Troopers 2016

Any other details from Camp 2? Brass seems like they are on a big trajectory up. If you remember, Bluecoats made a jump as a corps when their percussion started leapfrogging others. I can see Troop capitalize on their brass improvement similarly. Can Troop's guard and/or percussion make similar gains? I think Troop percussion is right there to make a jump.

Camp No. 2 in the books. Heard there was lots of visual time, and a whole lotta notes coming from the horn line.

As has been observed elsewhere, Camp 2 had an abundance of drummers. Snares will have a new center, tenors will be anchored by a 4-year vet, while the front ensemble has the same, 3-year, set of hands in the middle, flanked by vets, and multi-year vets holding down the back line. As usual, they'll all be playing a Rennick book. Caption head Lauren Teel has a top-notch staff to work with.

Based on what I've heard so far, Robert Smith apparently wants Troop's 2016 horn line to give the battery a run for its money for the number of notes played in the show. Early post-2015 indications were that 14 of last year's 16 mellos had indicated plans to audition for 2016, though those numbers may have changed and I don't know about other segments of the line. I don't have much info, and even less expertise, to judge the quality of the brass candidates so far. My only clue has been the up-thumbs from DVD and his staff. They're spitting nails and it's only December.

A lot of time spent on visual at Camp 2, which I guess isn't surprising given the emphasis the corps placed on visual staff following the 2015 season. It makes sense that the braintrust wants to come out of the gates in 2016 with stronger visual fundamentals under the members' feet, and is investing time in that objective now.

I had expected to hear some news, perhaps about the show, coming out of the December camp, but all is quiet so far. IIRC, Troopers announced their 2015 show title in January, maybe February, so perhaps they'll do the same this time around. As with other corps, January is typically the biggest camp of the off-season, so my new guess is that January will be the moment for the curtain-raising.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

Just another little indication that Troop is turning it up to 11 for 2016: Camps are going 2 hours longer on Sundays than in previous years.

It's always been my hypothesis that, whatever a particular corps' definition of "winning" is -- the championship, a step up in placement, better retention -- that this is the time of year when the winning happens. It's not August. It's January. It's March. That's when the differences are made.

Good to see Troopers trying to raise their game at this time of year.

Just another little indication that Troop is turning it up to 11 for 2016: Camps are going 2 hours longer on Sundays than in previous years.

I see what you did there! :laugh:

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

Now appearing on the Troopers' Facebook wall:

hero.jpg?raw=1

An abstract Troopers show? That will be interesting.

Then again, it could be about Greek food. (Wait, that's spelled gyro, not hero...)

no, a sandwich hero (as one is considered a hero for finishing it all) is also known in some places, such as Groton, Ct., as a submarine due to the shape of the roll or in other places, like Philadelphia, as a "hoagie" for reasons unknown most anywhere else and certainly in Casper, Wyoming.