West Coast whispers...

When Corps ask their fans to keep quiet, that seems to be a fair request, and to the credit of the fans, 99% of fans ( such as yourself ) honor that request to keep quiet. The issue however is why a hobby that is struggling to grow a fan base, believes that this new trend to go dark for approx. 40 out of 52 weeks of the year now is the way to maintain and grow fan interest in an activity that goes dark for so much of the year, each year.

I haven't asked BK why they wait as long as they do before they announce their show/music and I don't know if they think delaying their announcement is a way to maintain and grow fan interest. Perhaps they have other reasons that they keep to themselves. I'm willing to abide by their reasons...whatever they are.

In any case, I seriously doubt their delay impinges on fan interest in any way. Heck, the buzz here on DCP should attest to that. There are already threads and discussions about every world class corps.

When Corps ask their fans to keep quiet, that seems to be a fair request, and to the credit of the fans, 99% of fans ( such as yourself ) honor that request to keep quiet. The issue however is why a hobby that is struggling to grow a fan base, believes that this new trend to go dark for approx. 40 out of 52 weeks of the year now is the way to maintain and grow fan interest in an activity that goes dark for so much of the year, each year.

I agree. 99% is probably pretty close to accurate. Every once in while, someone goes Wolf Blitzer on us. When that happens, it's not just a slap to the organization, but to the 150 marching members who bust their @$$ off to perform their show.

Has the possibility if a show is announced and future mm do not audition because of perceptions of the show ever been discussed? Get the contract signed first.

While music may excite and draw MMs, show theme or show publicity may turn off as many as it entices. The snip and paste cut-up of the music disappoints MMs too.

MMs are quite astute at suspecting when designers or admin seem to be convincing themselves as much as the auditionees and general fan base about how wonderful a show theme will be and the reality of what it is when it is plated for the judges in August.

There is some great wisdom and prudence in the silence of Crown, the transparency of Cadets, the approach of others to ascertain licensing first; but there are also consequences to each of these different approaches.

I've always wanted to lock the admins, publicity persons, and show designers in a room the night before prelims and make them watch and hear every notice given since last Championships about how great their imagined show would be. Penalty enough when dreams hit reality. But these same folks will have a dozen spins ready to defend themselves, and I'm not talking about rifles and flags twirling in circles.

Edited by xandandl

There is no evidence that I'm aware of that supports the notion that providing fans a lot of offseason information ( early and often ) on music hurts a Corps.

Its just the opposite as a matter of fact... and we do have evidence to support the position that the early and often dissemination of music, including music clips, has no negative effects on a Corps that season.

For example :... One would be hard pressed to name another Corps that gave the public more ( and early ) information on Music than did The Cadets in their offseason of 2011 with their " Between Angels & Demons " show. They not only gave us offseason music clips from winter practices frequently that offseason, they gave the public a full musical standstill of the entire musical show in the early spring. What was the fan reaction to the music heard ? Well, it ran the gamut (of course) from the highly complimentary to the highly critical, some of it very critical. But heres the thing , it really didn't matter what the music selected was, not even how it was played in a practice standstill that everybody could watch live and then comment on. It would be the field VISUAL that would principally determine how this Corps would fare later that season. ( not unsurprisingly ).

When I watched the Cadets produce their entire music in a practice standstill that off season, I was not particularly impressed with the music selected, nor its arrangements, and said as much here on DCP. But later, when I saw this music put to the VISUAL ( and with their Guard ) in their first show in June in the Cinema, (where they placed 4th), I said here on DCP that if they just cleaned this show up, they could win it all come August. And by August, they did clean the Visual up, and they did win themselves a DCI Title that season. SO.... what did we learn ? Did the Cadets early exposure of the music to the public, and its being played and recorded ( including some criticisms of the music, and its sound, in some quarters ) hurt them that season ? No. Not in the least. Once the Music being played in a standstill was put to the VISUAL later, everything changed, and in a major way too. So this notion that allowing fans to hear some music in the offseason might somehow hurt Corps has no evidence to support this, imo. Plus, what prevents all the Corps from letting us hear the brass play simple brass exercises.. or drummers play drumming exercises ? at any and all of their practices ? None, as near as I can tell. So this off season secrecy thing seems to be a policy that neither hurts nor helps a Corps, once the competition season unfolds. As a result, all these DCI corps might want to rethink this current policy of going so dark in the off season, and utilize the example of The Cadets of 2011 as a newer, fresher, more fan friendly model to adopt that provided fans lots of music clips in the winter and spring at camps and practices, and in the end did not hurt them in the least from becoming the DCI Champions for 2011.

Edited by BRASSO

I know Bluecoats keep their show quiet and ask fans to do the same because they want to have a big reveal at the first show in Indy. I think it is reasonable, and besides, they have threatened those who leak information that they will invite them to every possible game on Facebook for the entire summer.

There is no evidence that I'm aware of that supports the notion that providing fans a lot of offseason information ( early and often ) on music hurts a Corps.

Its just the opposite as a matter of fact... and we do have evidence to support the position that the early and often dissemination of music... including music clips..... has no negative effects on a Corps that season.

For example : One would be hard pressed to name another Corps that gave the public more ( and early ) information on Music than did The Cadets in 2011 with their " Between Angels & Demons " show. They not only gave us offseason music clips from winter practices frequently that offseason, they gave the public a full musical standstill of the entire musical show in the spring. What was the fan reaction to the music heard ? Well, it ran the gamut (of course) from the highly complimentary to the highly critical, some of it very critical. But heres the thing.... it really doesn't matter what the music selected was, not even how it was played in a practice standstill that everybody could watch. It would be the VISUAL that would determine how this Corps would fare ( not unsurpringly ).

When I watched the Cadets produce in standtill their music in that offseason, I was not particularly imnpressed.. and said as much here on DCP. But later... when I saw this music put to the VISUAL ( and with their Guard ) in their first show in June in the Cinema, where they placed 3rd, I said that if they just clean this puppy up, they could win it all come August. And by August, they did clean the Visual up, and they won themselves a DCI Title that season. SO.... what did we learn ? Did the Cadets early exposure of the music, and its being played and recorded ( including some criticisms of the music, and its sound, in some quarters ) hurt them that season ? No. Not in the least. Once the Music being played in a standstill was put to the VISUAL later, everything changed, and in a major way too. So this notion that allowing fans to hear some music in the offseason might somehow hurt Corps has no evidence to support this, imo. Plus, what prevents all the Corps from letting us hear the brass playing simple brass exercises.. or drummers playing drumming exercises... at any and all of their practices ? None, as near as I can tell. So this offseason secrecy thing seems to be a policy that neither hurts not helps a Corps, once the competition season unfolds.

Angels and Demons was 2011 award winning show.

2012 was the "Christmas show" which may regain popularity in the next two weeks.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

show choices i've heard that may or may not be factual:

Pink Floyd's the Wall

Journey's greatest hits

A malaguena fans dream featuring Malaga

The music that almost sounds like John Williams but isn't

adele's overplayed indoor guard hits

Stuff you never heard before, will complain about til you hear it

synths aplenty.....one synth players dream

stuff other corps did and won't be done as well

power chords with body

"Oh god, not again!"

A tribue to Dumb Trump quotes

:ninja:

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

A tribue to Dumb Trump quotes

:ninja:

All of which can be fit into the time constraints of a full DCI show??? (Although I guess it's possible to simply do an echo-verb rendition of "Bimbo, gutless, stupid, jacka##, etc. repeatedly for 11 minutes.)

Edited by HornTeacher

Boston used to have a large Veteran's Day parade and that was a good way to learn what new music a corps was playing besides seeing how large their sections were..

yup...bitd even in the fall you could tell, at least a bit what they were learning or as you said about sections. Today it's nearly impossible to tell how large a section would be or what musict corps aren't local as they were. I totally get the silence from corps. Just look at the arm chair critics when cadets announce early. everything from how they should do something to OH NO not that again or the cheese fest etc etc.

Some feel ( as i think we know who ) as long as they talk who the heck cares what's said or who say's it but there are those who dont want the early critiques ( totally understandable ) Personally I think we should welcome those who choose to announce and encourage and support the fact they shared BUT respect those who choose not to for some very good reasons. JMO

BITD we also didnt have the internet to talk . It was either hear say or Drum Corps world ( the paper copy..lol ) There's the good and bad of that.

Edited by GUARDLING