2016 Uniform Thread

I'm an old guy (65). Never needed to pay much attention to uniform changes, having enjoyed corps since the early 1960s. I am fascinated by this current reveal. Maybe, not so much the uniforms (?) but the SIZE of the statement being made for the activity going forward. We have officially entered the DCI Era of Costumes. It's been developing slowly, and now it's here!

Seems to me, annual new imaging is now a requirement to participate at the highest of levels. No one will chance being "left behind." Not even the audience, who will await whatever new visions come next. Traditions tossed aside. There is a certain outrageous flamboyance blooming here that will be impossible to restrain.

LOUD is Good, becomes WOW is Good, I suppose.

Unlike others, I can see this creativity in dress working better on screen, than on the field. The little details here will be underappreciated from a distance, I think. Except the ridiculous "Full Face" thing. Those kids will be seen by airline passengers! Fine with me, I mostly watch from home these days.

Looking forward to this evening. Enjoy!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

I think all the comments here are pretty hilarious. On one hand, u got the traditionalists talking about modern unis looking terrible. On the other hand are the more progressive peeps talking about how amazing and futuristic unis have become. No one is wrong it's just opinion, but perhaps traditional or modern we should see the full corps in their gear before trashing or loving too much. Things always look way different in the larger scheme than they do in a close up one on one pic.

For me, the jury is still out, why rush to judgement one way or the other? Let's see the corps take the field and we'll see if what they're wearing makes sense or looks like a poopcycle. Just saying...

Wes P

Does anyone know if the Cadets will be in the regular black uniforms tonight or the modified version?

Here's a member of Phantom in uniform:

https://imgur.com/a/IxrGl

It actually looks nicer than I thought. There IS a sash, but it's black and you can't see it very well. The triangle is a flap that appears to start from under the sash. It's almost like Blue Knights '07-'13:

http://www.marching.com/photos/2008-dci-world-championship-quarterfinals-photos/blue-knights.jpg

...and also the Marching Southerners' unis from last year:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/annistonstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/ee/7ee79e10-52a2-11e5-a98f-4bad9d357826/55e8f0cd33ab5.image.jpg

Here's a member of Phantom in uniform:

https://imgur.com/a/IxrGl

It actually looks nicer than I thought. There IS a sash, but it's black and you can't see it very well. The triangle is a flap that appears to start from under the sash. It's almost like Blue Knights '07-'13:

http://www.marching.com/photos/2008-dci-world-championship-quarterfinals-photos/blue-knights.jpg

...and also the Marching Southerners' unis from last year:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/annistonstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/ee/7ee79e10-52a2-11e5-a98f-4bad9d357826/55e8f0cd33ab5.image.jpg

Wow color me surprised! Didn't like it at all from the picture they gave us but this looks really good!

LOUD is Good, becomes WOW is Good, I suppose.

Uniform " loudness " is good. Brassline " loudness " however, must be viewed in the context of whether or not the brassline's "loudness" is properly " controlled " or not. There is no such " control " requirement however in this costuming ( your word, here )" flamboyance " loudness that you here mentioned. This is how we define " loudness " being good between the two...... here in 2016, Fred.

Edited by BRASSO

Does anyone know if the Cadets will be in the regular black uniforms tonight or the modified version?

Modified.

As of last night, ensemble was performed in black coat with the new marble-white sash, with guard in their marble-white costumes. I believe the new plumes arrived at camp last night (too late for ensemble, but in time for tonight.)

This is just one person's opine on uniforms versus costumes. I hope the activity does not move more toward costumes. Idon't want to one day find I can't tell who is who, because of the amount of costuming a corps evolved to. I don't believe it is a dino mindset to want most aspects of DRUM CORPS to remain drum corps. I don't understand the arms race mentality to make the activity something it isn't. Many changes to Drum Corps have been discussed for inclusion in productions (instrumentation, electronics) with some changes being implemented and accepted by one time resistant audiences. However my concern, not a fear, is that at some point Drum Corps will become unrecognizable as Drum Corps. Which IMO is a truly unique activity and why I enjoy for that reason.

Drum Corps can also evolve, and has greatly over the past few years. Shows/productions are nothing like they were even 5 or 10 years ago. Production & performance quality on the platform DCI presents the activity, is where I believe DCI differentiates itself form other similar activities such as WGI, and Band. Yet, each activity can help the other without creating that homogenous soup it could become.

To bring this back to the topic. IMO, I believe uniforms should remain uniforms; be creatively tweaked, modified and enhanced, enabling organizations to maintain long held identities and for audiences to continue to know & support them. This is being done by some corps now, yet other corps it seems to me, are deciding full corps annualized costuming is the way to go. I am not convinced this is the path Drum Corps should take for the long term organizational sustainability and the audience.

This is just one person's opine on uniforms versus costumes. I hope the activity does not move more toward costumes. Idon't want to one day find I can't tell who is who, because of the amount of costuming a corps evolved to. I don't believe it is a dino mindset to want most aspects of DRUM CORPS to remain drum corps. I don't understand the arms race mentality to make the activity something it isn't. Many changes to Drum Corps have been discussed for inclusion in productions (instrumentation, electronics) with some changes being implemented and accepted by one time resistant audiences. However my concern, not a fear, is that at some point Drum Corps will become unrecognizable as Drum Corps. Which IMO is a truly unique activity and why I enjoy for that reason.

Drum Corps can also evolve, and has greatly over the past few years. Shows/productions are nothing like they were even 5 or 10 years ago. Production & performance quality on the platform DCI presents the activity, is where I believe DCI differentiates itself form other similar activities such as WGI, and Band. Yet, each activity can help the other without creating that homogenous soup it could become.

To bring this back to the topic. IMO, I believe uniforms should remain uniforms; be creatively tweaked, modified and enhanced, enabling organizations to maintain long held identities and for audiences to continue to know & support them. This is being done by some corps now, yet other corps it seems to me, are deciding full corps annualized costuming is the way to go. I am not convinced this is the path Drum Corps should take for the long term organizational sustainability and the audience.

While I agree with you in many aspects, I think the costuming concept is quickly becoming more of the norm. While I prefer the traditional uniforms because I grew up in that era, I understand the costume idea as well.

Just a bit of devils advocate here.... If s corps can save money by replacing say- spandex under a uni shell to create a different look, it does make sense. Comfort and coolness is also way better in a more modern costume/uni. And as u stated, the show specific design provides more detail to the thematic material. I'd say this- if the costume idea came to a close and traditional unis came back? If love life. But, I appreciate the reasonings and concepts behind the new style of design as well.

WP