Stanford Band at it again...

I just wish Cal's football team would run over the Stanford band EVERY year! :thumbdown:

Ironically, Northern Illinois football players did this very thing with a DCI Corps a few years ago (ie, " ran over them " ), but most here on DCP were horrified with that incident. I'm not sure a Marching Band ( or Drum Corps if we prefer) that we don't particularly like should be " run over " and subjected to possble physical injury as a result. That said, if people want to see Marching Band members run over by football players, they are entitled to that hoped for future occurance.... but it does seem quite a bit extreme to me to call for something like this to occur once again to a marching band and its members.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Sanfords band was out on the field before the game was over....... that is if we're talking about that multiple laterals to end the game...

I remember it because it "ruined" (his words) John Elways final college game. Elway later threatened to become a baseball player because he didn't want to go to Baltimore after the Colts drafted him. Probably most hated FB figure in Bal-mur until Robert "Mr Mayflower" Irsay moved the team to Indy.

Mr Mayflower - Irsay used Mayflower moving vans to move the teams crap in the dark. Word got out and all the local news crews were lined up at the entrance to Colts training facility filming the vans leaving town.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Sanfords band was out on the field before the game was over....... that is if we're talking about that multiple laterals to end the game...

I remember it because it "ruined" (his words) John Elways final college game. Elway later threatened to become a baseball player because he didn't want to go to Baltimore after the Colts drafted him. Probably most hated FB figure in Bal-mur until Robert "Mr Mayflower" Irsay moved the team to Indy.

Mr Mayflower - Irsay used Mayflower moving vans to move the teams crap in the dark. Word got out and all the local news crews were lined up at the entrance to Colts training facility filming the vans leaving town.

Elway looked at the Colts and figured the Colts band ( now Ravens band) could beat them

• Like 2

1978 Westshore did the Colts home opener at Memorial Stadium. That was the year the Colts were out scored 0-80 in their first two games. Guards were calling them the Baltimore scrubs. Parking lot guards wanted to charge our buses for parking (NICE 4 lettered argument with Howie). And before the game we wanted to do a run thru as had been a few weeks. Ooops don't go on one knee at the end of the show.... too much broken glass on the parking lot. At least one bus left end of 3rd quarter (we were allowed beer after we did halftime so really didn't see the 3rd quarter). Hope the check was nice.....

PS if you ever get a chance to see the ESPN 30 on 30 episode on the Colts band, it's worth the hour....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I am shocked the Stanford Band is banned from traveling to away games for one year. They should be banned from ALL games, permanently or until such time a professional band director is placed in charge.

The Stanford band is totally classless and serves no purpose except to embarrass the marching community. All marching members from HS bands, to college bands, to drum and bugle corps are marked when this travesty of a marching program does, well, virtually anything.

Tear it down and start over. Or just give the program the death penalty like they do football programs that cannot be redeemed. Either way, marching band and drum corps members and their fans win. Give the extra time on the field at halftime to classy bands, like Iowa.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

Ironically, Northern Illinois football players did this very thing with a DCI Corps a few years ago (ie, " ran over them " ), but most here on DCP were horrified with that incident. I'm not sure a Marching Band ( or Drum Corps if we prefer) that we don't particularly like should be " run over " and subjected to possble physical injury as a result. That said, if people want to see Marching Band members run over by football players, they are entitled to that hoped for future occurance.... but it does seem quite a bit extreme to me to call for something like this to occur once again to a marching band and its members.

Oh for Petes sake he wasn't seeious, he didn't call for it to be done, injury wasn't the objective in the actual game, and to my knowledge nobody was hurt when it happened.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cal football player and Stanford trombone player went on to get along just fine, being called on to make numerous appearances together.

Oh for Petes sake he wasn't seeious, he didn't call for it to be done, injury wasn't the objective in the actual game, and to my knowledge nobody was hurt when it happened.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cal football player and Stanford trombone player went on to get along just fine, being called on to make numerous appearances together.

Cal Football Player: "Hey, man...I'm really, really sorry. And sorry about your horn."

Stanford Band Member: "Hey, thanks. And no problem...let it slide."

• Like 4

the average college football fan, you know those who see these bands most, IF they watch the band, only want loud and certain songs with meaning to pump up the crowd.

or to watch a sousa player bow

It's called tradition. Something that the DCI corps thumbed their noses at long ago.

I really don't understand all the hue-and-cry over the Stanford Band. They are, after all, in the Pantheon of Great College Football Marching Band moments.

The Ohio State University -- Dotting the "I" in the script "Ohio"

University of Michigan -- The block "M" accompanied by "Hail To The Victors"

University of Southern California -- "Conquest" accompanied by a Trojan on a white horse

Stanford University -- The Tumble-Rooskie