Troopers 2016

You're limiting the imagination. Those suits could well have built in individual climate control and waste extraction systems.

Sez you sitting in your air conditioned den watching the Fan Network or whatever in your climate control, no more than six steps to the refrig, bathroom always at the ready.

Now imagine you're a MM trying to unlock that whole contraption just to do #1, let alone being a female MM or having to do #2 between the bus and the gate.

Sure you pseudo-designers have your grand ideas and fantasies but let's live in the real world of Texas temps for contests, Swamp Tour, and 90 days from ST to Finals.

Then again, this may be the only protection from the native insects that is helpful during Swamp Tour in the bayous...

But really if Cesario and Stan Berry had to wear their own creatopms for at least a week in the 100+ temps Texas and parts have for DCI, everyone's uni would more resemble VK rather than the Stormtroopers (dibs already belonging to Regt.'s snareline.)

Wow, that's quite a reaction for something that I took as an off-hand comment.

Sez you sitting in your air conditioned den watching the Fan Network or whatever in your climate control, no more than six steps to the refrig, bathroom always at the ready.

Now imagine you're a MM trying to unlock that whole contraption just to do #1, let alone being a female MM or having to do #2 between the bus and the gate.

Sure you pseudo-designers have your grand ideas and fantasies but let's live in the real world of Texas temps for contests, Swamp Tour, and 90 days from ST to Finals.

Then again, this may be the only protection from the native insects that is helpful during Swamp Tour in the bayous...

But really if Cesario and Stan Berry had to wear their own creatopms for at least a week in the 100+ temps Texas and parts have for DCI, everyone's uni would more resemble VK rather than the Stormtroopers (dibs already belonging to Regt.'s snareline.)

Back in my day we wore insulated wool uniforms, our shoes had soles with 25 pounds of lead in them, and our hats were filled with glowing embers we had to save to start the next campfire because we didn't have fancy schmancy food trucks we had to set snares for rabbits before ensemble rehearsal. And we liked it, we liked it fine.

• Like 4

Back in my day we wore insulated wool uniforms, our shoes had soles with 25 pounds of lead in them, and our hats were filled with glowing embers we had to save to start the next campfire because we didn't have fancy schmancy food trucks we had to set snares for rabbits before ensemble rehearsal. And we liked it, we liked it fine.

setting snares for rabbits now reveals what was going on in that drum line. :-)

Edited by xandandl

...and we ate the cooked rabbits for dinner, but kept the foot all summer just for good luck.

Its all true. Every bit of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Next camp in two weeks. Should be the largest turnout of the offseason so far. We've had the cryptic reveal of the show theme. Maybe we'll get more info on Jan. 16? Licensing loose ends can make it problematic to announce specific musical compositions, so it's anyone's guess whether we'll learn more about the program. A peek at the new uniform, maybe?

And you were so poor, you couldn't even afford legs.

Sure you pseudo-designers have your grand ideas and fantasies but let's live in the real world)

You're cyber-bullying. Mods are being notified.

Next camp in two weeks. Should be the largest turnout of the offseason so far. We've had the cryptic reveal of the show theme. Maybe we'll get more info on Jan. 16? Licensing loose ends can make it problematic to announce specific musical compositions, so it's anyone's guess whether we'll learn more about the program. A peek at the new uniform, maybe?

I think the main question is: Can 1 or 2 sections in Troopers overtake Crossmen or Boston's respective sections? I think Troopers brass created a lot of momentum last season which can really propel them into this year. It will be interesting to see what the retention rate on brass will be and whether the average age of the brass line goes up this year. I think that has to happen to capitalize on the momentum brass created and maybe leapfrog Crossmen or Boston's brass. And I still think with Rennick's writing and his protege Lauren Teel there, percussion can also overtake either Crossmen and/or Boston's percussion sections.

This strikes me as a reasonable assessment. Troop brass already is top 12, just a notch above Crossmen in 2015, and the drums just a tick behind them -- essentially tied with Crossmen across the music captions. Had Troopers received a semis MA score that was more in line with their musical caption scores (judges couldn't make up their minds about Troop in 2015, ranking them anywhere from 10th to 16th in MA through the season), they likely would have finished among the top 12 in overall music.

The caption where Troop needs to make the most movement is visual. GE was 11th place in 2015, ahead of Xmen and BS, and that was with a visual score that was 14th. Given the amount of leverage visual has across the sheet, a push in visual achievement is likely to pay dividends. And that is exactly where the corps administration has devoted most of its attention this offseason.

We'll get a better read on retention at the upcoming camp. With a show title like "Hero," I'm expecting a big emphasis on the brass sound in 2016.