Cadets Guard vs. Crown Percussion

I love a good guard, but the 2015 Cadets took high brass and were 3 hundredths of a point from high percussion as well, and their drill was beast (although not perfectly clean). In my simple mind, this should not translate to a 4th place overall result; especially when the musical elements are so strong.

Contrast with 2014, where guard was second and drums were 4th, and the Cadets just missed holding onto Silver at Finals.

• Like 1

I love a good guard, but the 2015 Cadets took high brass and were 3 hundredths of a point from high percussion as well, and their drill was beast (although not perfectly clean). In my simple mind, this should not translate to a 4th place overall result; especially when the musical elements are so strong.

Contrast with 2014, where guard was second and drums were 4th, and the Cadets just missed holding onto Silver at Finals.

Don't blame me. The DCI Corps agreed on the revised DCI scoring sheets. They ( including the Cadets ) made their own bed.. so they get to sleep in that bed.

BD, since the beginning, has always figured out better than any other Corps, where the most build up points are to be had on any DCI Judging system that all the Corps decide on. They are the most adaptive and resilient Corps in the activity. BD was not always known for their great Guards. This was rarely their strongest section in their Corps. But they sure as heck are now. Thats because they understand the points to be had on the current DCI judging sheets, better than any other DCI Corps, imo. BD has had phenomenal Guards the last decade... and their staging with the Guards in the Visual realm, is where they tend to hit the ball right out of the park on the points to be most garnered on these current DCI scoring sheets, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The irony is that as the Drum Corps movement has more aligned itself with the Schools and Universities than ever before, attracted more Music Majors for example,...

Where Fine Arts is ascribed to Liberal Arts, it may be too little too late like many things in life. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/10/29/wartburg-college-and-other-liberal-arts-institutions-make-drastic-cuts-challenging

Don't blame me. The DCI Corps agreed on the revised DCI scoring sheets. They ( including the Cadets ) made their own bed.. so they get to sleep in that bed.

BD, since the beginning, has always figured out better than any other Corps, where the most build up points are to be had on any DCI Judging system that all the Corps decide on. They are the most adaptive and resilient Corps in the activity. BD was not always known for their great Guards. This was rarely their strongest section in their Corps. But they sure as heck are now. Thats because they understand the points to be had on the current DCI judging sheets, better than any other DCI Corps, imo. BD has had phenomenal Guards the last decade... and their staging with the Guards in the Visual realm, is where they tend to hit the ball right out of the park on the points to be most garnered on these current DCI scoring sheets, imo.

Perfectly stated. What's interesting is why it takes so long for other top WC to understand this. Cadets are a powerhouse but have had weak guards since around 2006. Bluecoats have also had unimpressive guards, certainly a few notches below their amazing brass n percussion lines. Crown has grasped this concept and have had pretty strong guards and last year they were just glorious. Should have won that caption but surely I digress.
  • Like 1

Perfectly stated. What's interesting is why it takes so long for other top WC to understand this. Cadets are a powerhouse but have had weak guards since around 2006. Bluecoats have also had unimpressive guards, certainly a few notches below their amazing brass n percussion lines. Crown has grasped this concept and have had pretty strong guards and last year they were just glorious. Should have won that caption but surely I digress.

Although Bluecoats are catching-up having taken 3rd in guard last year. Perhaps they are figuring things out, too.

its kinda funny. BD has had strong guards far more than the recent years BUT in at least a decade or 2 the formula has not changed. BD approaches their design, staging, visuals with a total package mentality. Visuals are for sure a game changer and iMO always have been ( ok always meaning the past several decades ) BUT it also takes a full package to be successful. Are sheets a consideration? of course they are. If any corps doesn't look at this they are being a bit foolish.

I also think there are corps who get this but gaining strength in membership and well as the right writers and techs also does not come easy. When looking at some guards toward the middle or bottom of WC it's easy to see many have the same issues. This could be very difficult to overcome. Not impossible but difficult.

Edited by GUARDLING

Even in the middle to lower tier of DCI placements, if you have to have a weak section among your placement peers in that DCI placement pecking order, make it Brass or Percussion.... not your Guard. Conversely, if you have a choice as to what will be your strongest section in your Corps... Brass, Percussion, or Guard, its a no brainer. Make it your Guard.

Edited by BRASSO

Even in the middle to lower tier of DCI placements, if you have to have a weak section among your placement peers in that DCI placement pecking order, make it Brass or Percussion.... not your Guard. Conversely, if you have a choice as to what will be your strongest section in your Corps... Brass, Percussion, or Guard, its a no brainer. Make it your Guard.

Edited by GUARDLING

The DCI Corps agreed on the revised DCI scoring sheets. has always figured out better than any other Corps Judging system that all the Corps decide on. judging sheets, better than any other DCI Corps garnered on these current DCI scoring sheets

:whistle:

Guard trophies for BD: 84, 86, 90, 92, 95, 97, 98, 99, 03, 06, 08, 09,10,11,12,13,14,15. (In 2004, they won guard in Finals by 0.3. If captions were averaged, Green won. If not, throw this one on the pile.) Ironically, 84 and 86 were AGAINST great Scott Chandler/Spirit teams.

Before 1975 BD was not known for their top-3 finishes, either.

• Like 1