2015 DCI DVD/Blu-Ray to be Top-12 Only

I'm livid about this. I completely understand why DCI is doing it right now, but it hurts to realize that we're not going to be getting official recordings of some of the non-Finalists. There have been so many shows that have been lost to the ages because they didn't cross that magic 12th place barrier and I don't want to go back to that world.

Both Colts and Troopers put on AMAZING shows this year. I'm not arguing that they deserved to compete on Saturday based on the current rules*, but IMO any honest retrospective of the 2015 season has to include those shows and not some Finalists that I felt "coasted" in terms of design. I think it was a good year but there are at least five shows in the Top 12 that I'm never going to watch again. Instead, I want to see the emotion on the face of Troop's DM at the end of their Semis show. I want two copies of Colts: one for each ending.

And yet, I can't come up with a "fair" solution that would give me what I want. The current scoring system is as good anything, it's certainly better than "I want what I think is best", but we're reaching a point where 12 isn't going to be the magic number anymore. Maybe start expanding the collection to 15 corps like the Prelims Broadcast?

--

* It's getting ridiculous that there's not a "Wild Card" exhibition spot at Finals. Troop was 11th in GE at Semis, why not let them perform? Why not Colts last year? As the overall talent level improves more and more spectacular productions are going to miss out on Saturday and it's about time that we give them their due. Reward corps for reaching for that brass ring.

Edited by Pinwiz

I'm livid about this. I completely understand why DCI is doing it right now, but it hurts to realize that we're not going to be getting official recordings of some of the non-Finalists. There have been so many shows that have been lost to the ages because they didn't cross that magic 12th place barrier and I don't want to go back to that world.

Both Colts and Troopers put on AMAZING shows this year. I'm not arguing that they deserved to compete on Saturday based on the current rules*, but IMO any honest retrospective of the 2015 season has to include those shows and not some Finalists that I felt "coasted" in terms of design. I think it was a good year but there are at least five shows in the Top 12 that I'm never going to watch again. Instead, I want to see the emotion on the face of Troop's DM at the end of their Semis show. I want two copies of Colts: one for each ending.

And yet, I can't come up with a "fair" solution that would give me what I want. The current scoring system is as good anything, it's certainly better than "I want what I think is best", but we're reaching a point where 12 isn't going to be the magic number anymore. Maybe start expanding the collection to 15 corps like the Prelims Broadcast?

--

* It's getting ridiculous that there's not a "Wild Card" exhibition spot at Finals. Troop was 11th in GE at Semis, why not let them perform? Why not Colts last year? As the overall talent level improves more and more spectacular productions are going to miss out on Saturday and it's about time that we give them their due. Reward corps for reaching for that brass ring.

Because this lends itself to the age of "everyone gets a trophy". You start with one, and then you go to 15, and then someone else further down the pipe whines, and then its 21... etc etc etc. if you're really worried about seeing their shows again, call the corps and see if you can order what they are providing for their members. See if they're going to issue a "best of" the past few years like they have before. And buy it. You'll support the corps more directly than if you purchased from DCI.

• Like 3

--

Preach it sister!

This is the reason so many of us miss Fan Network. We could access some of the non top 12 ( and Open Class ) shows that we liked. I can think of at least a dozen non finalist shows and or Open Class shows over the years that were far more intriguing and interesting than even some of the TOP 12 Finalists. We could access these on Fan Network archives whenever we wanted to. And they were not degraded visually like they can be if we are lucky to find someone put them up on Youtube. So I understand the point being made here by the OP... and I share his frustrations on the central point that he is making.

Edited by BRASSO

Because this lends itself to the age of "everyone gets a trophy". You start with one, and then you go to 15, and then someone else further down the pipe whines, and then its 21... etc etc etc. if you're really worried about seeing their shows again, call the corps and see if you can order what they are providing for their members. See if they're going to issue a "best of" the past few years like they have before. And buy it. You'll support the corps more directly than if you purchased from DCI.

Wait for it... Jannuals are coming

This isn't "everyone gets a trophy", it's how can DCI #GrowDrumCorps better. 12 corps is probably the best number for Finals night due to time constraints, but there's nothing that says it's a requirement for the video release. Shows like Troop and Colts are going to expand the potential audience more than Generic Finalists 1 and 2 and should have been included.

If we're in a new world then so be it, but at least all options should be on the table.

--

the amount of revenue in sales for corps 13-down is less than the costs of licensing clearances bottom line.

• Like 3

Oh c'mon Jeff we're talking what people want, not what help$ DCI to $urvive.......

s/ guy still looking for recording of full field show of his first year...... (Carlisle was half a show)

This isn't "everyone gets a trophy", it's how can DCI #GrowDrumCorps better. 12 corps is probably the best number for Finals night due to time constraints, but there's nothing that says it's a requirement for the video release. Shows like Troop and Colts are going to expand the potential audience more than Generic Finalists 1 and 2 and should have been included.

If we're in a new world then so be it, but at least all options should be on the table.

If DCI is going to releasing only the top 12 finalists on DVD, down the road would they even bother paying the expenses of recording semis or prelims?

If DCI is going to releasing only the top 12 finalists on DVD, down the road would they even bother paying the expenses of recording semis or prelims?

I would think so, because prelims is the Theater broadcast (including clips of each corps from 16 and under, and Semis is broadcast online. They will be broadcasting both live, so I don't think they would NOT record while broadcasting

Edited by leed17