2016 DCI Live!

It is nice they have put out their webcast schedule well in advance. Last year was so darned annoying not knowing until the very last minute. I know a lot is beyond DCI's control, but their lack of communication has been even more annoying.

I don't know all of the circumstances, but reading over the comments, I have wondered something. It seems like it would be possible to keep the streams up longer, but there would be an additional cost to do it from Tresona, or maybe I am misunderstanding that? So wouldn't it be in DCI's best interest to find out what that additional cost would be, figure it into what they would have to charge for it, and possibly send an email to all past subscribers telling them what the cost of the subscription would be, then ask subscribers if they would rather have the live play option for $100 for the season or get playback on demand for a certain period of time for $149 for the season. I would gladly pay another $49 a year so that everyone could have the option to watch the shows when they have time. And DCI may come out ahead, because they have probably lost many subscribers who don't want to have to pay that much when they may only get to watch one or two shows live. So the number of subscribers they gain, minus the number of subscribers they may lose who can't afford another $29, 49, or 79 a year on top of the $100 a year current price, they could possible come out even better financially, and I bet their approval rate would go through the roof for at least allowing the people who help to keep DCI afloat possibly help make some decisions.

I'm confident that DCI has a good handle on what people are likely to pay for varying tiers and types of service. I know I have taken part in a couple surveys over the past few years, And I have no doubt that they have received cost/rate information on many properties from rights holders.

While the pure direct cost is one (obviously important) factor. There are other indirect costs and impacts that I am sure DCI has to consider when doing business with the likes of Tresona. And some of those factors probably prohibit sharing much detail. I appreciate their FAQ. I thought it was helpful and overdue. It is tough to be in that position of wanting to share information while not confusing the customer's expectations. They handled it well. There was a lot of words, but a lot of ground was covered.

As a member of a local circuit fighting over this stuff, I don't envy any of these groups dealing with this licensing struggle.

• Like 1

yeah i'm pretty sure DCI knows the financial pros and cons of all forms of licensing, and in fact it may also be a cost issue with the content provider NuLion or whatever their name is. keeping that stuff on the website for a long time hogs space.

I remember a well placed source telling that the amount of space WGI ate up keeping archives for forever was incredible.that stuff aint cheap

according to them, given the amount of space decades worth of shows uses, no.

My 2 cents.

I understand that I am not typical. This is not a complaint on DCI. Just another personal take to be shared.

My schedule has way too many fluctuations to know if I will be available for live viewings. It is nice that they are getting it out there now. But, honestly, they could put the same thing out on June 10th and I would still be hesitant to pull the trigger. Again, based on my personal schedules. No DVR, on-demand, historical playback, even if it is was just a 3 to 5 day window, is an absolute deal breaker for me.

In in the same boat. I have a life on weekends, I just can't dedicate 4+ hours on a weekend to a webcast. I know there is blame to go on everyone, except the consumers of course. I won't be plugging down the hundo for streaming when I can't use it at all. Maybe there will be done illegal captures on reddit again. It stinks but this is where we are at and not likely to change in the next few years. This is a dire time for our activity...hopefully a better deal can come forth...but I don't think it will.

exactly. storing all that video in HD if possible.....yeah not cheap.

and sure i'd love DVR too. But it is what it is, and right now, some is better than none.

Where else would they keep the archives? It's not like either place has a vault set at the right temperatures to keep the masters

• Like 1