visual.

I know first hand how Saucedo's writing (along with Mike McIntosh's) could be beneficial as it helped move us (Carmel HS) from hoping to make BOA finals to a contender for the title in just 3 years. Gaines came in to write drill the 2nd year too.

While hearing/seeing interpretations of charts can be exciting, I'd love to see more corps explore original content especially with licensing issues arising.

Gloria be.. Its a mad world! There is a great divide on what the Cavaliers should do. Some are engaged in some sort of spin cycle with this. The Cavaliers are not extraordinary right now, and we all get that. But they do deserve more than just 15 minutes of fame, imo. I believe they have the basic frameworks in place to get back to medaling. Personally, I'd like to see them adopt some new rituals, ie some new traditions for a new era now . Even if they have to look to the four corners of the world to try and find it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Gloria be.. Its a mad world! There is a great divide on what the Cavaliers should do. Some are engaged in some sort of spin cycle with this. The Cavaliers are not extraordinary right now, and we all get that. But they do deserve more than just 15 minutes of fame, imo. I believe they have the basic frameworks in place to get back to medaling. Personally, I'd like to see them adopt some new rituals, ie some new traditions for a new era now . Even if they have to look to the four corners of the world to try and find it.

I love the reference to 10',11,12,09',03,02,01. 😃

I didn't like 09' 😯