2016 DCI Live!

Have you never heard of the Rule of Three?

Is that like the Nuclear Triad?

• Like 2

Have you never heard of the Rule of Three?

Is that like the Nuclear Triad?

Rule of Three: First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.

• Like 8

Rule of Three: First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.

That reminds me, though I'm pretty sure it's been suggested before, that it could be great fun for a corps should put on a Monty Python show (although that would probably run into a slew of DVD problems).

Speaking of the "Rule of Three", I saw two marching bands this fall perform numerical shows titled, respectively, "The Power of One" and simply "3". The former included various "I" and "1" drill formations, as well as a guard outfit on which the number "1" was visible if the guard held a particular stance. The latter, although it included one appearance of a large "3" in the drill, was primarily a story show (sans narration) focusing on an apparently mystic triangle and the three (very talented) horn players who were charged with protecting it. I liked them both, but "3" was particularly impressive in light of the school's size: the 9th-12th grade enrollment totals about 250, which is smaller than the membership of a few large high school bands.

And of course, SCV played "3hree: Mind, Body, Soul" in 2008.

That reminds me, though I'm pretty sure it's been suggested before, that it could be great fun for a corps should put on a Monty Python show (although that would probably run into a slew of DVD problems).

That has been mentioned before, but I am a little leery. A LOT of what is funny about Monty Python are the visuals and the dialogue/lyrics. Some of the actual music is pretty generic and lame...and that is the point of it. "Spamalot" has a few good tunes, but unless you sang the vocals, and put in the hilarious visuals, it would not be a very good show, IMO. "Funny" is very hard to pull off in marching/music.

Is this from show last summer, he, he?

That has been mentioned before, but I am a little leery. A LOT of what is funny about Monty Python are the visuals and the dialogue/lyrics. Some of the actual music is pretty generic and lame...and that is the point of it. "Spamalot" has a few good tunes, but unless you sang the vocals, and put in the hilarious visuals, it would not be a very good show, IMO. "Funny" is very hard to pull off in marching/music.

We came thiiiiis close to having a Monty Python show in '97. VK was set to perform "Velvet Knights and the Holy Grail." Then the corps folded in the offseason... :(

Mike

Same goes with a PDQ Bach type of show, I guess. However, I personally think that it would definitely be possible in a "Blast" type setting. In any event, I'm not sure when I'll be done laughing just thinking about it.