The Cavaliers' Recent Fall in the Standings

I love the reference to 10',11,12,09',03,02,01.

I didn't like 09'

I liked 007 better than 09 too, (it offered more than the overall power of 10 , for example). But thats probably just me.

Edited by BRASSO

Gloria be.. Its a mad world! There is a great divide on what the Cavaliers should do. Some are engaged in some sort of spin cycle with this. The Cavaliers are not extraordinary right now, and we all get that. But they do deserve more than just 15 minutes of fame, imo. I believe they have the basic frameworks in place to get back to medaling. Personally, I'd like to see them adopt some new rituals, ie some new traditions for a new era now . Even if they have to look to the four corners of the world to try and find it.

Sure wish the Cavies would be more open about this - darn secret society folks!

Gloria be.. Its a mad world! There is a great divide on what the Cavaliers should do. Some are engaged in some sort of spin cycle with this. The Cavaliers are not extraordinary right now, and we all get that. But they do deserve more than just 15 minutes of fame, imo. I believe they have the basic frameworks in place to get back to medaling. Personally, I'd like to see them adopt some new rituals, ie some new traditions for a new era now . Even if they have to look to the four corners of the world to try and find it.

Y'know....you and I never agree on anything....but I have to give you props....THAT was nicely done!

I love the reference to 10',11,12,09',03,02,01.

I didn't like 09'

,,,and '89, '90, and probably others....

You are a total pun machine.

I aged out with the Cavaliers last year. The brass staff were consistently telling us that we were miles better than previous years. I can't understand how that horn line got 10th place with such a difficult brass book in an extremely physical show. I thought we played it very well considering its difficulty and the recordings agree with me.

Obviously I'm biased, but it just doesn't make sense to me. In Chester, PA, the night before Allentown, we beat Phantom with 20 holes. Then the following night in Allentown with the full corps on the field and with what many of us (and our staff) considered our best show to date, our brass score dropped .8(!!) and Phantom beat us by 2 points. That's a crazy variation. And after that huge drop, our scores never recovered.

I understand that our show design was a major issue. It was difficulty without effectiveness. But our brass book blew Phantom's and Madison's away. And BK's for that matter. I don't understand how their "content" scores could possibly have been higher than ours.

I still have high hopes for 2016. Koter is gone, McGrath is VERY good (and Michael Gaines writes for his high school hint hint), Saucedo and others from the "glory days" are returning...it looks very promising.

And when did this thread become a BD thread?

The judging community leaves much to be desired. Agree with what you said. There's so much inconsistency in judging because it's too subjective. One guy has someone up and the next guy doesn't like anything that corps does. It's a very small community. Judges in the off season work at the same high school as the brass staff of corps X and judge Y marched in corps A with the guard caption head of corps B so always gives them favorable scores. No conspiracy just facts. Bottom line, kids go out and do their best and that's the reward. Think how the Cadets felt. Talk about a group getting a major dump by the judges.

You are a total pun machine.

Game on!

• Like 2

If you said this in rehearsal people would be losing their minds! Bravo!

The judging community leaves much to be desired. Agree with what you said. There's so much inconsistency in judging because it's too subjective. One guy has someone up and the next guy doesn't like anything that corps does. It's a very small community. Judges in the off season work at the same high school as the brass staff of corps X and judge Y marched in corps A with the guard caption head of corps B so always gives them favorable scores. No conspiracy just facts. Bottom line, kids go out and do their best and that's the reward. Think how the Cadets felt. Talk about a group getting a major dump by the judges.

I don't agree with this. I think judges do a very good job of ranking and rating corps in their individual captions - and the total results usually end up pretty much where they should. I thin Cavaliers finished exactly where they should have last year (and I'm a Cavies Alumi) and I think Cadets finished where they should have last year too.

Later,

Mike